The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Get the big fella on th pitch against Edinburgh for a second half hat-trick, instant hero, what were we all worrying about?

That the rest of his season goes the way of David Ferrère's too...?

23 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

Like everyone else it seems, I was a bit surprised by the Sammon signing... but I’d rather have him coming on with 15 minutes to go if we’re looking for a goal, rather than (say) Petravicius. Thinking about it like that has made me a lot more positive. 

Petravicius should have been nowhere near our club. The fact he was continually given game time doesn't mean we should lower our expectations and accept journeymen who failed at our rivals.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Petravicius should have been nowhere near our club. The fact he was continually given game time doesn't mean we should lower our expectations and accept journeymen who failed at our rivals.

Fair point well made.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

I'm more amazed that Falkirk have since signed Petravicius and gave him a 2 year deal as well,  how he continues to make a living as a footballer gives me hope I could dust out the boots and look to make a go of things.

FFS give him a chance to at least play in claret & amber before hounding him. I seem to recall similar reaction to the signings of Sutton and Higdon - and they both turned out utter pish, eh?

Main, Bowman and Johnson aren't exactly "slow" so not buying the "he's the exact same type of player". Something different, another bit of competition to keep players on toes and a guy that knows the league and has scored goals in the league. Our style of play was never going to change from last year given the success we had, so he fits our system. He is also on loan, possibly with a break clause in January, so no real risk other than the % we are paying toward his wage. 

An inspiring singing? Definately not. But some of the doom merchants are an absolute red neck! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Del_Superwell said:

I'm more amazed that Falkirk have since signed Petravicius and gave him a 2 year deal as well,  how he continues to make a living as a footballer gives me hope I could dust out the boots and look to make a go of things.

Just because he was mince with us, doesn't mean he can't do better elsewhere.  I'm sure he was a cheap option for Falkirk, so not a big risk for them and he could be their next Bob McHugh.

3 minutes ago, dossertillidie said:

Liam henderson leaving Italy after his club go bankrupt. Would love to see him at fir park

So would I but apparently Fiorentina and Parma want him sodoubt he will be playing at fir park, apparently done amazing since going over there would love to see cadden do the same!

On 7/10/2018 at 6:33 PM, Goggles & Flippers said:

With respect to the summer business. I know we still are 6-7 weeks away from the door closing but it's been a tad underwhelming for me so far. Maybe the players we have brought in will be revelations or the youth players promoted have something about them. I also appreciate Robinson has form of sourcing and bringing in unknowns and by an large more success' that disappointments. I appreciate signings may be dependant on some of our team leaving for pastures new and until that happens, then interest has cooled.

The signing of Sammon endorses my apathy. However I hope I'm wrong and he's a revelation. Just see it as a tad lazy and lack of ambition going for him. I'm glad Frear is putting 2017/18 behind him and Tanner can't get back quick enough. Too many strikers of a similar mould unless there's confidence in movement out.

With the raising of the profile of the club after the two cup finals last season, I’d really been hoping the ‘last’ summer signing would have been something of a marquee Signing. Whilst I’m sure the others we’ve brought in will fit well into the,at times, less than entertaining style that Robinson deploys, Sammon does nothing to inspire current support or others to put a few more bums on seats. It could’ve been such a coup for the club to bring in a ‘name’. In no way am I advocating breaking the bank and there are certainly other ways around this (tail end of career, loan etc.) however someone people recognize and would genuinely be excited about coming to see may have built on much of the good feeling around the club from last season and actually brought people to Fir Park. Instead, im fearful that another hoof ball season without two cup finals or players that a support are inspired to watch could be quite detrimental and quickly undo much of the good work of last season...

• Like 1

I thought Sammon did ok when he came on last night although you can't come to any definitive conclusion on such a short appearance.  Very early days but he looks to have a bit more than Bowman in his locker.  We need to give him a chance.

Rumour last night that Carson is on his way as we've accepted a bid - time will tell.

• Like 1

Im sure the expectation is Carson will be gone either this window or the next. It feels like we have a good replacement, though.

And given the money that Liverpool are offering for their goalkeeping target, that can only help inflate the goalie market!

I very much doubt anyone else will be signed unless someone leaves and even then it may depend on who that is. 

I see Liverpool paying a miserly £67m for yon Brazilian goalie. World has gone mad. We will probably be lucky to get £750k for Carson assuming anyone bids despite the fact he is in his prime and an International goalkeeper. 

Maybe we are blinkered as Well fans, but I am fairly certain Carson could do a job in the Chamionship and would hardly embarrass himself even  in the Premiership.