The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

11 minutes ago, weeyin said:

My only concern would be a backup for Gillespie - not sure if Ferguson is ready to step in. I suppose that is fairly low risk (and you can often get an emergency loan for a keeper).

He’ll do fine good prospect. Got to be given a chance he should get a chance hopefully.

Scott Mullen on BBC site advising lights are out at Fir Park. 

It looks like they are all done at Motherwell. From what I understand, midfielder Gael Bigirimana's move to Hibernian is pretty much done, but not sure anyone else will come in.

You have to say, though, it's still some turnaround. Ross McCormack will only get better, wide man Gboly Ariyibi is raw but is just what the team have needed, while tying down teenage midfielder David Turnbull is probably the best piece of business the club could have done this window.

Motherwell are in a far better place now than when the window opened.

Always a gamble for a player moving to a club with no manager. Needs to hope he fits into the new gaffer's plans.

Didn't see it coming, but with our recent signings, youngsters and Gorrin hitting some form, can see it makes sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Presumably we will receive a 5 figure fee from Hibs for Bigi's services. A good bit of business  by the club. It will give some younger lads some much needed room to develop.

He’s only signed with Hibs until the end of the season. I suspect he’s been pushed out the door.

Given his apparent technical ability, Bigi is a player I always wanted to get a chance but unfortunately whenever he got his opportunity, he never really made the most of it. All the best to him at Hibs. 

Shame we couldn’t have talked someone into taking Hartley too. 

• Like 2

Bigi couldnt tackle a fish supper and cost us a couple of goals because of it. If he was six inches taller and could tackle he would be an outstanding player. But if ma antie had baws she'd be ma uncle. Wont be missed in the slightest.

How could anyone get Hartley and Bigi mixed up going to Hibs ,i dont know .

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Dundee received £45k for Kamara, whose contract also expired in the summer. Don't see why we're different. £45k is chickfeed for Hibs. Bigi never took his chance and blocked younger prospects from progressing.

I hope you are right regarding the fee. In many ways Bigi was a luxury we just couldn’t afford. Shame, as I couldn’t help but like him. You have tithing that his shortcomings will be just as obvious for Hibs as they were for us

Overall a very good window for us but a strange one in that more players left than arrived.  Still, the highlight for me was securing David Turnbull on a 2 year deal.  Ideally I'd have liked to move on Main and Sammon also but thats perhaps being greedy. 

Bigi may be a nice guy but he just failed to perform on the field and for once we have a number of attacking midfielders already playing like Turnbull and Hastie, or just waiting to burst through, if only to step up to the bench, ie Stuart McKinstry, Adam Kettings, Reece McAlear and Liam Brown.  Hopefully all  four will get some game time, even just a few minutes, between now and the end of the season.  They may not all be quite ready just yet but tonight they'll be thinking "I can see a chance here, the decks have been cleared".    

17 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Overall a very good window for us but a strange one in that more players left than arrived.

I've been saying it for ages but the young players we have, for the most part, are better than the guys we were bringing in from non league/League 2 level.

If it gives guys like James Scott and Barry Maguire more of an opportunity great.

Hopeful the likes of Main, McHugh and Hartley are moved on in the summer and we can bring in players with a wee bit of pace and ability.

Certainly signs that Robinson's dinosaur team are soon to be extinct.

we made two good signings, and the players that have left would have made no bearing on the rest of our season (3 of whom were probably on decent money by our standards). I think everyone would feel more fuzzy if we had made the two signings at 11pm today though, but that’s the hype of deadline day. I’m happy they came in earlier and had some part in us getting those two big wins.

With that freed up cash we should hopefully be able to offer contracts to all the young players on the fringe of the team, since it looks like hastie, Scott and maguire are all up at the end of this season. 

McHugh, Cadden, Grimshaw, Gorrin, Main and Frear are all going to be out of contract too (and all the loanees going back) so will be another busy summer.