The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

I am unsure where I stand on the signing. It's not an inspiring transfer or something that fills me with excitment.

I have seen a lot of negative reaction to it. Some way over the top but I can see some of the points being made.

It's just really "Meh?" to me.

7 hours ago, steelboy said:

If it's Bowman out Sammon in that's like for like.

If our four strikers are Main, Johnston, Bowman and Sammon don't expect much entertainment this season.

Maybe true but I will bet they will still be more entertaining than your usual negative posts on here

We don't have the personnel to make use of other kinds of strikers, so were stuck with having backups that are like-for-like. I can see how it makes sense strategically.

Ciftci had his best game (and last) game when we stuck some ball players on the park to support him.  That was far too close to creative football to be allowed again B-)

A long old season ahead with even more industrial style football than last year.   Little in the way of pace or an attacking threat from midfield, which to me seems extremely ill judged given our very clear deficiencies.  I fear we'll be very easy to play against this season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Burn_Broomfield said:

A long old season ahead with even more industrial style football than last year.   Little in the way of pace or an attacking threat from midfield, which to me seems extremely ill judged given our very clear deficiencies.  I fear we'll be very easy to play against this season.

You’re making me worried! And I was fairly relaxed all summer to!!!

Well, I watched him fairly often as his time im Sheffield coincided with me being there for Uni, so I went to watch United a lot and I'm not going to lie, it was genuinely embarrasing watching him most of the time.

But....

We all know certain clubs can suit certain players, we've been on both the right and wrong end of that enough times, so it's a fresh start to my opinion of Connor Sammon and I hope the big guy does well.

A less than inspiring piece of business, mainly because he is a pretty much known commodity in terms of the Scottish game. It will be interesting to see how it works out. It certainly went okay with Sutton and Higón, who fell into the same sort of category, though both probably offered a bit more in terms of ability. Will also be interesting to see if this marks the departure of Bowman. All in all, not convinced, but willing to give the big guy a chance and hope that things work out for all concerned.

I'm a bit surprised at us taking Sammon on loan as he seems to be the same kind of player we already have.  Pure speculation on my part but....could he be a replacement for an outgoing striker?  Robbo recently said that we'd made offers for two strikers and were awaiting their responses and its strange that we have just received a seemingly unexpected offer for Ryan Bowman - coincidence? Would we go back to anohter target and tell him "Sorry we no longer want you"?  

To those who bemoan our perceived style of play this season I'd say just remember wee Tommy.  When he first arrived his first few years were characterised by dull and boring sides but who were effective.  Lets just wait and see this year.   

40 minutes ago, Al B said:

We all know certain clubs can suit certain players, we've been on both the right and wrong end of that enough times, so it's a fresh start to my opinion of Connor Sammon and I hope the big guy does well.

Very true.

When I saw Johnson's "can't miss from 2 feet" goal in his first game, I wondered what kind of player Fisher might have been for us if he'd scored from the same kind of chance in his first game. In the end, the pressure of not getting that goal pretty much finished his short Motherwell career.

Any comparison with what Tommy McLean achieved at Fir Park needs to be tempered by the realisation that the change in contract law since then makes building a squad much more difficult. If a player is successful with us, he will move on, sooner rather than later.

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

To those who bemoan our perceived style of play this season I'd say just remember wee Tommy.  When he first arrived his first few years were characterised by dull and boring sides but who were effective.  Lets just wait and see this year.   

I mentioned Tommy earlier in the thread, and that's exactly right. It took 6 years or so for him to build from "park the bus" to "win the cup". Mind you, I don't know how we find a Bobby Russell / Davie Cooper kind of player these days to move us forward.

Just now, The African said:

Any comparison with what Tommy McLean achieved at Fir Park needs to be tempered by the realisation that the change in contract law since then makes building a squad much more difficult. If a player is successful with us, he will move on, sooner rather than later.

That's true - but for the first few years, "successful" isn't a term that could be associated with most of our players. 

4 minutes ago, weeyin said:

That's true - but for the first few years, "successful" isn't a term that could be associated with most of our players. 

Indeed. He started out building from the back and going for physical size over ability. It wasn’t pretty and we took a fair few humpings. A six one league cup defeat at Easter Road, after taking the lead, and four consecutive four nil deafeats ( matches I attended, not back to back) at home to Celtic and Aberdeen, away to Hearts and Dundee Utd, were lowlights for me in the early McLean years. It was obvious though, that he was building and the side was improving, year on year.

I think i'm also missing the creative midfielder we have got of, we still have tanner to return and Bigirimana who likes to get the ball down and play, we also have David Turnbull who can do the same, cadden as well i'm sure many see him as more as someone to sit behind strikers and feed passes. with regards to recruits that's exactly why the Spanish boy was signed, to dictate play from slightly deeper. Allan Campbell also played more advanced with Scotland during the summer which is an option if we require it. So the lack of creativity chat is a load of nonsense, our system doesn't allow us to play with wingers however when we have to change up and go more attacking we have the option of using Cadden and Frear in the wide roles. so long story short, we have creativity but it's about how we use it. With regards to the signing of Connor Sammon, it's a bit meh however it seems as though some folk would have preferred some unknown from the lower leagues in england, at the very least we have someone who knows the league and has to an extent been there done that in Scotland which can't be a bad thing, If it was a flare player you were after, Nadir Ciftci was your man but for most he was to hit and miss, which is unfortunately part and parcel of having these type of players at our level, ainsworth for example. The club couldn't win on this occasion.

• Like 2