The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

7 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Most likely we’ve saved on wages and no more, which is still good for us. Our attackers know his weaknesses* so it will be interesting how he does against us.

* you can run right past him.

If he plays, personally I think he will find it just as as difficult holding down a place at Hibs.  A luxury player probably not suited to the Scottish top flight.

Goalkeepers 

Gillespie

Ferguson

Defenders

Dunne

Aldred

Tait

Hartley

Livingstone 

Mbulu

Donnelly 

Midfielders 

Campbell 

Gorrin

Turnbull

McHugh 

Grimshaw 

Aribiyi

Frear

Hastie

Forwards 

Main

McCormack 

Johnson

Sammon 

Scott

That certainly seems a big enough squad to see us through to the end  of the season. With McHugh and Grimshaw both able to play as defenders and McCormack able to play as a winger if/when he gets  fit, it gives us a bit of flexibility. Any money spent would have been unnecessary. 

Obviously have missed out Tanner, Cadden and Carson. I know Tanner and Carson are out for the season, is there any word on when Cadden will return? 

I’m a bit disappointed that we didn’t get the “big target man” that Robinson said we need to progress with the new style of play. It would have made sense to use the rest of this season to work on that and hopefully hit the ground running next season.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

If he plays, personally I think he will find it just as as difficult holding down a place at Hibs.  A luxury player probably not suited to the Scottish top flight.

Yes.  When given his chance and when we tried to play it on the deck he was largely anonymous and didn't show the creativity of which he he was capable.  No doubt he would have been one of the higher wage earners and perhaps that cash will be better put to securing Hastie and Maguire on new deals.  From the little I've been able to glean it seems that we did receive a modest fee for him, which is only right. 

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've been saying it for ages but the young players we have, for the most part, are better than the guys we were bringing in from non league/League 2 level.

If it gives guys like James Scott and Barry Maguire more of an opportunity great.

Hopeful the likes of Main, McHugh and Hartley are moved on in the summer and we can bring in players with a wee bit of pace and ability.

Certainly signs that Robinson's dinosaur team are soon to be extinct.

Won't be near the first team at the moment

4 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Piffle.

Two games I was at immediately spring to mind.  The 1-0 home loss to Hearts in September and the 2-0 away defeat to Livingston in December.  On both occasions Bigi started and we tried to play a bit of football on the deck through him.   On both occasions he failed to live up to expectations and simply did nothing.  There are more examples.  Probably his best game was at Dundee this season when we won 3-1 but that was an exception.  The less said about his defending the better.   In short if he was performing he would have started in far more games than he did.  As Yorkyred says above he was a luxury player probably not suited to playing in Scotland's top flight.

As much as I was a Bigi fan, I'm also not overly bothered he's gone...which surprised me a little bit as I thought I would be! 

He was behind Turnbull in the attacking/creative midfield role. Even Gorrin os doing better than him I'd say. Came on to a game early season then slowly dropped off again. Lacks ability/focus to carry out the defensive side of the game for 90 mins each week. Bit of luxury to be honest unless the team is built around him...and I reiterate, I was a fan! 

Add I , I think he was one of the top earners(?), contract up in summer. All makes sense.

I am also a Bigi fan and thought we wasted him with our style of hoofball - he played some of his best games when we tried to keep it in on the deck. 

Ironic that we punt him a couple of weeks after we make the conscious decision to start playing more football, but with Gorrin, Hastie, Turbull, Gboly, Frear, McCormack and Bigi all competing for starting spots they weren't all going to be happy.

All this "luxury player" patter is nonsense. It's just about getting the balance right. We'd have been in poor shape if we had dropped Davie Cooper because he never tackled anyone or tracked back.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I am also a Bigi fan and thought we wasted him with our style of hoofball - he played some of his best games when we tried to keep it in on the deck. 

Ironic that we punt him a couple of weeks after we make the conscious decision to start playing more football, but with Gorrin, Hastie, Turbull, Gboly, Frear, McCormack and Bigi all competing for starting spots they weren't all going to be happy.

