The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

2 hours ago, David said:

Players heading for retirement? Such as 29 year old Giovani Dos Santos, Sebastian Giovinco who's been at Toronto since he was 28, Diego Valeri, Sebastian Blanco, Carlos Vela, Andre Horta etc? All names that could walk into any side bar Celtic perhaps in the SPFL.

You do still get the odd "big name" past his best heading to the league, but the overall level is higher than the stuff we see in the SPFL I think. Maybe not 5 years ago, but definitely now.

Not that such an assessment should be seen as a slight on our league, as the US is a massive place with more money, so it makes sense that they have a product on the up.

Do you think those cherry picked names moved there for the high quality of the league? 

Here's the roster for the team Rose is joining. It's a fairly typical list.

30-man Active Roster (Spots 1-30)
Aja, Jose
Bevan, Myer
Blondell, Anthony
Colyn, Simon
Davies, Alphonso
De Jong, Marcel
Dominguez, Roberto
Emnes, Marvin
Franklin, Sean
Ghazal, Aly
Henry, Doneil
Hurtado, Erik
Juarez, Efrain
Kamara, Kei
Levis, Brett
Marinovic, Stefan
Martins, Felipe
Maund, Aaron
Melvin, Sean
Mezquida, Nicolas
Mutch, Jordon
Nerwinski, Jake
Norman Jr., David
Reyna, Yordy
Richey, Spencer
Rowe, Brian
Shea, Brek
Techera, Cristian
Teibert, Russell
Waston, Kendall

The New York Red Bulls are another typical example. A host of recent college age kids 18, 21, 22 years old etc. a few in their mid 20s and a 33 year old Bradley Wright-Phillips.

Regardless of the make-up of the teams, however, the games just aren't that entertaining. I don't know what the root cause is, but there is something lacking that makes them mostly unwatchable to me.  Zlatan scoring against Real Salt Lake just doesn't cut it.

3 hours ago, David said:

Players heading for retirement? Such as 29 year old Giovani Dos Santos, Sebastian Giovinco who's been at Toronto since he was 28, Diego Valeri, Sebastian Blanco, Carlos Vela, Andre Horta etc? All names that could walk into any side bar Celtic perhaps in the SPFL.

You do still get the odd "big name" past his best heading to the league, but the overall level is higher than the stuff we see in the SPFL I think. Maybe not 5 years ago, but definitely now.

Not that such an assessment should be seen as a slight on our league, as the US is a massive place with more money, so it makes sense that they have a product on the up.

You could rhyme off names all day long but it does not detract from the fact that the standard in the MLS is garbage, yes they have big crowds, lots of cash etc but the teams are filled in the most part with 2nd rate players from established footballing nations and young home grown talent who are probably equally as average if not worse. The USA / Canada does not take football seriously they call it soccer FFS, they paying public don't understand it, if we ever start to see homegrown American/ Canadian players breaking through and becoming a common site in the top European leagues then that may change but until then it's a well paid  poor quality league that makes players like Rose look better than they actually are.

if we ever start to see homegrown American/ Canadian players breaking through and becoming a common site in the top European leagues then that may change but until then it's a well paid  poor quality league that makes players like Rose look better than they actually are. 

There's not many Scottish players in top European leagues either.

I watched highlights from their cup semis and final on Youtube just there. It looked better than anything in the 270+ minutes of LC semis and final I watched.

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

You could rhyme off names all day long but it does not detract from the fact that the standard in the MLS is garbage, yes they have big crowds, lots of cash etc but the teams are filled in the most part with 2nd rate players from established footballing nations and young home grown talent who are probably equally as average if not worse. The USA / Canada does not take football seriously they call it soccer FFS, they paying public don't understand it, if we ever start to see homegrown American/ Canadian players breaking through and becoming a common site in the top European leagues then that may change but until then it's a well paid  poor quality league that makes players like Rose look better than they actually are.

I can easily refute that argument.  I give you...........Clint Dempsey  :nod:

9 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Is Andy Rose not born Australian but brought up in UK and I'm sure we signed him from Coventry City ????????

