The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Motherwell: Long, Watt, McMillan, Ferguson, Hall, Campbell, MacLean (Hastie 90), Turnbull (Leitch 71), Mackin (Falconer 77) Thomas, Cadden. Subs: Morrison, Livingston.

All of these except for Falconer are playing professional football I think.

7 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Brilliant news on Turnbull, such a special talent. The fact he appears to be a genuine Motherwell fan adds to the enjoyment of watching him progress.

Well done to all involved in getting this deal done. Hastie next hopefully.

Here's an article  in The Record from 2009 when we signed him as a 9yr old.

Motherwell beat top clubs and sign up young David

MOTHERWELL have beaten both of the Old Firm and a host of English sides to the signature of Wishaw wonderkid David Turnbull.

BY ANDY MCGILVRAY

00:00, 21 MAY 2009

MOTHERWELL have beaten both of the Old Firm and a host of English sides to the signature of Wishaw wonderkid David Turnbull.

The nine-year-old midfielder was with Newmains Hammers for four years and came to the Fir Park club’s attention after scoring in every game for the last year – despite being a year younger than his team-mates and opponents.

Hammers coach Alan McNeil is delighted with David’s progress and said: “David has grown into a very talented footballer and I genuinely believe he is destined for the top.

“I have a good relationship with Stuart Ogilvie, a youth scout at Motherwell, and I was delighted when he told me David was to sign.

“I’m sure Motherwell will have a tough time in the future keeping the big guns of Scottish football at bay.

“I know this because over the past few weeks my phone has been ringing constantly from SPL teams enquiring about David.

“Teams like Aberdeen, Falkirk and – this weekend – both Rangers and Celtic have all been desperate to land him.

“I honestly couldn’t be happier for David. He’s a great lad with a great attitude and is a dream to coach.”

Motherwell’s head of youth development, Gordon Young, was pleased to have secured the services of the Lammermoor Primary School pupil.

“I was becoming concerned that we might lose David as I know there are a number of other clubs keen to take him,” he said.

“I am absolutely delighted and I’m sure he’ll do pretty well here.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

Here's an article  in The Record from 2009 when we signed him as a 9yr old.

Remember reading that at the time actually now it's been reposted.

As much as some like to moan that losing the likes of a local boy like Tierney to Celtic from 'under our noses' is terrible scouting and youth management  by the club....we should give the club props for getting someone like Turnbull signed early and keeping him for the last decade.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bart Verheul said:

Crewe set to sign a defender with football league experience from a team in Scotland and have seen a few of their fans suggesting the bold ATS. That would make sense from our point of view as he appears to break after 45mins of use

Sorry for going all Eddie May and quoting myself but further digging reveals its a left back on loan and the deal only didn't happen yesterday due to bad weather. 

2 +2 =5 etc etc but fingers crossed 

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Barry Maguire doing really well at Dumfries. I think our priorities now should be to sign up Hastie and Maguire on longer deals as both expire this summer.  Hopefully negotiations are already underway.

Watching Maguire on Saturday he has all the attributes. Tall, strong, composed, good distribution, good in the air. He looks another winner.

15 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Just to ruin mines and everyone else’s day the first team are training indoor at Toryglen but the fish is training sadly, so as before looks like he’s staying.

We still barred from Ravenscraig after browns blow up? Always think it's mental we train through there rather than in our own town with similar facilities.

1 minute ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

We still barred from Ravenscraig after browns blow up? Always think it's mental we train through there rather than in our own town with similar facilities.

No, we’ve trained there several times since then, including recently. Probably just no let was available at Ravenscraig today. 

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Yep he’s gone but more interesting is that his contract will expire at the end of the season and we aren’t giving him a new so pretty pointless his move being a loan, hope we aren’t still paying anything but suggests to me we will be trying for a left back.

I think Crewe are in the "we never pay any transfer fees" bracket, so probably cheaper for us to loan him out than cancel the last 6 months of his deal.