The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

On 2/17/2019 at 11:25 AM, ropy said:

A Portsmouth scout picked up a ticket in front of me today, presumably that is run of the miĺl and especially with only a couple of games on today but the youngsters may be creating a stir.

There was also a scout for Birmingham City at game v Hearts. 

Sadly the chances are Hastie’s agent has had any one of a number of English and Scottish clubs offering him a deal. Based on his recent performances and type of goals he has scored he is the name on everyone’s lips at the moment. 

He has been offered a contract by us but that is now another week past and nada. He wants to stay but he will likely have more attractive and lucrative options by now.  His agent is probably only doing his job by  securing the best deal for Hastie.  Whether we budge or not who knows.  But the longer it goes unsigned the less optimistic I am. 

Yes Robinsons on record as saying we made best offer we can. Why make that public? No news yet he mentioned wanting to stay. I urge well society board to make another offer, push boat out. Great if he even had one season with Turnbull. If he scores winner against Celtic , he could gave even bigger clubs than Hull after him. Keep him and have a real go at winning a cup. 

2 hours ago, robsterwood said:

I urge well society board to make another offer, push boat out.

Rather than do that why don't we ask the fans to pay for another  hike in his wages?  If 4,000 fans paid say £2 a week month that might help.  In effect it would be the same as your suggestion.  Not a road I'd go down. 

As well fans were used to loosing talent as soon as its shown on pitch. Becomes demoralising after a while. Least do all we can. Other clubs speculate to accumulate. I think we missed out on Hastie and should have signed him up while on loan. Suppose we hoping he feels something for club and proper development chance.

As well fans were used to loosing talent as soon as its shown on pitch. Becomes demoralising after a while. Least do all we can. Other clubs speculate to accumulate. I think we missed out on Hastie and should have signed him up while on loan. Suppose we hoping he feels something for club and proper development chance.

The problem is that no-one expected Hastie to return to us after his loan and make such a stunning impact and that includes the lad himself.  He thought he'd return and have to fight for a first team place.  I'll defend the club over that decision.  Signing youngsters on long term deals is a bit of a lottery. 

I hope the lad is as good as his word. 

• Like 2

Yes Robinsons on record as saying we made best offer we can. Why make that public? No news yet he mentioned wanting to stay. I urge well society board to make another offer, push boat out. Great if he even had one season with Turnbull. If he scores winner against Celtic , he could gave even bigger clubs than Hull after him. Keep him and have a real go at winning a cup. 

Don't say it and folk moan about the club saying nothing, canny win.

Turnbull and Hastie should have been signed up ages ago.  They were the best players in a very good U20s team and for both of them to go into the last 6 months of their contracts without a renewal shows you how little interest we had in developing youth to first team level until very recently. 

I honestly believe both these players could have been heading out the club under slightly different circumstances at the end of the season (either being released or snapped up) and it's only the huge impact both these players have had, Turnbull, is the single individual most responsible for turning our season around almost 180 degrees, that has seen these players re-evaluated. 

Our attitude has been entirely reactive when we should have an inside scoop on how good these players are and prioritized keeping a hold of them.  I mean, I knew Turnbull was a fantastic footballer last season watching half a dozen U20s matches and not that I'm claiming any special abilities.  Some things are obvious and yet seemed to remain unnoticed.

Of course now we are offering deals to other younger players, and I genuinely believe a number of other players from Craigan's Babes, can step up to first team level but this whole situation could have and should have been avoided. 

Hopefully we have seen the error of our ways and are taking a much more progressive path.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Turnbull and Hastie should have been signed up ages ago.  They were the best players in a very good U20s team and for both of them to go into the last 6 months of their contracts without a renewal shows you how little interest we had in developing youth to first team level until very recently. 

I honestly believe both these players could have been heading out the club under slightly different circumstances at the end of the season (either being released or snapped up) and it's only the huge impact both these players have had, Turnbull, is the single individual most responsible for turning our season around almost 180 degrees, that has seen these players re-evaluated. 

Our attitude has been entirely reactive when we should have an inside scoop on how good these players are and prioritized keeping a hold of them.  I mean, I knew Turnbull was a fantastic footballer last season watching half a dozen U20s matches and not that I'm claiming any special abilities.  Some things are obvious and yet seemed to remain unnoticed.