Not a big fan of watching MLS ........mainly down to shocking commentary/terminology !!!

Soccer is a big participation sport over in Central North America and I'm sure there are currently 10-20 yanks playing at the top level in Europe.....mainly Germany and England and have been for many years

Quality in your opinion may be garbage and I know the USA  national teams World Cup qualification is a lot easier than ours..........but they have done something we have never done got by the group stage

We better watch they don't steal our recruitment model........English lower/non league .........Motherwell or  Minnesota/Montreal... I know where I'd be heading

I was never good at rounders......Rose is offski......hopefully followed by a couple more

USMNT PLAYERS ABROAD

Player Club League
Adams, Tyler RB Leipzig Bundesliga
Alvarado, Ventura Necaxa Liga MX
Bornstein, Jonathan Maccabi Netanya Israeli Premier League
Boyd, Terrence Darmstadt Bundesliga
Brooks, John Wolfsburg Bundesliga
Cameron, Geoff QPR Championship
Carter-Vickers, Cameron Ipswich Town Championship
Chandler, Timmy Eintracht Bundesliga
Corona, Joe Club America Liga MX
Diskerud, Mix Ulsan Hyundai K-League
Gonzalez, Omar Atlas Liga MX
Gooch, Lynden Sunderland League One
Green, Julian SpVgg Greuther Furth 2.Bundesliga
Gyau, Joe Duisburg 2.Bundesliga
Horvath, Ethan Club Brugge Pro League
Hyndman, Emerson Hibernian SPL
Johannsson, Aron Werder Bremen Bundesliga
Johnson, Fabian Gladbach Bundesliga
Kitchen, Perry Randers Superliga
Lichaj, Eric Hull City Championship
McKennie, Weston Schalke Bundesliga
Miazga, Matt Nantes Ligue 1
Moore, Shaq Reus La Liga 2
Morales, Alfredo Fortuna Dusseldorf Bundesliga
Novakovich, Andrija Fortuna Sittard Eredivisie
Orozco, Michael Lobos BUAP Liga MX
Palmer-Brown, Erik NAC Breda  Eredivisie
Pulisic, Christian Borussia Dortmund Bundesliga
Ream, Tim Fulham EPL
Robinson, Antonee Wigan Championship
Rubin, Rubio Tijuana Liga MX
Saif, Kenny Anderlecht Belgium First Division A
Stanko, Caleb Freiburg Bundesliga
Torres, Jose Puebla Liga MX
Weah, Tim PSG Ligue 1
Williams, Danny Huddersfield EPL
Wood, Bobby Hannover 96 Bundesliga
Wooten, Andrew Sandhausen 2.Bundesliga
Yedlin, DeAndre Newcastle United

16 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

USMNT PLAYERS ABROAD

Player Club League
Adams, Tyler RB Leipzig Bundesliga
Alvarado, Ventura Necaxa Liga MX
Bornstein, Jonathan Maccabi Netanya Israeli Premier League
Boyd, Terrence Darmstadt Bundesliga
Brooks, John Wolfsburg Bundesliga
Cameron, Geoff QPR Championship
Carter-Vickers, Cameron Ipswich Town Championship
Chandler, Timmy Eintracht Bundesliga
Corona, Joe Club America Liga MX
Diskerud, Mix Ulsan Hyundai K-League
Gonzalez, Omar Atlas Liga MX
Gooch, Lynden Sunderland League One
Green, Julian SpVgg Greuther Furth 2.Bundesliga
Gyau, Joe Duisburg 2.Bundesliga
Horvath, Ethan Club Brugge Pro League
Hyndman, Emerson Hibernian SPL
Johannsson, Aron Werder Bremen Bundesliga
Johnson, Fabian Gladbach Bundesliga
Kitchen, Perry Randers Superliga
Lichaj, Eric Hull City Championship
McKennie, Weston Schalke Bundesliga
Miazga, Matt Nantes Ligue 1
Moore, Shaq Reus La Liga 2
Morales, Alfredo Fortuna Dusseldorf Bundesliga
Novakovich, Andrija Fortuna Sittard Eredivisie
Orozco, Michael Lobos BUAP Liga MX
Palmer-Brown, Erik NAC Breda  Eredivisie
Pulisic, Christian Borussia Dortmund Bundesliga
Ream, Tim Fulham EPL
Robinson, Antonee Wigan Championship
Rubin, Rubio Tijuana Liga MX
Saif, Kenny Anderlecht Belgium First Division A
Stanko, Caleb Freiburg Bundesliga
Torres, Jose Puebla Liga MX
Weah, Tim PSG Ligue 1
Williams, Danny Huddersfield EPL
Wood, Bobby Hannover 96 Bundesliga
Wooten, Andrew Sandhausen 2.Bundesliga
Yedlin, DeAndre Newcastle United

