The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

2 hours ago, Clackscat said:

So everyone is believing a story in the Sun now!!! It was the same when we were 'linked' with Callachan of Hearts folks criticising Robbo wgen it was a non story. So quick to have a go

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Literally two people responded with any hint of potentially believing it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Clackscat said:

So everyone is believing a story in the Sun now!!! It was the same when we were 'linked' with Callachan of Hearts folks criticising Robbo wgen it was a non story. So quick to have a go

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

How does my saying that it would be strange if we signed another centre half equate to my believing the story? Almost says the opposite....

1 hour ago, Burn_Broomfield said:

I'd be surprised if Robbo is looking at anything other than a left sided defender/left back/left wing back and an attacking midfielder, if he's even looking.  The squad is pretty packed out in every position (regardless of thoughts on the quality of the quantity)

one criticism of our defence is lack of pace so if we can get a good defender with pace then I wouldn’t be to upset. 

Personally I’m disapointed at the perceived lack of first team opportunities our younger players will be getting prime example turnbull, maguire etc

when I think back to when pearo,Faddy etc broke through although we toiled in the league I had huge satisfaction at seeing “our own” play for the first team and the club no doubt were satisfied when we sold them

project brave demands a huge level of investment so the academy needs to bear fruit to become sustainable through the SFAs demands. This fruit will be measured by how many players break through and ultimately be funded by ones we sell on.

As a club we have to be realistic of our short term goals and not be “scared” to play a mix of young players who are more than capable of doing a job. Are the likes of sammon/grimmy/ and the new lad at the back far superior to scott/turnbull/maguire?

we have invested in the academy and have a fantastic 20s manager in craggs, we have to give them the opportunity to play or it makes Hammell/Clarkson’s/micks job harder in attracting players into the club at a young age if they think they will get better opportunities across the road.

The first Team and the way it’s set up has massive ramifications for the future of our club Long term

So bring in your non league with a view to selling but please give our youth a chance over players we know will be hard to shift at a profit such as the ones mentioned 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dossertillidie said:

Personally I’m disapointed at the perceived lack of first team opportunities our younger players will be getting prime example turnbull, maguire etc

when I think back to when pearo,Faddy etc broke through although we toiled in the league I had huge satisfaction at seeing “our own” play for the first team and the club no doubt were satisfied when we sold them

project brave demands a huge level of investment so the academy needs to bear fruit to become sustainable through the SFAs demands. This fruit will be measured by how many players break through and ultimately be funded by ones we sell on.

As a club we have to be realistic of our short term goals and not be “scared” to play a mix of young players who are more than capable of doing a job. Are the likes of sammon/grimmy/ and the new lad at the back far superior to scott/turnbull/maguire?

we have invested in the academy and have a fantastic 20s manager in craggs, we have to give them the opportunity to play or it makes Hammell/Clarkson’s/micks job harder in attracting players into the club at a young age if they think they will get better opportunities across the road.

The first Team and the way it’s set up has massive ramifications for the future of our club Long term

So bring in your non league with a view to selling but please give our youth a chance over players we know will be hard to shift at a profit such as the ones mentioned 

Would that be the same season when we were relegated despite having having sellable young assets in the team?

Honestly, other than Lawless, who was the last youth player to be released by Motherwell and managed to carve a sufficiently good career that proved the club wrong?

I don’t disagree with your point about the necessity of making the academy a success. You’re correct about Craggs and co, you’re correct about attracting new talent.

What you, I nor anyone else outside the footballing side of the clubs employ cannot  be correct in saying is that the management team are blocking the progress of our current youth.

We fans honestly don’t know how good  or ready the lads you mention are. Maybe an alternative theory (which is all we have without the facts) is that the loans and one year contracts are there as place holders for the lads coming through?

That would forward thinking. Given the variables (because footballers are not objects), it can’t be articulated in a business plan so I guess we have to have faith and see what happens.

17 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

Would that be the same season when we were relegated despite having having sellable young assets in the team?

Honestly, other than Lawless, who was the last youth player to be released by Motherwell and managed to carve a sufficiently good career that proved the club wrong?

I don’t disagree with your point about the necessity of making the academy a success. You’re correct about Craggs and co, you’re correct about attracting new talent.

What you, I nor anyone else outside the footballing side of the clubs employ cannot  be correct in saying is that the management team are blocking the progress of our current youth.

We fans honestly don’t know how good  or ready the lads you mention are. Maybe an alternative theory (which is all we have without the facts) is that the loans and one year contracts are there as place holders for the lads coming through?

That would forward thinking. Given the variables (because footballers are not objects), it can’t be articulated in a business plan so I guess we have to have faith and see what happens.

I take your point in regards to place holders which if true would show we have a strategic plan in place which would be great however

we have 8 defenders possibly 9 if I include someone like grimmy who can play at the back and are allegedly looking at another centre half . Why does maguire or any other youth defender not become our 9th choice?

At which stage do our youth become a back up to the first team? There is similar numbers in midfield and a forward line of 5 to pick from before scott comes into contention.

thats effectively the barrier in itself 

42 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

I get what you say, but if the youth were truly knocking at the door, there would not have been the necessity to source players from elsewhere.

Absolutely. We have experienced pros like Robbo and Keith Lasley in charge of the playing side and other very experienced pros like Stevie Hammell, Steven Craigan, Stephen MacManus and Davie Clarkson running our youth set up.  Surely to goodness, they must know all our players, including the young ones, inside out? If its their considered opinions that the youngsters aren't quite ready to step up then who are we to argue.  Steven Craigan said a wee while ago that loaning out young lads to lower division teams wasn't as much about developing their talent and technical skills but rather it was about putting them under pressure and testing them out in a competitive situation in front of bigger crowds.  Very rarely do youngsters that we release go onto bigger and better things. 

Yes, we all like to see home grown talent make the first team but we have to trust those in charge. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daver said:

I'd still like to see us have someone in the team with the sort of pace that has the opposition nervous. Not sure where they would fit intothe team though. 

Defensive wing back, obviously.