The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

5 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

You do realise that all clubs of our size (St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, St Mirren) and some clubs bigger than us all do the same thing? Sell their best players to keep the club running and bring in someone that they hope can develop to replace the player they sold or bring in someone that maybe needs a fresh start somewhere? Moult wasn't proven at any real level. Likewise Heneghan, Marvin Johnson or any number of players who have come in and done a job...

You do realise that none of the clubs you mention have achieved anything substantially other than what we have in the past years? Broaden your horizons and ambition man, deary me... :wallbash:

15 minutes ago, Kmac said:

I'm not suggesting for 1 second we pay silly money for players. What I want is for us to be in a position whereby we can reasonably expect to compete each season in the league and improve as a side. If our model is to continually  sell our top players and replace with a standard  not anywhere near close to that of the player which just left us, all we are doing is going back to square one each time, whilst others around us build on successes and grow squads capable of competing regularly with the top sides in our league. 

But how many  clubs outside the big guns have actually done that season after season, St Johnstone ?

1 minute ago, real dosser said:

Who are the other teams around us who build on their successes to compete in the league ?? The only team with any success in the past 3-4 years are Celtic so do you want us to pay 8 million for players like they have just done.

Case and point, Hibs. 

They got to the final, won the cup, built on the success and took momentum into a league campaign, spiralling again into a European campaign and an ever improving squad. 

I know if big money offers come in we are always going to cash in and that players, if ambitious will move on.  However selling one of our better players before our first league game really is shite.  It doesn't give the manager much chance.  Makes you wonder why guys like Robinson stay in Scottish football but then I suppose its a job.

1 minute ago, Kmac said:

Case and point, Hibs. 

They got to the final, won the cup, built on the success and took momentum into a league campaign, spiralling again into a European campaign and an ever improving squad. 

And have a fan base about 3 times bigger than ours.

Lets also not forget also spending 3 seasons out of the top league in the last 5.  

Also, I'd question ever improving?  

4 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Case and point, Hibs. 

And in this close season they have done exactly the same as us and let a couple of their better players go and await to see what is going to happen with McGinn with Brighton now showing an interest.

Just now, Wellfan1984 said:

And have a fan base about 3 times bigger than ours.

Lets also not forget also spending 3 seasons out of the top league in the last 5.  

Also, I'd question ever improving?  

It has nothing to do with fan base, everything is relative - I have never suggested spending the same as they do, I'm using it as a model, not a literal example. 

Your second point isn't really relevant and the ever improving cannot be ignored, they have re-invested in the playing squad and brought themselves to a solid level to compete both domestically and European. 

16 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Case and point, Hibs. 

Hibs have at least 3 times more the number of season ticket holders than us. They aren’t fan owned and have a wage structure that is far greater than ours. The 2 aren’t comparable you blethering idiot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kmac said:

It has nothing to do with fan base, everything is relative - I have never suggested spending the same as they do, I'm using it as a model, not a literal example. 

Your second point isn't really relevant and the ever improving cannot be ignored, they have re-invested in the playing squad and brought themselves to a solid level to compete both domestically and European. 

:huh:

This was always due to happen, it’s the injury to Dunne that is a real blow. 

A back three of Dunne, Hartley and McHugh is decent with Donnelly and Maguire as back up. 

Hopefully similar bids will come in for Cadden and Carson as well and if we’re able to bring in replacements they’re straight into the team signings. 

17 minutes ago, Kmac said:

oooh ! yer gettin worked up

5 minutes ago, gee said:

This was always due to happen, it’s the injury to Dunne that is a real blow. 

A back three of Dunne, Hartley and McHugh is decent with Donnelly and Maguire as back up. 

Hopefully similar bids will come in for Cadden and Carson as well and if we’re able to bring in replacements they’re straight into the team signings. 

To be fair Robinson has made it very plain he’s bringing in a replacement, just a case of how quickly that happens, I would still not rule out a return for Aldred despite everything that’s been said, stranger things have happened and he would be in a better position to be a starter even with Hartley fit. Yes he’s not as quick as Kipre but not many are.

16 minutes ago, Kmac said:

It sort of has everything to do with the relative  size of the clubs when you talk of Europe and competing regularly with the top sides in the league.

19 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Hibs have at least 3 times more the number of season ticket holders than us. They aren’t fan owned and have a wage structure that is far greater than ours. The 2 aren’t comparable you blethering idiot.

Very unnecessary, buddy. 

1 hour ago, wellowell said:

Now confirmed by club undisclosed fee don’t like them makes you think he’s been sold cheaper than you think 

Apologies Wellowell if I seem a tad impatient.  We've been over this issue time and time again ad nauseum.  Its quite normal these days for transfer fees to be classed as undisclosed.  Usually, but not always, its at the request of the buying club.  There can be a number of reasons for it including not publicising to rivals how much cash you have to spare.  Deals, these days, are far more complex than they used to be and can be hard to quantify.  

On a separate note we do need to replace Cedric's physicality and pace.   I'm sure the club has already plans afoot as they would have been expecting this bit of business months ago.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, real dosser said:

Who are the other teams around us who build on their successes to compete in the league ?? The only team with any success in the past 3-4 years are Celtic so do you want us to pay 8 million for players like they have just done.

We did it under McCall. Kept the side that reached the cup final, added a couple of players for the first 11 and the result was three years at the top of the table.

The Euro places are probably beyond us now the city clubs have repaired their finances but there are still positive targets to aim for beyond a 38 game relegation battle.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, El Grew said:

I know if big money offers come in we are always going to cash in and that players, if ambitious will move on.  However selling one of our better players before our first league game really is shite.  It doesn't give the manager much chance.  Makes you wonder why guys like Robinson stay in Scottish football but then I suppose its a job.

The current business model is that we give decent players a platform to prove themselves, and, if they do, they potentially move on.

A total unknown arrives at the club a year ago, the less favoured of two, and plays his first ever 49 competitive games in a season where his provincial club reaches two Cup Finals for their first time in their existence. 

In my opinion, if you think we have any 'sense of entitlement', I suggest you find an alternative club.

Regarding Robinson: has, in my view, articulated himself impeccably since his arrival, unlike, say, Daddy Cathro (*), whom never passed Media Training 101. And, where is this Muppet now?

(*) Braidhurst in joke; apologies.

Whilst Cadden, Campbell, Carson, etc, won't terminate their careers at Motherwell, neither will Robinson. 

The good news is that with t'internet roasters around..... not naming any names.....there is No Danger that I'll be around to state: ,' told you so.....'

13 minutes ago, Kmac said:

The levels of hypocrisy on this forum never cease to amaze...

13 minutes ago, Kmac said:

The levels of hypocrisy on this forum never cease to amaze...

Sorry,  just think you are way off the mark on this one.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

I saw an interview with Burrows where he said the aim was to avoid relegation. If we can't try and push on after two cup finals with most of the squad under contract when will we?

Going by what he said in the paper we might as well change our name to Motherwell Accies.

If the club were to come out with big bold public  statements about what they were going to do and then it didn't happen there would be folk queuing up to slaughter them. Okay for some that wouldn't be much different to what they do  when things were going well but better to keep your targets in house and give the safe answer when asked in public. I'd wager in many cases they aren't the same but both Burrows and Robinson are quite correct, no matter how dull it might appear, first and foremost our primary aim should be to ensure a place in the top flight for the following season.