The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

9 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Hindsight is a great thing but I'd have bitten your hand off to have Kenny Miller over Connor Sammon going into September.

No thanks. I'd be just as non-plussed about him as Sammon - and cringing more at his auld dear's tweets. 

3 minutes ago, weeyin said:

No thanks. I'd be just as non-plussed about him as Sammon - and cringing more at his auld dear's tweets. 

Agree to disagree then, he offers a change from the built like the side of a house, back to goal, ball to feet strikers we have in abundance. To stick with more of the same opposed to a foil shows a certain degree of blinkeredness

4 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Agree to disagree then, he offers a change from the built like the side of a house, back to goal, ball to feet strikers we have in abundance. To stick with more of the same opposed to a foil shows a certain degree of blinkeredness

We could have a different option that isn't Miller, though. Both him and Sammon show little imagination as signings.

I'd rather have had Ciftci back than sign Miller - like Bigi, he offers a different dimension to the game.

Miller is a risk because he's at that age where you can lose your edge very quickly.  His scoring record last season was poor (5 in twenty something) and I'd need convincing that is a blip rather than the end of  Premiership career.

Like I said though, I'd rather we took a punt on another Johnson type than a Miller or a Sammon. 

Falling out with 3 different Rangers managers during his last stint at Ibrox, then throwing his toys out the pram because Livi wanted him to fulfill the role he signed up for, might be reason enough to avoid him anyway. (Although he did manage to make 23 appearances last season for a team that finished above us).

I don't think there will be any humble pie involved, though. I didn't say he was useless, just that signing a guy that will be 40 at the end of a 2 year contract is a risk. I don't remember many 40 year old strikers playing in the Premiership. 

I think Johnson was a better signing for us, though, and I'd have been happier if we had stuck to that approach to fill the Sammon spot.

Sammon bashing is quite a thing on here.  He was signed in my opinion as a back up option and one where Hearts are paying the majority of his wages.  He is no world beater for sure but he has hardly been woeful such as Petravicius or Blyth. 

As for being similar in stature to Main and Bowman etc. He is not a similar player. He prefers the ball to his feet. Probably means he is in the wrong team, but the truth is Rangers shat it big time last weekend in the last 15 minutes and Gerrard admitted as much. 

On the face of it Killie and St Johnstone have had better windows, but then St Mirren and possibly Dundee a lot worse. Jury out on Hamilton although again for their shitty level it looks like they have strengthened. 

I still think Johnson will prove to be the diddy signing of the window and he will prove to be as prolific as Moult was for us. 

26 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

As for being similar in stature to Main and Bowman etc. He is not a similar player. He prefers the ball to his feet.

Something in that Iain.  Of our 4 first team strikers I'd say only Bowman is suited to aerial balls.   The others prefer it to their feet or chest height at highest.

29 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

back up option and one where Hearts are paying the majority of his wages.  

Are they?  

Seems to get thrown in regularly by some in an attempt to justify in some way.

would be better if folk just stuck to their argument, so your saying he isn’t a target man, so the same as Johnson and Main then ? 

Guess there must have been another reason he was signed if that’s the case

Tbh I know not the details of his wages but it has been widely reported that we are paying a % of his wages and not all. That would make sense as I doubt we could match what he was on at Hearts even if it is an extra £500-£1000 per week. 

As for why he was signed. He is quite clearly a big unit and we know that our Manager likes that is a player ! That plus he has 9 international caps and scored 10 goals last season for a team that were relegated. All said and done not a huge gamble and will ably fill in when asked to do a job. 

PJ Morrison to Albion Rovers on loan until January.   Ten successive defeats.  A breakdown in relations between their new manager John Brogan and their supporters weeks into his reign.  Everyone's favourites to drop out of the league. That could be a tough gig for PJ!  It also could I suppose be the making of him as he's certainly going to be busy and it will be a test of both of his ability and character.

• 2 weeks later...

Good article outlining Johnson's fitba journey. At 25, he's had his fair share of disappointments along the way by the looks of it. Fair play to him for sticking with it  - he certainly looks more than capable at our level.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/teessider-danny-johnson-dealing-setbacks-15152517

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

NEC got relegated last season so i'm not sure how good a player from their u23s would be if he can't get in the squad in the Eerste Divise.

It might be a better idea to play some players from our own u20 squad than go down a route that could easily be Petravicius Mk II.....

There seems to be this mistaken belief that the reserve team is full of players ready to step into the 1st team at a moment's notice, but if that was the case why are we signing players and spending cash we don't have lots of.

I think the reality is there is nobody in the reserves ready and /or good enough to make the step up to the 1st team, that may change but not now