The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

7 minutes ago, johnstone said:

He has signed these guys cos other players must be leaving. I would be amazed if Carson, Kipre and Campbell are still at the club for the start of the new season.

Carson will be sold this window,kipre until Jan at least and Campbell until at least next summer. Caden will be sometime in between that

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Carson 

Tait                    Kipre.                    Hartley                Dunne

Cadden.                  Donnelly.                Sinclair 

Campbell                  Tanner 

Main 

Motherwell kabaddi formation 18/19

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I would laugh my tits off if Yodo’s predicted players and formation becomes a reality.

The new signings are most likely replacements for those in the exit lounge. That said, with the squad we have have now, the fashionable 4231 would be interesting 

Carson

Tait                               Kipre.                         Hartley.                       Taylor Sinclair

Campbell                  Gorrin

Cadden.                                                                                                      Frear

Tanner

Main

Took ages to space that out on the iPad and it still looks shit.......but you get the gist 

Looking at the squad, in a “depth chart” way (not counting some of the youngsters who haven’t really played) , we’re definitely anticipating some outgoings in the midfield area, but everywhere else we look to have just enough coverage and no more.

Keeper: Carson, Gillespie, Ferguson

Right FB / WB - Tait,  Cadden, Donnelly

Left FB / WB - ATS, Tait, Frear, Dunne

CB - Kipre, hartley, dunne, Donnelly, McGuire 

CM - mchugh, campbell, cadden, Gorrin, bigi, Turnbull, rose, grimshaw

AM / Wingers - Frear, Tanner, Mclean (out on loan)

Forward - Main, Bowman, Johnson, Newell, Tanner 

I agree with your overall thinking Fizoxy but still think we're light up front and expect another striker to arrive. I don't think Tanner is an out and out striker and don't know much about Johnson's position ie AM or striker.

Those suggesting a back four with Kipré and Hartley at centre back and not Dunne need their heads read. His pace and the fact he's left footed means he's always likely to be one of the first names on the team sheet. 

Regards departures. At least one midfielder, possibly two, will leave. I suspect Frear might want away but were we to let the only natural winger in our squad go, it truly would leave us with no plan B. 

Could we avoid relegation after selling Carson, Kipré, Campbell and Cadden? Would be an interesting challenge...

• Like 2

Well, on paper, that squad looks stronger than the end of last season. I do expect a couple of players to be on their way out and then it begins to look a little more interesting.

One of the keys is Carson. Showed last season the difference a quality goalkeeper can make, but surely will be away before the transfer window closes. That leaves us with Gillespie and Ferguson. We have to hope that Gillespie proves an able replacement, or do we bet against this by bringing in another experienced goalie?

Defence looks pretty much sorted. I was a big fan of Alfred and therefore disappointed that we did not get him on a permanent deal, but life goes on and hopefully Donnelly can prove himself. Hartley back fit and a proper left back in Taylor-Sinclair are both pluses.

Midfield is currently where we have a bit of a log jam. I still expect to see at least a couple move on with Bigi and Frear being the most likely to do so. Questions must also be asked about the role and future of McHugh. It will be interesting to see if he retains the captaincy.

Up front, we still look a little short on goals, though we can but hope that the signing of Johnson will help in that regard. The return of Tanner, if successful and when it happens, will be an added bonus.

At the moment, things look okay if somewhat uninspiring. We currently benefit from the fact that a number of our squad are fairly versatile and cover more than one position - Tait, Cadden, Tanner... What will be interesting will be how it looks on the 1st of September after some of the excess has been trimmed from the midfield and a few of our saleable assets have been removed from the picture. In my opinion, there is still room for at least two or three additions ( perhaps loans) if these circumstances pan out. Otherwise, the squad may look a little thin come mid November

1 hour ago, Gadgey said:

I would laugh my tits off if Yodo’s predicted players and formation becomes a reality.

The new signings are most likely replacements for those in the exit lounge. That said, with the squad we have have now, the fashionable 4231 would be interesting 

Carson

Tait                               Kipre.                         Hartley.                       Taylor Sinclair

Campbell                  Gorrin

Cadden.                                                                                                      Frear

Tanner

Main

Took ages to space that out on the iPad and it still looks shit.......but you get the gist 

Replace Frear with Taylor-Sinclair and bring in Dunne and I could go with that. Given his form after the Winter break I just cannot understand why anyone in their right mind would dump Dunne. Seems like there are still a lot of haters out there, irrespective of how he performs.

