The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

49 minutes ago, David said:

Deal is done lads, chill out. Announcement once the window is officially open.

I don’t see any reason why he would make an appearance at Accies if it was not a done deal so good news if it’s sorted.

18 minutes ago, superward said:

If we end up with McCormack on loan, some money for Bowman and a freed up wage, and 400k for a youth player, who's under contract, but not even kicked a first  team ball I'd say that's a start to the window I wasn't expecting! 

Agreed.

If we can get in the region of £400k plus presumably a decent sell on clause for a 16 year old, then that’s great business. Leeds would be a cracking move for the boy and hopefully we see him in a Scotland shirt one day. 

However it’s sad if we and Scottish football are getting into a situation where our greatest prospects (e.g. Billy Gilmour) are being signed up by English clubs before fans even get the pleasure of watching the break into the first team. While the national team may be on the up, you wonder about the future of the league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

However it’s sad if we and Scottish football are getting into a situation where our greatest prospects (e.g. Billy Gilmour) are being signed up by English clubs before fans even get the pleasure of watching the break into the first team. While the national team may be on the up, you wonder about the future of the league. 

Exactly this for me.

8 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

If we can get in the region of £400k plus presumably a decent sell on clause for a 16 year old, then that’s great business. Leeds would be a cracking move for the boy and hopefully we see him in a Scotland shirt one day. 

Its quoted as a deal that "may eventually net" us £400k! Probs a hundred grand or so plus add ons. It is poor tho that these prospects are lured away before we even see them in first team action. But money talks in todays game

29 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

He's out injured with a his knee. Not played since November and if he does sign it's a short time loan deal. Will he even be fit? Let Hibs or St.Midden have him.

If only there was a way we could take a break from playing for a few weeks and let him recover from any injuries and get back to fitness...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEWELL said:

He's out injured with a his knee. Not played since November and if he does sign it's a short time loan deal. Will he even be fit? Let Hibs or St.Midden have him.

That actually made me do a LOL ...... You’ve started a little earlier than normal Dewell. Is that the same logic as turning down a bunk up wi Gal Gadot because she might have a wiffy fufu?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Unfortunately, I think this could well be the dystopian future that awaits Scottish first team football. Someone commented the other day about Bowman perhaps getting a better goal to game ratio by taking a step down to League 2. League 2 is NOT a step down.

If Project Brave does what it’s supposed to, then we will see many more young Scots getting cherry picked by bigger English clubs before playing many if any first team games. 

The standard of football in Scotland is turgid and there is limited development potential in playing a limited style of football against the same limited teams over and over again. By contrast, any young talent with a good attitude will grow far quicker by going to a bigger club with infinitely more resources and a highly competitive environment. England also has the league structure to loan out and expose young talent to a range of different levels of opposition.

And whilst we and other Scottish clubs just like us cannot baulk at £400k, we are only affirming our allotted place in the talent development food chain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEWELL said:

You’ll be lucky to see the bells. You’ve started on the booze far too early.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

That actually made me do a LOL ...... You’ve started a little earlier than normal Dewell. Is that the same logic as turning down a bunk up wi Gal Gadot because she might have a smelly fufu?

I am not familiar with Gal Gadot but assume there would be perfectly enjoyable  things you could do with her other than smelling her fufu if that's a problem . Likewise I'd like to think we could change things around to accommodate a player of McCormick's calibre so he doesn't have to do huge amounts of running if that's an issue. 

Aye he can be our James Mc

6 minutes ago, daver said:

I am not familiar with Gal Gadot but assume there would be perfectly enjoyable  things you could do with her other than smelling her fufu if that's a problem . Likewise I'd like to think we could change things around to accommodate a player of McCormick's calibre so he doesn't have to do huge amounts of running if that's an issue. 

Aye Ross Mac can be our new James Mac. Or Brian Mac. No running required. Happy New year everybody im gonna get drunk.

1 hour ago, DEWELL said:

Ach its fine, he doesnt need to be fit, he will only be a bench player getting the occasional 5 minute run cause to bring him on we'd need to earn the right to play football first! 

51 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

Unfortunately, I think this could well be the dystopian future that awaits Scottish first team football. Someone commented the other day about Bowman perhaps getting a better goal to game ratio by taking a step down to League 2. League 2 is NOT a step down.

If Project Brave does what it’s supposed to, then we will see many more young Scots getting cherry picked by bigger English clubs before playing many if any first team games. 

The standard of football in Scotland is turgid and there is limited development potential in playing a limited style of football against the same limited teams over and over again. By contrast, any young talent with a good attitude will grow far quicker by going to a bigger club with infinitely more resources and a highly competitive environment. England also has the league structure to loan out and expose young talent to a range of different levels of opposition.

And whilst we and other Scottish clubs just like us cannot baulk at £400k, we are only affirming our allotted place in the talent development food chain.

I think it’s fair to say Scottish football is seen as a bit of a joke down south by many and yes it’s certainly not great. Personally I would put it at maybe league one level overall with Celtic and Rangers maybe championship level simply because they can attract better players. It really is summed up by the fact we can’t compete with the wages offered by a league two team. But to be fair we have maybe 3500 home fans which is really around the same as the average league one/two team down south. I mentioned Turnbull would be mad not to go down south simply because he has all the attributes to develop quicker and better moving down there, and that’s not even taking wages into account. I can’t really see anything changing.

18 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I think it’s fair to say Scottish football is seen as a bit of a joke down south by many and yes it’s certainly not great. Personally I would put it at maybe league one level overall with Celtic and Rangers maybe championship level simply because they can attract better players. It really is summed up by the fact we can’t compete with the wages offered by a league two team. But to be fair we have maybe 3500 home fans which is really around the same as the average league one/two team down south.

The problem is that many fans have been brainwashed into thinking that the English Premier League as being the standard, which it most certainly isn't.  To be fair many national leagues are seen by those down south as being inferior and to some extent they're right.   

The following League 1 and 2 clubs have average attendances which stand good comparison with our Premiership (without the benefit of Guesome twosome attendances).

Lincoln City 8,754

Bristol Rovers 8,117

MK Dons 7,089

Oxford United 6,908

Swindon Town 6,368

Tranmere Rovers 6,109

Walsall 5,086

Many of these clubs are heavily in debt and/or are owned by rich sugar daddies. 

Obviously, geography and population play a large factor but just a glance at the league 1 and 2 average attendances for last season tells all you need to know about the gulf in club sizes between the 2 divisions. Our only saviour is the old firm for the media coverage/revenue and coefficient they bring.

Due to the nature of the Scottish league structure, there is little movement between the divisions and therefore a far diminished risk with fielding a poor team. By contrast, losing the big gates of a Sunderland or Pompey visit when falling to League 2 can hurt for years, particularly when you’re being outspent by non leaguers and can no longer entice the big clubs to loan their top youth to you.

There isn’t much between the bottom and top 10s of leagues 1 and 2 and I believe it would be within this glut that all non old firm SPFL sides (including the city teams) would level out.

For example, this current Motherwell team would be languishing at the very bottom of league 1 and would struggle to get anywhere near the league 2 playoffs.

BE4AE01A-FD93-41AC-AB39-128DC3CE58D7.png

03B93284-58E0-433F-B857-8FAE23C9FF97.png