The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

10 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Just heard now confirmed McManus is definitely leaving so no idea who will be running reserve team now 

McManus was initially earmarked to replace Craigan, so we now have no reserve manager and no under 18s manager,  something the club will need to sort out pretty quickly.

23 hours ago, Del_Superwell said:

McManus was initially earmarked to replace Craigan, so we now have no reserve manager and no under 18s manager,  something the club will need to sort out pretty quickly.

Given that Project Brave required us to have 17 thousand coaches or something, we're probably covered until we find the right people.

Seriously, though, I think we are a pretty good gig for anyone interested in youth development, so expect some quality candidates to apply.

• Like 1

Have to agree with you, I reckon it must seem a fairly attractive gig to any potential candidates, having secured project brave, Irn Bru cup success, noises from the club regarding the current U18 crop, and the well documented interest in Mckinstry, and Turnbull too to an extent. personally no one actually springs to mind though, Had a look at cathro to see if he was still hovering around after hearts but he's now first team coach at wolves.

Going back to Leighton.

Watford have more first team defenders listed than actual players in their U-23s; I'm unconvinced that the system is no more than filling up the rotas and as we know it is very difficult for players to come through to a premiership side. So ultimately I would expect he will make or break it at around D2 level in England, but be a lot older when doing it.

37 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Heard he’s away to Celtics U16 …… yes U16s

Think that shows his ambitions

That he'd prefer more money working at his favourite club with a chance of working his way up to a senior coach's job?

(Also, lots of coaches prefer working with younger kids. Same way as some teachers prefer working in primary schools and some prefer teaching at Uni).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weeyin said:

That he'd prefer more money working at his favourite club with a chance of working his way up to a senior coach's job?

(Also, lots of coaches prefer working with younger kids. Same way as some teachers prefer working in primary schools and some prefer teaching at Uni).

With the amount of money he’s made from the game doubt cash comes into it

He worked with Robinson and Lasley on match days seen him in the stand both home and away taking notes and disappearing to dressing room at halftime 

Just wonder if when McCart left us for Celtic how many of our youngster will be tapped up to follow him 

20 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Cash comes into every job decision, otherwise he'd have worked for us for free.

All the best to McManus. Think it's been known for a while hence the line about a full review being taken place when Craigan left. I'm surprised he didn't leave in the summer after being essentially forced to hang up his boots by Robbo/the club.

Same job, still u18 coach, Ex  Celtic  player,  ex captain, most likely a lot more money, dedicated training complex, big club (like it or not)....can't really blame him. 

A few years ago this wouldnt even be news when our U18 coach left.  I'm sure we'll be absolutely fine. Maybe even better.

If you've never heard it, there's a very good interview with McManus on Simon Ferry's Open Goal podcast. Very positive about Motherwell. I don't remember any great revelations but he did say he knew his time was up in that Edinburgh City game.  Anyone that was there knew it as well. 

All the best to McManus. He split opinion as a player, partly due to expectations, but he was a very good servant to the club and central to some memorable performances. He’ll no doubt be linked with the managers post at Fir Park in the years to come. 

If Lee McCulloch is interested, I’d be happy with that. Think a youth team role would suit him well. 

People have the right to progress there career as they see it. It just rankles sometimes though . Young players who spend a number of years jump ship ,and I know we get a development fee ,but that's not our business plan ,were looking to bring them through into the first team get a couple of years out if them and THEN sell them on. 

We give McManus a coaching  role ,he gets his badges then he's of Tae Celtic first chance he gets.

Even Eddie Black ,who we gave an opportunity to get back into the game by managing our ladies team jumped ship of first chance.

Yes they're thankful for the opportunity bla bla bla, but it's a bit of a kick in the baws just the same.

• Like 1

Just now, postiejim said:

People have the right to progress there career as they see it. It just rankles sometimes though . Young players who spend a number of years jump ship ,and I know we get a development fee ,but that's not our business plan ,were looking to bring them through into the first team get a couple of years out if them and THEN sell them on. 

We give McManus a coaching  role ,he gets his badges then he's of Tae Celtic first chance he gets.

Even Eddie Black ,who we gave an opportunity to get back into the game by managing our ladies team jumped ship of first chance.

Yes they're thankful for the opportunity bla bla bla, but it's a bit of a kick in the baws just the same.

Some good points Jim. I wonder if Celtic will compensate us for McManus leaving or whether he'll pay up his contract. Its not the money but the principle. If coaches or managers are sacked the club is expected to pay compensation to them but if they leave for another club is the club they are leaving compensated? I know negotiations are often held over managerial changes but not sure about other changes such as those involving coaches.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Have you seen the video of him out his face smashing up his flat?

We should be going nowhere near him.

I've heard a couple of other stories from a friend who is related to another Scottish player down south who knows him. He's some boy.  He's settled down a bit apparently and beginning to get his head screwed on. But still a wild one.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Have you seen the video of him out his face smashing up his flat?

We should be going nowhere near him.

Still a cracking player, everybody makes mistakes and a chance of a player like him is someone wouldn’t and couldn’t knock back if available for us 

7 hours ago, daver said:

If you've never heard it, there's a very good interview with McManus on Simon Ferry's Open Goal podcast. Very positive about Motherwell. I don't remember any great revelations but he did say he knew his time was up in that Edinburgh City game.  Anyone that was there knew it as well. 

Christ it wasn't half. The big man looked like he was pulling a caravan.