The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

4 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I don't for a second think Gorrin is here to fill a space on the bench, based on Robinsons description....he will be a starter.

But he's a midfielder, not a central defender.

Just now, Neilwell86 said:

I don't for a second think Gorrin is here to fill a space on the bench, based on Robinsons description....he will be a starter.

Agreed. He's being brought in to remedy shortcomings in central midfield.

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Reports that newly promoted Wigan are in for Cadden. Talk of Wigan offering £500k but we want double that. I can see this happening. 

Love the boy to bits but sadly someone has to go and to get a million for his performances last season is exceptional 

We just get a bot to reply to these stories.

User 1: Reports that X player being chased. Motherwell want £x.

User 2: He's never worth that. We'd be luck to get half.

User 3: With the transfer market nowadays we should be asking for double

User 4: I think player X is a great player but he'd do with another year at Motherwell then go for double the asking price

USer 5: Why do we always talk down our players? Hopefully no scouts are looking at the message board!

User 6: We won't get £X. But talk of £Y is way off the mark..he's worth that in league places and a cup run. More likely to get £Z

User 7: If we played for Celtic he'd be going for £XX

User 247: Player X gone for £x and possibly add ons. Decent business by the club. All the best to him.

• Like 7

I think the positives are that the club are prepared to walk away from initial low / silly bids.  Probably has something to do with the fact that more than half of any transfers goes to pay off former owners. So to even make it worth our while they need to be at a certain level. 

We have a few sellable assets in Cadden, Kipre, Carson and Campbell. We probably are looking to sell at least 2 of the 4 this transfer window. The sooner we pay of Hutchison the better for all, but we do need a realistic figure for each player. What those are will vary greatly in terms of views on this forum. Truth is if any of them played for Celtic or were in their squad you could literally add another zero on the end. Armstrong is a good player but £7m. Is he £6.5m a better player than Cadden ? 

I think a reasonable price for Cadden is £800 + add ons. Carson - probably same again. Kipre and Campbell are younger and have greater potential so I would like to see both of them at Fir Park next season, not least because Kipre is literally a cult hero and nothing less than £1m + should be entertained. He is raw and relatively inexperienced but has the attributes to go far in the game. Who knows whether he will but again if he was at a more “fashionable” club or in championship the figures quoted would be well in excess of what Hull were reportedly willing to offer. Hopefully Hulls interest may spark more interest from other clubs. 

41 minutes ago, The African said:

A full internationalist going for less than seven figures? For shame!

Pretty much my view.  I'd perhaps accept £900k + add ons.  Am I right in thinking that the club calculated his development fee value at £600k? Other clubs and their fans talk up their players so why shouldn't we?  If we don't get a decent offer, we should hold onto him and collect £600k next year.  As the African says lets not forget he's a full international now and if he's as "mediocre" (or however you want to phrase it) as some of our fans seem to think  why are bigger clubs interested in him?   

I never get the 'if he played for Celtic we'd get more' thing... fact is if he played for Celtic he'd be on the bench or be loaned out because there's no way he'd play ahead of Forrest, Roberts or Sinclair.It's like a Burnley fan saying if he played for Man City they would have offered more.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Pretty much my view.  I'd perhaps accept £900k + add ons.  Am I right in thinking that the club calculated his development fee value at £600k? Other clubs and their fans talk up their players so why shouldn't we?  If we don't get a decent offer, we should hold onto him and collect £600k next year.  As the African says lets not forget he's a full international now and if he's as "mediocre" (or however you want to phrase it) as some of our fans seem to think  why are bigger clubs interested in him?   

If football scouts are reading this, I'm worth £100k and £12k a week. I'm not a full internationalist but this is a strong endorsement of my abilities. Sort it out Burrows.

We should be adding at least 20% onto whatever we predict his development fee to be, otherwise there really is little point in selling him now when we will get the development fee next summer. Surely that shouldn't be too complicated to explain to interested clubs, and they either put up, or wait a year and pay the development fee compo. 