Make a list for Scotland National Team as well? Although it really doesn't say anything about the domestic league if all their players are outwith their league

On 12/13/2018 at 5:09 PM, Wellfan1984 said:

Make a list for Scotland National Team as well? Although it really doesn't say anything about the domestic league if all their players are outwith their league

Would be interesting to see how many of those players listed are regular 1st team starters and not just fringe squad players.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:58 PM, weeyin said:

Do you think those cherry picked names moved there for the high quality of the league? 

Like the majority of footballers they moved there for the money and the quality of life that North America offers. Why do you think the higher paid players at Rangers and Celtic come here? For the quality of our league?

On 12/12/2018 at 2:58 PM, weeyin said:

Regardless of the make-up of the teams, however, the games just aren't that entertaining.

Yes, in your opinion. I wonder how many people outside of Scotland are entertained by the quality of product we see on a weekly basis? 

On 12/12/2018 at 4:25 PM, Spiderpig said:

You could rhyme off names all day long but it does not detract from the fact that the standard in the MLS is garbage, yes they have big crowds, lots of cash etc but the teams are filled in the most part with 2nd rate players from established footballing nations and young home grown talent who are probably equally as average if not worse.

You need to realise, I'm not saying that the standard in MLS is great, I'm simply saying that it's less garbage than the standard in Scotland. Of course, you're invested in the Scottish game so you don't see it as a neutral, which is how you see MLS. Ask any neutral if they think the standard of a regular SPFL game is higher than mediocre at best. 

My point isn't that MLS is fantastic, my point was that Andy Rose is moving to a team where he'll play in front of much larger crowds, make more money, train in better facilities, come up against some higher quality of players than he ever will with us, and most likely enjoy a higher quality of life. 

It's a no-brainer of a move for someone who isn't attached to either Motherwell or Scotland really. 

3 hours ago, David said:

You need to realise, I'm not saying that the standard in MLS is great, I'm simply saying that it's less garbage than the standard in Scotland.

You're saying that Scottish football is garbage or rubbish (in UK english? If so, what are you comparing it with?  For some years now fans' general expectations have become more and more unrealistic.   When I say that I'm not referring to one teams ups and downs.   

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

You're saying that Scottish football is garbage or rubbish (in UK english? If so, what are you comparing it with?  For some years now fans' general expectations have become more and more unrealistic.   When I say that I'm not referring to one teams ups and downs.   

Look, I'm invested in Scottish football, same as everyone else here, but I'm under no illusions that for a viewer who has no vested interest in any of the teams it would be akin to me watching an English League One or League Two game.

I wouldn't open my curtains if there was an EFL League Two game taking place in my garden, which is how I'm sure most non-Scottish team supporting fans feel.

And I'm not saying that our league should be better than MLS. I wouldn't expect it to be, we're a small country and financially our game is miles behind. Me saying that moving to MLS from Motherwell is a step up isn't intended as a put-down to us or our league, it's just a fact I think. More money, bigger crowds, better facilities, playing against some top names. 

Its interesting that Robbo is saying that Andy's Rose January departure has been known for some time and has been factored into our budget ie there's no cash being freed up.  He wasn't even on the bench yesterday.  Its likely that Jake Hastie will be returning from Alloa.  Significantly though he acknowledges our lack of pace and width and has identified some targets, subject to cash being available..