Of course now we are offering deals to other younger players, and I genuinely believe a number of other players from Craigan's Babes, can step up to first team level but this whole situation could have and should have been avoided. 

Hopefully we have seen the error of our ways and are taking a much more progressive path.

Agree with ya beezer sometimes a player just sticks out 

see below my post back in September 
Its taken us a while to get there but all good things come to those who wait
At that time I also said that young Barry Maguire would be our centre half for years to come …… we will just have to wait and see on that one
Good to know I can still spot a “player” when I see one 

Couple of years ago I watched a young Alan Campbell in the U20 and thought that he had all the attributes to make an impact in the 1st team which he has done once he was given the chance to do so.

Also in that team albeit a year younger was David Turnbull and I have taken an interest in his progression ever since. I think that this boy has the ability and attitude to make it to the highest level in the game way beyond Motherwell 

To my mind he has all the attributes that Campbell brings to the table and a bit more, he can pick a pass and has hit a few screamers from outside the box. This is where I have a problem with Robison … … how do we know if this boy is good enough if he is not given a chance to show what he can do at a higher level. Yes he has been given a couple of outings at the end of last season and to my mind did not look out of place … but we resign Rose, Grimshaw and Gorrin and the boy finds himself way down the pecking order. 

If anyone is going to the Sligo game I suggest you have a good look a this young boy and see what he could bring to the table IMO he is way beyond his years and if only like Campbell he could just be given a chance who knows where it could lead to.

I’m a huge fan of Turnbull, think he will end up in the Premiership down south at a top club in a couple of years. I like Hastie and would love to see him sign up ( and still think he will) Is he the same level of talent as Turnbull ? At this point i’m still not sure, work in progress.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Bob McHugh, Craig Moore (especially beside Lee Erwin) and Dom Thomas were all standouts at the U20 level. If we did a Dundee Utd and signed them all on 6 year contracts, they'd all still be on the payroll.

Add Luke Watt, Dylan Mackin, David Ferguson and others  to that list.

I seem to remember something about Lee Erwin being offered a deal we didn't want him to sign as we would have been due a hefty development fee for him when he signed for someone else. I know we are on record as saying we've offered Hastie as much as we can but could this be a similar situation?

3 hours ago, Heisenboab said:

I seem to remember something about Lee Erwin being offered a deal we didn't want him to sign as we would have been due a hefty development fee for him when he signed for someone else. I know we are on record as saying we've offered Hastie as much as we can but could this be a similar situation?

I doubt it. I think that Hastie could command a much bigger transfer fee if he can maintain his current form even sporadically.

It is true that we pay a hefty % of transfer fee to previous owners and that is not the case with a development fee or so I believe. But would be in all our interests to settle with previous owners ASAP. 

At least if he does not sign we will get a return for our investment but a much smaller one than could be the case. 

We shall see. But I almost want him to be anonymous v Celtic rather than him scoring the winner. Almost.....

31 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I doubt it. I think that Hastie could command a much bigger transfer fee if he can maintain his current form even sporadically.

It is true that we pay a hefty % of transfer fee to previous owners and that is not the case with a development fee or so I believe. But would be in all our interests to settle with previous owners ASAP. 

At least if he does not sign we will get a return for our investment but a much smaller one than could be the case. 

We shall see. But I almost want him to be anonymous v Celtic rather than him scoring the winner. Almost.....

I think scoring a winner against Celtic at their place is a pretty long shot so you should be ok.

Hastie will either stay or go. No point losing sleep over it. The club has stated that it has made their best possible offer and it is on the table for him to consider. I believe them. The risk in “ pushing the boat out” to get his signature is twofold. Firstly, send up spending money we cannot afford and secondly, we upset and unsettle others who have already signed up for lesser amounts. Our offer has to be about more than just cash as that is an area we cannot compete on. We have to be seen to be offering a career development pathway that will improve them as players while with the club and allow them to make the move for bigger and better things when the time is right. David Turnbull must have seen it in that light so hopefully Jake Hastie will do likewise.

• Like 2