The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

3 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

It's called evolution. Was always unlikely at ours.

Took Tommy McLean about 6 years to move from being a bunch of (mostly useless) defensive cloggers to a "silky" team. Have no idea if Robinson would be even capable of that, but wasn't expecting to see it appear this season.

Yes! A boo boy for folk! 

Scored 10 goals last season. So if we can get things to click could be a useful addition. 

More than willing to give him a chance...hopefully others will too.

It's also a loan so it's not a long term risk nor I'd imagine a hugely pricey one.

• Like 2

As I said, I'm not overly enthusiastic about him. However, just about every goal I see Sammon scoring on youtube involves him being played in from a pass on the deck. If the the idea is to play hoofball and use him has a target man, then I doubt it will work.

• Like 1

Bit of an anti-climax on the striker front really. Sammon is pretty similar to Bowman and Main. Not seen enough of Johnson to comment on his playing style but seems really samey.

I understand that we are going to continue with this playing style and that's fine, it is what it is. Personally I was hoping we might look for someone with a bit of finesse up front this year though to compliment what we already have. Only really seen Sammon a couple of times last year what I noticed is he is very strong and quick. I was surprised to see him on the flank a lot for Partick, always thought he was a target man but that doesn't seem to be his forte. From what I've seen recently his finishing doesn't look to be great.

I'm really hopeful Johnson is the man to step up this year as without him chipping in with a lot I think we still might be missing an out and out goalscorer up front. Main did chip in a lot last year and I love the guy so far but I am not sure he is going to be a 20+ goal a season man. Bowman and Sammon will run about but will likely struggle to get many goals between them.

Perhaps Sammon is a bit of a bench option. I suspect Johnson/Bowman will be ahead of him in the pecking order.

3 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

As much as I am not a fan of Sammon (my Hearts supporting friend suggested he was the worst ever Hearts signing) I will certainly give him the chance to hopefully get his early Killie days form back and SR has always stated that he wants players that he can make better, so hopefully the Irish connection might work on Connor......if this is true we are signing him.

He must be bad if he's even worse than John Sutton , who I was told, was Hearts' worst signing ever.  This site is almost as negative as our Pie & Bovril thread and thats saying something.  Give the guy a chance.  If he wears C&A then he has my support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

Well it's official about Sammon, but when you read about his goals per minutes of football at Partick Thistle he is not as bad as everyone thinks so maybe ia decent team he might do ok, as I said in a previous posting I will certainly back him as long as he is a Well shirt.

Had almost exactly the same record as Bowman last term in the league

Bowman 23+9 (7)

Sammon 21+10 (7)

However 3 of Sammon's goals came from the penalty spot.  On the other hand Bowman has never been capped by Giovanni Trapattoni.

• Like 1

I thought James Scott’s brief appearances were the most encouraging part of the pre season games. I know he is still young but he looked strong and smart enough. I was looking forward to him getting a few run outs this season, probably off the bench for 20 minutes or so. Ah well, there’s always next pre season. 

I wish Sammon no I’ll will and hope he contributes. But hardly a signing to get the juices flowing.

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

If it's Bowman out Sammon in that's like for like.

If our four strikers are Main, Johnston, Bowman and Sammon don't expect much entertainment this season.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly. If he’s a replacement for Bowman, I’d view that as an upgrade.

If Conor is the final piece of the jigsaw however, then deary fucking me. I expected us to build on the foundations of last season by introducing a bit of craft to our play but the signings to date have been underwhelming. 

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'm not pretending I'd be a huge fan of signing Sammon, but to put him on a par with Bowman is ridiculous. Sammon has English Premier League, Championship and International experience.  We're the highest level Bowman has ever reached.

Having seen Sammon quite a bit last season he was awful and well below anything Bowman did. Really terrible signing in my view, and I tend to give everyone a chance and be very much a glass half full type of guy. A Thistle mate at work is laughing his head off, he’s incredibly lucky to still be plying his trade in the premiership.

Given what was said when MacLean and Hastie went on loan it certainly seems the case that if there is any intention to introduce youngsters it will most likely be in the second half of the season.  We can but hope that if the likes of Scott and Turnbull do get an opportunity they are able to make a similar impact to Allan Campbell who very quickly became impossible to drop.

My immediate reaction when the story broke about Sammon was to share same bemusement many have spoken of.  I must confess I thought we would be looking for someone offering a bit more variation to what we already have.  That said, Hearts aside, his goalscoring record in Scotland is pretty decent and it's not the worst piece of business in the world to add someone to your options who has a history of scoring goals nudging into double figures and who is able to provide cover and competition.

Couple of things that doesn’t excite me about this signing

1) feel he’s very similar to bowman and even Main to an extent

2) we don’t have ball crossers to play into two big lumps up top, nor do we have a creative midfield which inevitably means we are looking at a hump up the park from the back, hoping to pick off second balls from nod downs or hold ups. 

Hardly fills me with  excitment for the season ahead!

no creative midfielders, no pacy wingers, and getting rid of the one creative midfielder we have doesn’t have me enthused.

However that said maybe bowman is away and we are still bringing in ryan Gauld for the middle of the park, hmmm

Expect this must be a replacement for Bowman. Even checked Robinson’s previous comments about signing a striker with pace that can cover the wings to reassure myself. 

Hopeful Tanner will be an important player for us this year and can fill the creative void in the team towards the end of the season. 

• Like 1