The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

2 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Don’t think anyone is comparing quality of opposition U20 against that of the 1st team

Couple of years ago I watched a young Alan Campbell in the U20 and thought that he had all the attributes to make an impact in the 1st team which he has done once he was given the chance to do so. Also in that team albeit a year younger was David Turnbull and I have taken an interest in his progression ever since. I think that this boy has the ability and attitude to make it to the highest level in the game way beyond Motherwell 

To my mind he has all the attributes that Campbell brings to the table and a bit more, he can pick a pass and has hit a few screamers from outside the box. This is where I have a problem with Robison … … how do we know if this boy is good enough if he is not given a chance to show what he can do at a higher level. Yes he has been given a couple of outings at the end of last season and to my mind did not look out of place … but we resign Rose, Grimshaw and Gorrin and the boy finds himself way down the pecking order. 

If anyone is going to the Sligo game I suggest you have a good look a this young boy and see what he could bring to the table IMO he is way beyond his years and if only like Campbell he could just be given a chance who knows where it could lead to.

I have watched Turnbull as well, is there a danger he is a wee bit Ross Forbesy?

Converting Maguire into a defensive midfielder isn't a bad idea if he has the attributes to play there. But given the number of centre midfielders we have at the club (I count six, maybe seven), is there any realistic chance of him getting a game there for the first team? Why re-sign both Rose and Grimshaw if the coaching staff feel that's Maguire's best position? 
Regards signing the guy from NEC, I don't see the point. Why sign a winger when Robinson's system has no use for them? Like Frear, he'd be picking up a wage with no real place in the team...
Rose and Grimshaw are on 1 year contracts, which buys us time to bring players like Maguire, Turnbull through without throwing them in every week. I can see them getting phased in as the season progresses Gorrin was brought in cos it looked like Biggi was away.

I agree we are 'well' covered but have no doubt if they are deemed good enough we will see more of them, another season will see an evolvement in that regard (I hope)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

You can’t compare the two, under 20 games against  playing Rangers, Hibs and Hearts first teams is Apples and Oranges. Our first 11 would walk the under 20 league.

I knew this would happen, all the negativity around some praise of a couple of good prospects for MFC, look I go to the under 20's/ reserve games and believe me the transformation in the performance of the younger players is there to be seen, I am not saying that because the reserve side is undefeated that the players have the god given right to play for the first team, but when McGuire and Turnball play they really do stand out, now if that is not a reason or evidence of being ready for first team duties, I am not sure what will be apart from loaning them out.

By the way you never mentioned Hamilton in the comparison !!!

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

I knew this would happen, all the negativity around some praise of a couple of good prospects for MFC, look I go to the under 20's/ reserve games and believe me the transformation in the performance of the younger players is there to be seen, I am not saying that because the reserve side is undefeated that the players have the god given right to play for the first team, but when McGuire and Turnball play they really do stand out, now if that is not a reason or evidence of being ready for first team duties, I am not sure what will be apart from loaning them out.

By the way you never mentioned Hamilton in the comparison !!!

I’m not being negative at all about any player, simply stating play our best 11. I don’t think it’s unfair to question a comparison between the results of the first team and under 20s gven any player is going to perform better against inferior opposition. If we have a player anywhere within the club in a dedicated position that’s better than one already in the first 11 play them. Again though i’m backing the management and coaching staff to have the ability to make an educated decision on that.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m not being negative at all about any player, simply stating play our best 11. I don’t think it’s unfair to question a comparison between the results of the first team and under 20s gven any player is going to perform better against inferior opposition. If we have a player anywhere within the club in a dedicated position that’s better than one already in the first 11 play them. Again though i’m backing the management and coaching staff to have the ability to make an educated decision on that.

I actually agree with your last statement, what I forgot to add was that I know it will not guarantee any of our players that step up will make the grade, but after watching them in the reserves I just feel they need a chance, after all despite all our good performances (Hibs apart) we are still only got 4 points and still got three difficult away games to negotiate in the next week, but I am confident we will not loose them all.

10 hours ago, Clackscat said:

Rose and Grimshaw are on 1 year contracts, which buys us time to bring players like Maguire, Turnbull through without throwing them in every week. I can see them getting phased in as the season progresses Gorrin was brought in cos it looked like Biggi was away.

