The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

52 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

You have to ask what the future holds for Peter Hartley. He's 31 and not getting any younger.

Agreed. If his contract was up this year, you wonder if he would be getting a new deal. Unfortunately he has not looked the same player post injury.

34 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

My livi supporting mate really rates him, think he is a fairly versatile defender as well. 

Cheers. Living out of the country for a few years makes it difficult to keep an eye on the bigger picture with regard to Scottish football, though one of the sports channels now shows an SPFL highlights show and the odd live game. You can get wall to wall EPL but it is not really my cup of tea.

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

As expected, that's a whole host of clubs circling round Jake Hastie, Norwich, Leeds, West brom, Sunderland and Swansea. Hopefully takes a leaf out of Turnbulls book and realises the advantages of getting first team football under his belt. 

Unfortunately it looks like taking a similar road to that of Turnbull. 

If the Record are to be believed we are quite a bit apart in terms of agreeing a new contract. Delighted he has made such an impact but not if it means he walks at the end of the season for peanuts.

You Q whether the club have been caught out once again. We have some great talent coming through the youth ranks and I get we can not offer all lucrative contracts but we do seem a little slow to protect our investements. A positive outcome with Turnbull but it could easily have gone against us. 

Let us hope we can tie down Hastie but it may have become more difficult as a result of his impressive form. We shall see.......

When did we last get "caught out"? 

This is 2019. The agents of all the youngsters are on the phone every day touting their clients and discussing with other clubs - often just to bump up their value. 

All we can do is make the best offers we can with the money we have for the wage structure we operate. We even sold Bigi to free up some cash to make our offers. (Of course, we also have the advantage of giving the youngsters game time). 

Cadden, Campbell and Turnbull were all signed up at different times, so we did OK there. I'm sure we have made Hastie a similar offer to Turnbull and we have the added advantage that these guys are all good mates and grew up playing football together; so might just want to play in the same first team for a season or two. We can't force guys to sign - all we can do is show them the benefits of staying with us for a bit longer. Add to that the examples we can point to of guys that left too soon, and we have a good chance of keeping most of our prospects.

The timing of these deals it tricky. For every Hastie and Turnbull there are a dozen Bob McHughs, Craig Moores and Dom Thomases who never make it in the first team. We can't afford to splash out on all of them and hope one or two make it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

How much did we get for Bigi ? Reported over here that his contract was up in the summer so we allowed him to leave in the window 

I think the Motherwell Times suggested that we received a modest/nominal fee, which would seem reasonable in the circumstances. 

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

When did we last get "caught out"? 

This is 2019. The agents of all the youngsters are on the phone every day touting their clients and discussing with other clubs - often just to bump up their value. 

All we can do is make the best offers we can with the money we have for the wage structure we operate. We even sold Bigi to free up some cash to make our offers. (Of course, we also have the advantage of giving the youngsters game time). 

46 minutes ago, superward said:

Hastie will sign. Bookmark this post.

I think he will as well, he knows that if he continues to progress for another couple of seasons he will get his big move, on current form he looks like he has a bright future in the game

12 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

As expected, that's a whole host of clubs circling round Jake Hastie, Norwich, Leeds, West brom, Sunderland and Swansea. Hopefully takes a leaf out of Turnbulls book and realises the advantages of getting first team football under his belt. 

Is anyone surprised?  No doubt the youngster's agent has been trying to stoke up a bidding war using a friendly journalist to publicise it. We'll wait and see. 

I really hope hastie and all our other young talent for that matter look at the careers of lee erwin, ben hall, robbie leitch etc to see that chasing the money early on doesn't usually pay off. Another one is matt kennedy of st j, left killie after a few promising appearances and now, arguably, he's 5 years behind where he could/should be.

I know, I know.... short careers, could get injured and so on..... but surely you'd rather make a name for yourself in the game?

• Like 1

Hastie scored 3 goals in about 23 games for Alloa and 2 were against 2nd division team in cup . As contract is up in summer I’m sure we got him back to see if could cut it in premiership ,and he has probably surprised everybody with how well he has done as has been brilliant . I am hopeful he will sign new deal ,but has to come within our budget, as we must remember only played a few 1st team games for us all be it very good games . Unfortunately agents running football these days but we can’t be held to ransom by them  ,but as I said still confident we can agree terms and expect him to stay fingers crossed .

5 hours ago, mfc88 said:

I really hope hastie and all our other young talent for that matter look at the careers of lee erwin, ben hall, robbie leitch etc to see that chasing the money early on doesn't usually pay off. Another one is matt kennedy of st j, left killie after a few promising appearances and now, arguably, he's 5 years behind where he could/should be.

I know, I know.... short careers, could get injured and so on..... but surely you'd rather make a name for yourself in the game?

I was about to post the same thing but you beat me to it. Erwin is a classic example of someone who had half a season playing top flight for us and then decided he could do better. Fair do's, he made a lot of short term money but his career at the top level is all but fucked now.