The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

It was the manager who said 600k, and I’m not sure why that would go down, especially since all of his international appearances came after that statement. However, I’m not sure how the rule works regarding which club he goes to affecting the amount.

It is possible we decide to sell him instead, and take less, but I don’t know why we’d do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, stuwell said:

I’m assuming that we would need to offer him a new contract by a certain date to receive compensation,  as I believe the reason we missed out on anything for Robbie Lietch was due to not offering him one on time.

Anyone able to confirm this?

Yea I’m pretty sure that’s right. If I remember correctly, you have to offer the player a contract on *at least* the same terms as their previous deal and by a certain date to be eligible for the compensation should they leave.  

Its widely believed that the club has budgeted for 10th place, following a few years of unsustainably planning for a top 6 finish.  Some reduction in budget was certainly required I have no doubt about that.  Financial planning in football is notoriously difficult and its far from being an exact science.  A number of factors, such as a number of long term injuries  can easily blow a club off course and I get that.  There's no guarantee if you budget for a top 6 place that you'll finish in 6th spot.  Its not only a case of what our club does its how our competitors budget and fare.  Very fine margins indeed.  

Overall I think our club is well run and has done well off the field but I do feel that budgeting for 10th place is cutting it a bit fine.  There's no room for error whatsoever.  Should we be budgetting for 8th or 9th place instead?  All that said, in preparing our budget,  how do we know what rival clubs are going to do? A budget for 8th place this season might translate into a budget for 11th spot if rivals increase their spending.  

As far as next month;'s window is concerned we need to acquire by hook or by crook some pace and creativity.  Make no mistake, St Mirren, Accies and Dundee will be trying to strengthen their squads and they'll find the cash to do so.  Whether they, or we, are successful remains to be seen though.    

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its widely believed that the club has budgeted for 10th place, following a few years of unsustainably planning for a top 6 finish.  Some reduction in budget was certainly required I have no doubt about that.  Financial planning in football is notoriously difficult and its far from being an exact science.  A number of factors, such as a number of long term injuries  can easily blow a club off course and I get that.  There's no guarantee if you budget for a top 6 place that you'll finish in 6th spot.  Its not only a case of what our club does its how our competitors budget and fare.  Very fine margins indeed.  

Overall I think our club is well run and has done well off the field but I do feel that budgeting for 10th place is cutting it a bit fine.  There's no room for error whatsoever.  Should we be budgetting for 8th or 9th place instead?  All that said, in preparing our budget,  how do we know what rival clubs are going to do? A budget for 8th place this season might translate into a budget for 11th spot if rivals increase their spending.  

As far as next month;'s window is concerned we need to acquire by hook or by crook some pace and creativity.  Make no mistake, St Mirren, Accies and Dundee will be trying to strengthen their squads and they'll find the cash to do so.  Whether they, or we, are successful remains to be seen though.    

Good post and I agree with most of it. What I would say is though, there is a subtle difference between budgeting and planning. 

Given the fan owned status of the club and the fact we have no longer have access to any bank overdraft or rich benefactor, we cant really do anything other than budget for 10th place and get knocked out of both cups in the first round as there is a certain amount of money / income that comes with that outcome and we have to cut our cloth accordingly to balance the books.

However, I would like to think that the club aspires to and plans for slightly higher than that. 

This year for example we have done very well financially which has allowed us to do more around the stadium and off the field.

Like you say, its not an exact science and there is a fine line between aspiration and sustainability. All the more reason we need to ensure our signing policy and strategy is spot on and bears some fruit.

Unfortunately what little extra was made available for the playing budget over the summer does not appear to have been spent wisely.

We do need to try and rectify this in January and its never been more important to get it right.

8 minutes ago, Richie said:

... Southampton apparently looking at David Turnbull.

Can't see it.

I could actually, for a couple of reasons.

I heard or read somewhere recently that with their new managerial appointment they are apparently re-focusing on youth development again. In the not too distant past they had a fair reputation for hovering up and developing younger talent and are seemingly keen to return to that method having lost their way a bit.

