The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

11 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Another day, another Facebook egg story.

Those eggs will go off unless they're sold, so best to take whatever derisory offer is available.

Unless... they hatch into chickens. Then they could sell for £10 each!

But what if one of them is a dinosaur egg? WHAT IF IT'S A DINOSAUR EGG?

Ooh, I don't like this game any more.

There might be a very slight ripple effect from the English Premier League deadline being on the 9th August.  If they have finalised their squads by then, it might mean the rest of the English leagues will be able to make some of their loan/permanent moves a  touch earlier and in turn ourselves.  Might not though...

4 minutes ago, The African said:

Would hope we might still have a player coming in. I worry that the current squad might be short on goals.

Exactly what Robinson said - we were short a striker. 

I heard Tony Watt on the radio this afternoon suggesting that he hopes to be signing for a club this week. Was he not mentioned earlier in this thread? Could Robinson and Lasley be the ones to get the best from him?

Tony Watt might be a decent shout. He has talent and he has something to prove. I am surprised that Aberdeen are not that keen and would think that he would be on the radar of clubs with deeper pockets than ourselves.

He should have the sense to realise that Motherwell is the sort of club where he can rebuild his career. After that, it comes down to whether a deal can be done that is amenable to both parties.

Watt would come with similar pros and cons to Ciftci. I’d be more than happy to see us invest in such quality. Having said that he doesn’t quite meet the description of a forward that Robinson is seemingly pursuing. 

Either way, I hope the striker we bring in has a bit of proven quality as we have no idea whether Danny Johnson will be able to make the step-up. If we were genuinely in for Ciftci and O’Halloran earlier this summer, there should be some room in the budget for a striker of decent calibre.

• Thanks 1

Having often watched Tony Watt at Charlton, I would be concerned if we signed him. He was overweight throughout his time there and it’s fair to say that his work rate consistently fell well short of the required standard.

Charlton fans are very much like Motherwell ones, they live in the shadow of giants and will forgive a lack of talent for sheer endeavour. Watt had the talent. However, he frustrated them immensely as he seemed to be able to turn it on or off and through lack of endeavour, he was mostly off.

This, compounded by the rumours that he was a right big time Charlie in and around the dressing room making it no secret that he thought he was above playing in League 1, made it easy for them to say goodbye.

He is capable of playing at Championship level but his record says otherwise. If he came to us, we’d be taking a punt and it’d be last chance saloon for him. 

The management would have to make sure that he knew the score with regard to attitude and fitness. I am all for giving a guy a second chance, but don’t want to have signings take the piss. He is still young, has talent, but must realise that, if he is going to resurrect his career, he really doesn’t want to be doing it at a level much below what is on offer at Fir Park. It would undoubtedly be a gamble, but most signings are.