The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

As already mentioned above the lad is Well daft as is his family who are as decent and genuine folk as you'll meet.  Today's story comes from the Sun apparently.   By all accounts, young Stuart is taking his time to think things over and I don't think is any rush to move.  Its a big move for a 16 year old lad.  I don't doubt that he and his family will come to a sensible decision whatever that might be.  According to the Sun, we've agreed the same fee with both clubs which I find odd.   Its a redtop story at the moment and time will tell what if anything comes of it.  . 

• Thanks 1

Interesting comments from Craigan backing up what's been discussed in here. Now more free to speak his mind:

Evening Times

MENU

8 hrs ago

Stephen Craigan: Short-sighted agents should put long-term future of young players ahead of making “a quick buck”

10/01/19.HAMPDEN PARK - GLASGOW.Premier Sports announces their new on-air presenting team for the upcoming William Hill Scottish Cup ties...Pictured: Stephen Craigan.

10/01/19.HAMPDEN PARK - GLASGOW.Premier Sports announces their new on-air presenting team for the upcoming William Hill Scottish Cup ties...Pictured: Stephen Craigan.

FORMER Motherwell reserve team coach Stephen Craigan has accused some agents of jeopardising the careers of promising Scottish footballers in order to make “a quick buck”.

Stuart McKinstry, the 16-year-old winger who has been on the bench for the Fir Park club this season, has attracted the interest of English Championship contenders Leeds United in recent weeks.

However, Craigan is keen for McKinstry remain in Lanarkshire and learn his trade by playing regular first team football before moving to a bigger club for more money.

He also admitted that the reluctance of David Turnbull, the 19-year-old midfielder who has played 13 times and scored three goals for Stephen Robinson’s side in the 2018/19 campaign, had been “frustrating” for him.

The former Northern Ireland captain feels young players’ representatives should be wary of the potential negative consequences of a transfer for their clients and should put their long-term development ahead of short-term financial gain.

“There’s a bit of interest in Stu McKinstry,” he said. “He’s been watched in the under-18s. He’s a good talent, a wide player, wants to take men on, good in possession, can go both ways inside or outside. Has a good awareness of space, of where he should or shouldn’t be.

“He’s also a Motherwell fan. I know it would be a big wrench for him to leave if he does. He always wanted to sign for Motherwell.

“He’s quite a young 16. I think he’d need a few guarantees for it to be right for him. Living in the big city? I think he’s a home kid. Talent wise and football wise he can go a long way.

0:000:00

“But at 16 you can be the best in the world and by 20 you might not be. If he doesn’t go then Motherwell have a talent who, in the next couple of years, could be breaking into the first team.

“He’s only played a couple of reserve games, not a lot of minutes. There’s a big jump to being up against guys who are 19, 20, 21. It is physically more demanding first and foremost.

“The first six months in, they learn the habits. He’s been in for that. Now he’s settled, finding his feet in the environment and isn’t overawed training with the first team as a Motherwell fan. He’s got over that. But he’s one for the future.

“If the opportunity is there to move to on sign for Leeds, that’s a big jump for him. I left home at 17 and I felt I was reasonably mature for 17. And I got over here and realised I wasn’t, I hadn’t a clue what was going on.”

Craigan has now left Motherwell to concentrate on his media career, but he added: “David’s a frustrating one. His contract’s up in the summer. He has been offered a very good contract. There’s been four or five offers, I understand, from Motherwell to his representative. It looks like his representative wants him to go somewhere else.

“Agents have to be careful what they’re doing with young players. David has played 15 or 16 games. Why not let him stay and get to the 50 mark? Suddenly his value gets greater. It’s easy to get lost as a 19 or 20-year-old.

“There was a young central defender, Ben Hall, a few years ago played 30 or 40 games at Motherwell and then went to Brighton.

“It was great financially for him in the short term. But he might look now and think: ‘I should have stayed for another year and got another 40 or 50 games under my belt’. He went to Brighton and has been on loan to Notts County.

“I know the money might be there for the agent short-term, they think they can get a quick buck, but I think sometimes people have to look after the welfare of the player. Not every player’s the same. Not every player is at the same stage of development.

“I think the agent has spoken to the manager before Christmas, when I was there, and spoken to the manager about David’s development.

"Maybe that’s why he’s an agent and Stephen is a manager. We’re all in different businesses, all have different roles. I think sometimes you leave the management and development to coaches and managers.

“David has been at Motherwell since he was nine years of age and he’s a fan. It would be a huge disappointment if the club lost a player of his calibre because the agent felt he could make a few quid or could move him on.

“I’m saying that because I worked with him for three-and-a-half years. I know what a good kid his is and what a good family he comes from. I just think sometimes you need to careful who’s giving you advice and where you’re going to end up.”

Premier Sports will screen the biggest games from the Scottish Cup for the next six years/ Available on Sky, Virgin Media and via the Premier Player, new subscribers can get their first month free. Visit www.premiersports.com for details.

Gboly Ariyibi wants to make Motherwell home sweet home on his latest stop in football

By Christopher Jack  @Chris_Jack89Group Senior Sports Writer
Gboly Ariyibi wants to make Motherwell home sweet home on his latest stop in football

GBOLY ARIYIBI has had many stops in his football career. His latest one at Motherwell could prove to be his most important as he finally looks to establish himself.

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't think I've ever heard of Tom Leighton.

Sure he's the kid we let go to Watford a couple years ago. Big Centre Half I think. Same as Semple, he had half the Premiership after him n had been on trial wi Benfica

2 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Sure he's the kid we let go to Watford a couple years ago. Big Centre Half I think. Same as Semple, he had half the Premiership after him n had been on trial wi Benfica

Aye that’s the boy, remember the Benfica story at the time. I was thinking he couldn’t be doing too well as he wasn’t featuring in the national setup. Turns out he opted for NI. 

2 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Aye that’s the boy, remember the Benfica story at the time. I was thinking he couldn’t be doing too well as he wasn’t featuring in the national setup. Turns out he opted for NI. 

I dont think we ever actually got any money for him either!

Pity he's opted for NI - seems to be progressing well and Scotland could be doing with some young centre halves coming through. 

How come we didn't get a payment for him? Did we just accept he wanted to move away and hadn't been with us long?

30 minutes ago, daver said:

Pity he's opted for NI - seems to be progressing well and Scotland could be doing with some young centre halves coming through. 

How come we didn't get a payment for him? Did we just accept he wanted to move away and hadn't been with us long?

Positive we let him go or something which is mind blowing 

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

Is it not FIFA/UEFA that determines what teams have to pay for signing a youngster from another club?

McKinstry is on a pro deal. Not sure Leighton was (he's just signed one win Watford recently,). So maybe limits what we can/can't do.

12 hours ago, weeyin said:

Is it not FIFA/UEFA that determines what teams have to pay for signing a youngster from another club?

I would think it is.  Don't know much about these contracts but I suspect there's a world of difference between pro contracts and those for younger players.  Bigger clubs will be paying youngsters very well. 

14 hours ago, supermarv said:

Positive we let him go or something which is mind blowing 

Yeah, 100% sure I read a quote at the time about us being comfortable we had plenty cover in his position so let him leave, or something along those lines

• Like 1