The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

Just now, Dezz said:

I read somewhere that Stefan Scougall has been told he can leave St Johnstone. He’s not had a great time in Perth but I’m sure we were in for him in the summer and is a creative type player so I wouldn’t be surprised if we were looking at him. I imagine there’ll be a few Scottish clubs trying to sign him if he’s free to go. 

According to Saints fans he's lightweight and has done nothing despite being a top earner. Brian Kerr Mk2. No thanks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46690102

Motherwell: Exeter City signal interest in Ryan Bowman

By Scott Mullen

BBC Sport Scotland

Sharethis page
Ryan Bowman
Ryan Bowman celebrates after scoring against Hearts in the League Cup quarter-final

Exeter City have become the second English League Two club to signal interest in Motherwell striker Ryan Bowman.

A bid of a five-figure sum was received earlier this week for the former Gateshead striker from an unknown club.

Exeter are now considering attempting to sign the 27-year-old, who was left out the squad of Motherwell's 1-0 defeat to Kilmarnock on Saturday.

Bowman's contract expires at the end of the season.

Speaking after Saturday's defeat, manager Stephen Robinson said: "We may have an offer for Ryan Bowman.

"It came in very late in the day so we felt it was in everyone's best interests that he wasn't involved."

Since Joining the Scottish Premiership side in 2016, Bowman, who was subject of a bid from Grimsby Town in the summer, has played 86 times for Motherwell, scoring 14 goals and providing 13 assists.

I think we can now add a central defender to our January shopping list.

Hope our injured lads are all ok. Mbulu took a nasty blow to the head (we thought he indicated he'd been punched) and his injury could be very serious. He has to get it repaired PDQ. My wife had a detached retina and its a very serious condition indeed.

I actually like Bowman and think alongside the right individual he offers something, always gives 100%. However he’s never been the same since Moult left and for me it’s time for him to move on. Given he’s been left out I take it it’s close to being a done deal.

I’d play Sammon ahead of Bowman. Or even James Scott. Robinson won’t risk scuppering  Bowman’s transfer and be stuck with him for the second half of the season when he obviously wants to refresh the forward options. 

Just now, Dezz said:

I’d play Sammon ahead of Bowman. Or even James Scott. Robinson won’t risk scuppering  Bowman’s transfer and be stuck with him for the second half of the season when he obviously wants to refresh the forward options. 

Agreed.  Its Sammon & Johnson for me with Scott on the bench.  Big selection headaches for us and, as always at this time of year, you wonder which apparently fit players will also be out through injury or illness. 

Striker or even 2 strikers are top of our wish list surely. Created absolute zero all season which isn’t all down to the strikers but they can’t grab the game by the scruff of the neck and even Danny Johnson as much as he is a good player doesn’t exactly seem the type at the moment to score 20+ goals.

Conor Sammon has played a total of 405 first team games for a littany of clubs and has scored a grand total of 66 goals in that time at an average of 0.163 goals per game.  Begs the question why on earth Robinson brought him onboard even though it is a loan deal.  Clearly not what was/is required at FP.<_<

I have to admit, the Sammon loan deal was a bit of a weird one when it was announced. I was fairly certain he'd go on to do nothing of note, and wondered why we didn't just give young Scott the opportunity to play backup to Main, Bowman and Johnson?

Does anyone know if we can cut his loan deal short in January? Or are we stuck with him until the end of the season?

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Conor Sammon has played a total of 405 first team games for a littany of clubs and has scored a grand total of 66 goals in that time at an average of 0.163 goals per game.  Begs the question why on earth Robinson brought him onboard even though it is a loan deal.  Clearly not what was/is required at FP.<_<

Hes was signed because hes a big, strapping, bald bastard that has the potential to kick fuck out of people.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Let’s be honest we are struggling in a number of departments for the Accies game. Hartley, Dunne, Tanner, Cadden, Carson, McHugh, Mbulu, Donnelly, Rose, Main, Bowman. All out or doubtful at this stage.

Johnson has now accumulated 5 yellow cards after his booking against Killie, does he miss out or is it an alternative game.

That is quite a list of missing players, this season has been so reminiscent of the 2016/17 campaign where it was constant injuries and suspensions and no fluent team selection, I seem to remember everyone put their hopes on McHugh and a returning Pearson bailing us out then. I'm actually looking forward to the winter break (seems to be a recurring theme these days), I just hope we get our transfer business done for the Scottish Cup tie versus County so we can try and kick on.

18 hours ago, David said:

I have to admit, the Sammon loan deal was a bit of a weird one when it was announced. I was fairly certain he'd go on to do nothing of note, and wondered why we didn't just give young Scott the opportunity to play backup to Main, Bowman and Johnson?

Does anyone know if we can cut his loan deal short in January? Or are we stuck with him until the end of the season?

I have heard that we tried to cut the loan deal during the first 6 months but it wasn’t possible but I think it could happen in January but not 100% sure.

Really sorry to see Ryan leaving. Really genuine guy who always tried his heart out for us and IMO the best forward at the club after Louis Moult. A real old-fashioned inside-forward. Great at dragging defenders into areas they weren't comfortable. Good luck big man.

• Like 1

There’s absolutely no doubting Ryan Bowman’s effort and commitment so I would never be overly harsh on him but in reality he’s just not quite up to it at this level. 

I expect he’ll be a reasonable earner and with a wee fee coming in for him then hopefully we can reinvest wisely. 

“An offer we can’t compete with” tells you a lot about our budget when people are crying out for success, the next manager will have exactly the same restrictions. Anyway good luck to the guy, not the most technically proficient footballer but always gave 100%. There are times we will wish we had him to come off the bench and offer something different.

Would never say Bowman was best striker at club, this has prob been the worst batch of strikers we have had in a long time. Johnson can finish but goes missing far to often. Main is a strange one seems to be underachieving dosnt score enough goals but like Bowman seems to give 100%. Sammon has proven he can score goals at this level, I would like to see him get a few games under his belt I know he is unpopular but he still managed goals for Thistle last year. James Scott, can't judge him maybe deserves a chance playing with Sammon to try something different 

On 12/27/2018 at 12:16 PM, Dezz said:

Scott should have been given the last two games before the split to show what he could do.  Main can't score, Sammon's on loan, Bowman is clearly leaving....it's common sense but our manager consistently makes these 'safe' decisions to the detriment of the team.  As it stands we've failed to score in 5 out of the last 7. 

We could have a player in Scott but you'll never know unless you give him a chance.

Just now, 1991 said:

Sammon has proven he can score goals at this level, I would like to see him get a few games under his belt I know he is unpopular but he still managed goals for Thistle last year.

I said about a week ago, half in jest, that when he signed Sammon it was based on height stats rather than anything else.  But he's completely unsuitable for the type of football we play under Robinson.  He wants the ball on the ground, he's not a guy that wants to go into aerial battles, he needs the ball played in to him, not launched at him.

Unless we radically change our style of football Sammon is a non starter.  And if we want to change our style we need a completely different set up and at least a couple of new players.