With successful forays to the Scottish top flight in the shape of Wanyama, Van Dijk, Foster, Davies and most recently Armstrong  they don't appear to have the snobbish attitude to the Scottish top flight that some English side have.  They will also be well aware that just a few miles along the coast Ryan Fraser, who was plucked from a Scottish side at an early age, has been a success at Bournemouth.

With that in mind they would seem the kind of side who might be interested in someone like Turnbull.

More's the pity!

There will be plenty of teams expressing interest in Turnbull. He’ll have been monitored closely since breaking into our under 20s at 15/16 and quickly becoming a standout performer. 

I think a move to the likes of Hibs or Aberdeen would serve him well ala McGinn and Ferguson but if a team like Southampton make an offer, who have an excellent reputation for youth development, it would be hard to turn down. 

Shame there is next to no chance of him staying at Fir Park. Under the current 1st team regime, Motherwell isn’t the place to be for a technically gifted youngster. 

In Robinson’s interview today he said we’re a good bit down the line with a couple of signings, highlighting that we need pace and width, so it will be interesting to see what central midfielder we sign

Also said that a couple will probably go out.

I wonder if we will see some more of the reserves move out on loan for the second half of the season too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Turnbull is far from the finished article for sure but let’s make no mistake he is a class above everyone else at the club. Even when we struggle he shines with his overall ability, his maturity and composure is high for one just breaking into the first team. People say he should stay and gain experience, I think he would be mad not to take the opportunity to head down to the premier league. First of all his wages will rocket but even taking that out of the equation he will be playing with better players, better coaches, and I have no doubt will pretty quickly establish a first team place, he won’t be phased. He’s very much premier league quality in the making and in my view will go on to be a regular International. We are going to take a financial hit at first but hopefully gain a percentage of future transfer fees when he moves to a top six team, and I have no doubt he will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

Of more concern to me is whether we receive more compensation if he leaves next month or in June. 

My feeling is he will move on next month, if that results in a higher level of compensation then we should hopeit happens at that point. Unless there is a feeling he is the difference between retaining a top flight status or not, I don’t believe he is.

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

My feeling is he will move on next month, if that results in a higher level of compensation then we should hopeit happens at that point. Unless there is a feeling he is the difference between retaining a top flight status or not, I don’t believe he is.

Yes, his potential contribution to our league campaign between now and May has to be factored in.  His agent will be trying to drum up business down south and will be telling potential suitors what his compensation values will be. 

25 minutes ago, smiddy said:

nailed it 

Not quite. We can have all the full backs, wingers and playmakers in the world. Means nothing when we have possibly the worst strikeforce Ive ever seen at Fir Park. 

Jan Shopping List - 1 Lb, 1 Am, 1 St. No point in a winger when we play 3-5-2, we have Hastie coming back if we do need a winger for the odd game

• Like 2

Anyone have any ideas of out of favor players in Scotland we could possibly be interested in? I’m guessing the kind of moves we’ll be making will be for guys that are being moved on to free up a wage, which means we’re probably going to see players who haven’t been playing regularly.

The other possibility would be a loan or two, which seems more likely to me, which would come with the same issue.

I’d be very surprised if we pulled off a Marvin Johnson type deal, I.e. bringing in a player on a modest fee.

There’s also the obligatory comeback chat, but I think in this case there’s more chance of getting hammel and las to lace up their boots again than bringing someone back.

Picked this up from STV https://stv.tv/sport/football/1434092-stephen-robinson-ill-disciplined-main-let-motherwell-down/?fbclid=IwAR1EyCYMvDmN8p7cFjlSSWpmOzY1eP6gNegZ4sfHMIy4dlp0iwkjNJ_rDmU

We may have an offer for Ryan Bowman, it came in very late in the day so we felt it was in everyone's best interests that he wasn't involved."

Hopefully gives us some cash to bring a couple of players in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Anyone have any ideas of out of favor players in Scotland we could possibly be interested in? I’m guessing the kind of moves we’ll be making will be for guys that are being moved on to free up a wage, which means we’re probably going to see players who haven’t been playing regularly.

I read somewhere that Stefan Scougall has been told he can leave St Johnstone. He’s not had a great time in Perth but I’m sure we were in for him in the summer and is a creative type player so I wouldn’t be surprised if we were looking at him. I imagine there’ll be a few Scottish clubs trying to sign him if he’s free to go.