The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

Can't say I know anything about Ross Callachan. But then I tend to not really focus on or remember individuals in other teams unless they really stand out.

But, either way, it would seem a tad odd to want to add to the central midfielder pot unless there is something else in the offing. Robinson has said there are a lot of bodies in that position as it stands (YouTube video after a league cup game).

So, perhaps moves behind the scenes are advanced for a player or two out in that area. Or, indeed, maybe we are just doing our due dilligence in case we do lose someone and have to move quickly. I'm going to go for the latter with The Sun jumping on it.

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If we are signing Callachan it probably means McHugh playing at centre back.

If we sign Callachan, I would suggest it means that McHugh is playing at centre back and someone is leaving. Even with McHugh at centre back, it leaves us with Campbell, Rodriguez, Rose, Grimshaw, Cadden, Turnbull and Bigirimana. With Tanner returning some time in September, this would seem excessive...

I'm also a bit baffled by Callaghan rumour. Not only is it another midfielder in, but its taking a relatively young Scottish player (24 I believe) off another SPFL team who will jump above our own young players in the pecking order - particularly Turnbull. If he was a free transfer then there is maybe some justification in there, but suspect it will likely be either a transfer fee which is, in my opinion, a waste of resource or even worse a loan move which would be absolutely pointless. 

Can't claim to know loads about Callaghan, he has never stood out in the games for Hearts I have seen. From looking at his stats he has played a lot of games for his age, mostly at Raith Rovers, but his goal return would suggest he is much more of another defensive minded player than attacking - and we have enough of them. Would actually be really disappointed to see us take on a player like this and let Bigi go. 

Only seen Callachan in brief spells with Hearts but from what I seen he scored some decent goals. I was actually surprised when I seen last week that specky was letting him go.

With that being said we don't need another midfielder, especially with Bigi now staying. We need to focus on a solid defender and getting another attacking option.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is simply paper talk and Hearts trying to stir up interest to whore him out somewhere.

21 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

Only seen Callachan in brief spells with Hearts but from what I seen he scored some decent goals. I was actually surprised when I seen last week that specky was letting him go.

With that being said we don't need another midfielder, especially with Bigi now staying. We need to focus on a solid defender and getting another attacking option.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is simply paper talk and Hearts trying to stir up interest to whore him out somewhere.

That a guarantee now is it?

It is quite a random story that like Connor Sammon I believe in the no smoke without fire theory.  There must be something in it.  It may be if does not get off the ground as he may get a more lucrative offer elsewhere or we are not prepared to pay a fee in line with what Hearts may be expecting.

Either way if it does happen then I can see one or more of Rose, Grimshaw / Bigi moving on as we would be overloaded in midfield without a doubt.

As for whether I think it would be a good move.  I trust in Robinsons judgement.  If he feels it will improve the team I am all for it. Campbell and Callachan in midfiled would be a strong if not particularly creative central midfield. 

41 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

We won't sign Callaghan cos Hearts want a fee for him. Hopefully we do get a midfielder in and punt Rose and Grimshaw. Some changes required with a central defender brought in as well.

Robinson spent half a season chasing Rose to sign a new contract. No way he's punting him - hes' one of his favourite players.

Asked the Jambos on P&B what they thought of Ross Callachan.  Here is one response:

Do you like those boys that work hard as f**k and run about a lot? Well, he’s just the man for you! Effort and commitment never in question.
Tbh, as he’s only 24 I’d rather keep him for now and see if he can develop into a decent squad player if nothing else. If he is to go I won’t be crying myself to sleep.

Read that 1st sentence again ! 

39 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I took it as an advert that Bigirimana was looking to go back to England...

If that's the case I'm  assuming a deal has fallen through otherwise he should have been shouting that from the rooftops before now..certainly earlier than week before English clubs transfer window for buying shuts.