I agree we are 'well' covered but have no doubt if they are deemed good enough we will see more of them, another season will see an evolvement in that regard (I hope)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Could not believe the numbers ……apparently we have 51 signed players on our books

So how exactly are our youngsters going to get any game time 

As I said in earlier post both Turnbull and Maguire are out of contract at end of the season

If only the manager of this well-performing youth side would entertain making the step up to the first team. That's what's frustrated me over the past few years.

And yeah, I know he enjoys his BT gig and all that jazz, but still, he's looking like someone who could step up and do a job in the senior game.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, David said:

If only the manager of this well-performing youth side would entertain making the step up to the first team. That's what's frustrated me over the past few years.

And yeah, I know he enjoys his BT gig and all that jazz, but still, he's looking like someone who could step up and do a job in the senior game.

He could definitely do the job and I've been a fan of him one day becoming manager but I think his view is he's got much more job security with reserves and doing his stuff BT,  managing at senior level can be quite relentless if you through a bad run.

I can't think of many managers that successfully stepped up from youth team coach to first team gaffer. Two pretty different skill sets.

Plus, when his time is up (as happens for all managers) he'd be punted from the club.

Giving up his BT gig, youth development gig and his agent's job for 3 years in the hot seat feels like a bad career move.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:51 AM, David said:

Our reserve team must be the envy of the football world, full of young players ready for the step up to the 1st team at a moment's notice and now the manager as well, UEFA must be thinking of sending a delegation to see how we do it

• Like 3

On 9/24/2018 at 2:38 PM, weeyin said:

I can't think of many managers that successfully stepped up from youth team coach to first team gaffer. Two pretty different skill sets.

Plus, when his time is up (as happens for all managers) he'd be punted from the club.

Giving up his BT gig, youth development gig and his agent's job for 3 years in the hot seat feels like a bad career move.

Oh absolutely, I can understand why he doesn't make the step up, but as a fan I'd love to see it.

On 9/24/2018 at 6:14 PM, Spiderpig said:

Our reserve team must be the envy of the football world, full of young players ready for the step up to the 1st team at a moment's notice and now the manager as well, UEFA must be thinking of sending a delegation to see how we do it

Don't give up the day job quite yet.

Young players ready to step up to 1st team???  got hee haw chance with Robbo in charge.   Not giving any youngsters a chance and instead of giving them a chance this season he has wasted budget on lots of players who so far don't look like improving the squad but hopefully I will be proved wrong.   So far only Johnson looks like a decent signing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been critical of Pie and Bovril for some time but of late its definitely improved.  This very recent post by Casagolda this morning really caught my eye as its spot on. 

" It’s a worry that we’re now 18 months and 3 transfer windows into Robinson’s tenure and his most trusted 11 still has Tait/Cadden playing out of position at wing back and despite having about a dozen central midfielders, we still can’t find a decent balanced, functioning midfield.  How very true.  

Stephen Robinson is a safety first manager and to that extent is reticent to bring in flair or individuality, a point made by Captain Oats on the same forum. Ok, the midfield is not our only problem by any means but is at the root of many of them. 

The January window is going to be important although we just don't have the cash to undertake a wholesale reshaping of the squad.  We are paying the price though of a poor summer window. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 7:57 AM, superward said:

What's the script with Gorrin? Noted as injured but never any update on it from the manager or website.

I was going to ask a similar thing.

Of all the injured players listed on the club website, he is the only one with no description of the type of injury against his name and no paragraph further down with further information.

Suggests there might be something else going on in the background?

59 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I was going to ask a similar thing.

Of all the injured players listed on the club website, he is the only one with no description of the type of injury against his name and no paragraph further down with further information.

Suggests there might be something else going on in the background?

Aye that's what I thought. Prominent in the pictures from training this week though. So must be on the mend whatever the reason.

2 hours ago, Shaka said:

Gorrin is a weird one. We apparently chased him for months , lost out in Jan, then sign him and he doesnt play? 

I think he's one of the players Robinson was talking about that he brought in but can't play because he picked up injuries in training.