The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

On 1/8/2019 at 9:27 PM, Yorkyred said:

Am I the only one quite excited by the early transfer dealings ?

At the minute, for me the jury is out. One young centre back away on loan, a striker sold and a centre midfielder moved on. A winger returning from a loan spell at Alloa, another winger in on loan and a striker returning from injury on loan (albeit a striker with an excellent pedigree). I like the idea of adding pace and width but how we plan to set up is a mystery to me. Robinson has talked of now having 433 as an option. Where does McCormack fit in there? As the central striker? Not the best use of his talents. 352 to allow him to play off a main striker makes the signing of Aribiyi and recalling of Hastie pointless.

Before anyone points it out, I know it's good to have different options but the thinking doesn't seem very joined up to me...

29 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

At the minute, for me the jury is out. One young centre back away on loan, a striker sold and a centre midfielder moved on. A winger returning from a loan spell at Alloa, another winger in on loan and a striker returning from injury on loan (albeit a striker with an excellent pedigree). I like the idea of adding pace and width but how we plan to set up is a mystery to me. Robinson has talked of now having 433 as an option. Where does McCormack fit in there? As the central striker? Not the best use of his talents. 352 to allow him to play off a main striker makes the signing of Aribiyi and recalling of Hastie pointless.

Before anyone points it out, I know it's good to have different options but the thinking doesn't seem very joined up to me...

Take the point that at this stage of his career RMcC may be best as a second striker, but that is the standard approach of our manager and the new signings will fit fine in a 442. If you watch McC's goals on Youtube over the last few years he basically scores the same 4 again and again - 1. pens; 2. belter free kicks; 3. placed shots from around the 18 yard line; 4. poached sitters at the back post. That makes him pretty versatile at our level as he'll find these kind of opportunities from any advanced position.

These two signings, return of Hastie and emergence if Scott in the managers eyes give us a huge amount of options - can't be sniffed it. For what it's worth I think we'll see 352  a lot less, a lot more of 442, 4231 and 451/433 in this second half season.

It's also only the middle of January....there will be more movement. 

It feels like McCormack has been around for years (I suppose he has), but he's only 32 and, if he stays fit, should still have plenty to offer.

Davie Cooper was 33 when he signed for us and he just about managed to put in a performance or two.

I'm more interested to see if the new signings change the way we play or if they will be forced into the current system.

I think we should play the Bielsa 3-3-3-1.

Mainly because I hadn’t heard about him until yesterday and I like the cut of his jib, and it would be a hilarious contrast to our philosophy so far, and our players run into each other anyway.  Let’s win 4-3.

Aldred Hartley Dunne

Tait McHugh Livingstone

Boly Campbell Frear

McCormack

I don’t even know if that’s how it’s supposed to work, but lets just enjoy ourselves.

I would fully expect us to be changing shape from 352 to a 442 or 4231 with McCormack part of the 2 or middle of the 3.

Tait aldred Dunne/Hartley dunne/livi/ATS

Ariyibi Campbell Turnbull Hastie/frear

McCormack main

Prefer dunne at CB but may be better off using him on the left for now depending on how ready livinstone is, or uninjured ATS is. I don't see main getting dropped, but if he does, maybe McCormack as the 1 in a 4231 with Turnbull middle of the 3 and mchugh in with Campbell.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, weeyin said:

It feels like McCormack has been around for years (I suppose he has), but he's only 32 and, if he stays fit, should still have plenty to offer.

Davie Cooper was 33 when he signed for us and he just about managed to put in a performance or two.

I'm more interested to see if the new signings change the way we play or if they will be forced into the current system.

I'm happy to put my hands up and admit I talk shite, however that comment is utter shite.  

23 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I think we should play the Bielsa 3-3-3-1.

Mainly because I hadn’t heard about him until yesterday and I like the cut of his jib, and it would be a hilarious contrast to our philosophy so far, and our players run into each other anyway.  Let’s win 4-3.

Aldred Hartley Dunne

Tait McHugh Livingstone

Boly Campbell Frear

McCormack

I don’t even know if that’s how it’s supposed to work, but lets just enjoy ourselves.

Got excited  as I thought we had signed Wolves Centre Half Boly,  what a bargain!!!   heh he ...COYW

On 1/17/2019 at 1:40 PM, weeyin said:

I would like to think that SR would be bringing in new players i.e McCormack and the American  boy and changing our style to suit their abilities and preferred positions as a blind man could see the way we played before the break was not working. And if we get even half as much from McCormack as we did from Cooper then it will be a great bit of business

Robinson shouldn't be allowed to sign anybody else,he should be hunted before he wastes anymore on new players,get a new manager in and tell him to work with the squad he has until the summer,when changes can be made.the season is pretty much over,chances are were going to finish roughly where we are already in the league,there's no point in persisting with shit performances every week and sticking with robinson until at least the end of the season,change it now and let a new guy have plenty of time too assess the squad for next season.

• Like 1

After yesterday's debacle there are big questions to be answered about this transfer window.  Ross MacCormack's signing naturally grabbed a lot of headlines but after his performance yesterday it may take some time to get him fit never mind match fit.  That possibly lengthy period will eat into the reamining fixtures.  Ariyibi looks as though he'll take time to settle in.  No-one one knows what the remainder of the window holds for us but we need another striker and badly and not one who will take months to get up to speed.  Its all very well to bring in players to fire in crosses but who is going to get on the end of them?    

I caught snippets of Trevor Carson on Off The Ball yesterday and thought I heard Tam Cowan say something about seeing him play again next season. Can anyone confirm when he's contracted until? I thought he will be out of contract this summer. 

21 minutes ago, daver said:

I caught snippets of Trevor Carson on Off The Ball yesterday and thought I heard Tam Cowan say something about seeing him play again next season. Can anyone confirm when he's contracted until? I thought he will be out of contract this summer. 

Three year deal when he signed...

It doesn't have any impact on when we might see them on the pitch again but in terms of the contracts of long term injured it was put across in such a way at the AGM that Motherwell are not a not the type of club who will allow the contract of an injured recovering player to expire.