58 minutes ago, maxywell said:

I never get the 'if he played for Celtic we'd get more' thing... fact is if he played for Celtic he'd be on the bench or be loaned out because there's no way he'd play ahead of Forrest, Roberts or Sinclair.It's like a Burnley fan saying if he played for Man City they would have offered more.

No trying to be sarcastic and these are my own views + it is hardly earth shattering, but the higher up the food chain (of which Celtic undoubtedly are) the higher the fee clubs seem to get for players that are not demonstrably x times better than our players. 

Another example is Carson.  Celtic reportedly offer circa £350k for him in January.  Lets say for the sake of argument he went to Celtic.  What are the chances if someone bid for him now whilst he was at Celtic they would accept or even be offered £350k.  Multiply that by at least 3. 

My gripe is we tend to get quite a lot of derisory offers for our players and teams such as Celtic do not - in fact I would say they get more than players are probably worth such as Armstrong at £7m.  A better player than Cadden - no doubt but 14 times better  based on rumours of £500k bids from either Wigan or Millwall.  

It is what it is - but it does p1ss me off. You may have noticed :-)

1 minute ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

A better player than Cadden - no doubt but 14 times better  based on rumours of £500k bids from either Wigan or Millwall.  

There is no remotely sensible way you can decide how many times better one player is than another, so I'm pretty sure nobody's using that to calculate transfer fees.

The players wages are usually factored into the transfer fee (or compensation). So if a player is earning 5-10 times as much at another club, his fee will be higher. There is also the fact that bigger clubs can afford to hold out for larger fees because they are 1) less desperate for money, and 2) the player is less likely to be unsettled. Then there’s the added exposure of playing for a bigger team, so more chance of competition to sign the player.

I think we’ll get a decent amount for Cadden, but as per usual, it won’t be as much as we expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Clubs aren’t goIng to pay x amount just because caddens an internationist, that parts pure fantasy. Any interested party will pay what they thinks value for money based on their extensive scouting of the player

Of course not but its a definite factor; one of several though.  At the very least it demonstrates to potential buyers that Scotland's international management rates the player.  Not every decent player wins an international cap so that does say something. 

I think Cadden has been brilliant for us however I feel that in terms of his own developement, moving on this summer would be the best. I personally don’t think the right wing back position is best suited to him. Anything upwards of around 800k for me would be good business. 

It is good to see the club stand firm with offers for players recently and holding out for the value we have for them. That’s not always been the case in years gone by. 

• Like 1

The club are playing a blinder with transfer strategy over the past couple of years. The 'closer to a millon' figure in the press isn't an accident.

It wasn't too long ago that most other clubs knew we would fold at 100/200k. Through out recent sales of Moult, Heneghan and Johnson for good sums and then using our press contacts very wisely, more recently, to share our intentions over Carson, Kipre and Cadden it makes other clubs are aware where the bidding starts.  We'll get low ball bids of course but the real starting point has changed.

• Like 1

The transfer value of Armstrong isn't a great comparison as I think he's a much better player than Cadden. However the press reporting clubs are prepared to pay £3m for Windass shows that bigger clubs are somehow able to demand larger fees than perhaps the player deserves as that is the market they are seen to be operating in. 

As for the £600k development fee, clubs will still only pay that if they think he's worth it. 

This popped up on my FB the other day. We are the man with eggs;

The old man is an egg seller,  selling eggs to make ends meet.  A lady approached him after not been able to sell not even single egg for the day.

She asked him, ‘How much are you selling the eggs for?’
The old seller replied, ‘£1 per 10 egg,
Madam.’ She said to him, ‘I will take 15 eggs for £1 or I will leave.

The old seller replied, ‘Come take them at the price you want. May be, this is a good beginning because I have not been able to sell even a single egg today.’

She took the eggs and walked away feeling she has won. She got into her fancy car and went to a posh restaurant with her friend. There, she and her friend, ordered whatever they liked. They ate a little and left a lot of what they ordered.

Then she went to pay the bill. The bill costed her £140. She gave £150 and asked the owner of the restaurant to keep the change. This incident might have seemed quite normal to the owner but, very painful to the poor egg seller.

• Like 1