All this "luxury player" patter is nonsense. It's just about getting the balance right. We'd have been in poor shape if we had dropped Davie Cooper because he never tackled anyone or tracked back.

True, guys like Cooper and Russell weren’t great tacklers but they offered the team far more than Bigi and were better footballers, they could influence games more with their ability.

Gorrin also appears a better player.

Good luck to Bigi tho, seemed a decent bloke.

26 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Yeah but Cooper was great.

Bigirimana wasn't the worst player in the squad but he wasn't really good at anything.  Not a defensive midfielder, not a creator, not a goalscorer.

My hope is that Turnbull has shown up a lot of the players in that squad for what they are and the manager has recognised that. 

The players that started this season weren't and aren't good enough and they need to be cleared out.  Rose gone, Bowman gone, Bigirimana gone, Taylor Sinclair gone, there's more need cleared out but we are headed in the right direction.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, weeyin said:

We'd have been in poor shape if we had dropped Davie Cooper because he never tackled anyone or tracked back.

I remember watching the Super Cooper tape back in the 90's and it actually said We were really interested in Cooper at Clydebank, but our scout report was tickboxes and we decided against a move because he couldnt tackle or head the ball.

There’s accommodating your Coopers and Russels, then there’s accommodating your Ainsworths, then there’s accommodating your Bigi’s.

He had plenty of chances to show what he can do, and while he was a decent enough player he didn’t offer enough of anything to overcome his defensive shortcomings. He’s a great character but far from the best player we’ve let go in my time.

Bigi - decent bloke and a footballer in there. He may well prove an astute addition for Hibs, but most have covered what we all (mostly all) think and that is he was a luxury we could not afford. His defensive frailties were glaring and openly cost us goals. 

Good luck to him but not the slightest bit concerned he has gone. 

You realise how bloated our squad was when you see who has left in the window and genuinely believe we will not be one bit worse off. 

We are out of the cup so that is one source of revenue closed off. Prudent pruning of the squad imho. Would like Hastie to follow suit to Turnbull and sign extension as soon as. 

Have to agree Bigi I don’t think he will be greatly miss him and with us out the cup and a very outside chance of top 6 and hopefully relegation eliminated, we are quite rightly trimming the squad.

What we need to do is get McGuire street wise as if Aberdeen rejected an offer of £5million for McKenna, McGuire potentially must be the same as can someone tell me why they value him over £5million as anytime I have seen him I didn’t think he was that good, although he did get picked for Scotland and had a decent game, so I assume his valuation is based on playing for Scotland!!

7 hours ago, steelboy said:

You think we tried to play football on the deck at Livi?

For a good part of the first half...yes.  You'll recall that Bigi was subbed at half time due to his inability to create anything and also for a poor defensive performance.  Livvy sat deep in the first half and played the long ball. His colleagues were looking to him to create something and provide a spark but he just didn't produce the goods. He reminded me of Brian Kerr that day.  Typically a defender or less gifted midfield colleague would feed him the ball only for him to stop when a defender confronted him and make a sideways pass or back to a defender who had to then lump it up the pitch. This happened ad nauseum.  In the interests of accuracy we reverted to the long ball even more after the break.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

You really need to look back at some of his performances, he really was not even close to as good as a few think, including himself.

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

You really need to look back at some of his performances, he really was not even close to as good as a few think, including himself.

I was. That is why I said he had some of his best games when we tried to keep it on the deck. He worked well beside Turnbull - but Gorrin can do that too now he's fit, so we have good cover.

58 minutes ago, supermarv said:

We were looking at bringing in another midfielder according to the interview, wonder if it was a wide player or more central. Actually really enjoyed the interview, Robinson came across very well hope we can just keep the run going.

I would second that, excellent interview that maybe showed Robinson has not always been given enough credit. I think he has actually managed the young players really well.

• Like 2