But I think Robinson will definitely start with McHugh and I'm not convinced Johnson is here to sit on the bench. Also I suspect Tanner will need time to get properly match fit.

But isn't it refreshing to have decent options. Good luck Mr Robinson

• Like 1

Robinson said we lacked depth last season.  While some of the new faces will no doubt be contenders for first team spots, there's no point in shipping out too many players or we'll end up in the same boat. 

8 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Those suggesting a back four with Kipré and Hartley at centre back and not Dunne need their heads read. His pace and the fact he's left footed means he's always likely to be one of the first names on the team sheet. 

This....there is no way that Dunne is getting dropped

11 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Regards departures. At least one midfielder, possibly two, will leave. I suspect Frear might want away but were we to let the only natural winger in our squad go, it truly would leave us with no plan B. 

Could we avoid relegation after selling Carson, Kipré, Campbell and Cadden? Would be an interesting challenge...

I do actually agree with you re Dunne as I think he’s excellent and have never said anything negative about him n always thought he’d come good  but that’s the harsh reality we have with a competitive team now.

I’d be amazed if Dunn did not start and I don’t see Robinson changing from his favoured formation, why should he, it works in the main. I would also agree the set up does Cadden no favours though. 

A strange one with Bigi. I like the guy and genuinely believe there is a player there. Perhaps wrong place at the wrong time in terms of how Robinson sets us up to play. Whilst he has not set the heather on fire I always thought he added some composure and skill to the midfield when he came on as a sub. 

IMHO he is the player most likely to leave but actually show us what we we re missing if he gets a good club and one that plays to his strengths. Then again maybe he is just average and will not be missed. We shall no doubt find out soon enough. 

Bigirimana is a funny one. I reckon at the start of the season was pencilled in for a starting spot but he missed the Rangers game and Rose came in and did alright. Allan Campbell made a strong case very early on for a starting spot and we seemed to develop a style of play more suited to the likes of Campbell and Grimshaw than Bigirimana (one could argue it's also the reason Bowman started more than Ciftci). 

Where the argument for that falls down is the fact that Tanner managed to force his way into the midfield three. Different type of player but certainly a creative player and the fact that he was preferred to Bigirimana suggests that Robinson didn't like what Bigirimana was offering.  

I remember the 2-2 draw at Easter Road and the Scottish Cup final, two games where I felt he came on and made a difference, and I think there's a player there that could do a job at our level but suspect we won't see it at Fir Park. I might be wrong and if Cadden or Campbell move on along with young guys going on loan, there may be a place for him in the squad but I would be surprised. 

I like him so wouldn't be upset if he stayed. But, like Cadden, I suspect we may be the wrong team for him right now...

42 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Bigirimana is a funny one. I reckon at the start of the season was pencilled in for a starting spot but he missed the Rangers game and Rose came in and did alright. Allan Campbell made a strong case very early on for a starting spot and we seemed to develop a style of play more suited to the likes of Campbell and Grimshaw than Bigirimana (one could argue it's also the reason Bowman started more than Ciftci). 

Where the argument for that falls down is the fact that Tanner managed to force his way into the midfield three. Different type of player but certainly a creative player and the fact that he was preferred to Bigirimana suggests that Robinson didn't like what Bigirimana was offering.  

Did he?

While they were both at the club:
- Ciftci started 11 from a possible 22 games (2 of which he was ineligible to play in anyway) and missed 5 through injury.
- Bowman started 9 from a possible 22 games and missed 7 through injury.

38 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Did he?

While they were both at the club:
- Ciftci started 11 from a possible 22 games (2 of which he was ineligible to play in anyway) and missed 5 through injury.
- Bowman started 9 from a possible 22 games and missed 7 through injury.

Just my perception, maybe. What I would suspect though is that the majority of Ciftci's starts were at the start of his loan period and towards the end Bowman and Main was the preferred pairing. Whether that was down to Ciftci's injury issues or not, I couldn't say. I seem to remember Robinson using James Scott from the bench when Ciftci was available and thinking that Ciftci  clearly hadn't impressed. But again Ciftci may have been coming back from injury at that time...