Andy_P

On 2/17/2019 at 12:21 AM, dinnae-punt-it said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47265833

Motherwell: Jake Hastie on Gareth Bale, autographs & contract talks

By Scott Mullen

BBC Sport Scotland

3 hours ago

Jake Hastie scores incredble long-range shot against St Mirren

"I still watch him now and try to replicate him. Before games, I go on to YouTube and watch some of his clips and a couple of his goals."

Inspiration can be found in the most unusual places in football. The training ground, the moment of genius of a team-mate, or even a hair-dryer team-talk from an irate manager.

For Motherwell's Jake Hastie, it is in watching online videos of his idol and Real Madrid superstar Gareth Bale.

The 19-year-old has shot to prominence since returning to Fir Park from a loan spell at Alloa Athletic, scoring four goals and creating one in just five games.

However, Well fans thinking the blistering runs and aggressive attacking play are all down to him would be mistaken.

"I looked up to Gareth Bale a lot when I was younger," Hastie told BBC Scotland ahead of Sunday's Scottish Premiership match with Hearts. 

"When he was at Spurs in the Premier League before he made his move to Real Madrid, that's when I really focused on him.

"Now, there's stuff he does that I try and replicate - especially his explosive runs. When I pick up the ball, I'll try and go to beat two or three players like he does.

"I always do it then I'll watch him to see how I can work on my game and bring in certain aspects of his. I want to try and make something happen like he does." 

Jake Hastie

Jake Hastie has scored four goals in five games since returning to Motherwell in January

Autographs, pictures & living the dream

It is not often the comparison is made between a Motherwell youth academy player and the man who in 2013 held the world's biggest transfer fee at £85.3m.

But the impact he has made at Fir Park cannot be questioned. 

Upon returning from Alloa, his goals, assists and dynamism have helped drive Stephen Robinson's side to five Scottish Premiership wins in a row.

Hastie, who spent the first half of the season at the Championship club with four goals in 27 games, admits even he has been surprised by his rapid ascent.

"It's like a dream come true," he said. "I came up through the academy from the age of nine and this has been my dream to break through. I just want to keep doing that.

"My friend's little brother plays with one of the younger age groups, so I went down to see him. I then got out the car and people are asking for autographs and pictures.

"It made me stand back. It blew me away a wee bit."

Motherwell's Hastie a great kid - Robinson

'I don't want to go anywhere'

Hastie's current contract at the Scottish Premiership club runs out in the summer with negotiations ongoing about an extension.

While a conclusion has yet to be reached, the forward's mind already seems made up. 

"I don't want to go anywhere," he said. "I want to stay here, keep my feet on the ground and keep progressing.

"I've been lucky to come in straight away. Hopefully I can keep doing what I'm doing."

LOL why would it put rumours to bed. Footballers and their  agents could hide behind a corkscrew when it comes to comments about their future. The game is littered with players talking utter bollocks to cover all angles. The only time to believe what a player says about signing a contract is  1  second after its signed. Up until then everything that's uttered should be treated as bullshit 

17 hours ago, ropy said:

Hastie will sign then both he and Turnbull will sign for Leicester in August, that’s how I remember it happening before.

Turnbull = McAllister, fair enough, but Hastie = Mauchlen, I'm not sure about that one

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

LOL why would it put rumours to bed. Footballers and their  agents could hide behind a corkscrew when it comes to comments about their future. The game is littered with players talking utter bollocks to cover all angles. The only time to believe what a player says about signing a contract is  1  second after its signed. Up until then everything that's uttered should be treated as bullshit 

A lot of truth in that. However I was always taught to trust people until they give you cause to do otherwise. Maybe I'm naive. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The African said:

I always thought McAlister had the potential and Mauchlen was a steady pro already. Was it a quarter million for the pair? Selling cheap again.

Of course though more than ever at that juncture since we were heavily in debt, there reports in newspapers about us seriously considering having to go part-time with even some concerns about the viability of the club, our hands were forced.  McClair and Walker were other more notable examples , Dornan and Forbes possibly a little less so, but all went without us not perhaps getting what we perhaps might have.

There is a debate to be had about whether we are getting it right with the younger players in the squad, and history will tell whether Kipre went at the right price, but certainly encouraging in recent times how the likes of Heneghan, Moult and Johnson went on terms we were happy with (if not all perhaps at times we were happy with).

14 hours ago, The African said:

I always thought McAlister had the potential and Mauchlen was a steady pro already. Was it a quarter million for the pair? Selling cheap again.

Sort it out Burrows.

19 hours ago, The African said:

They bought McAllister for the footballing potential and Mauchlen for ginger 'tache potential.

1 minute ago, Haggischomper said:

Given McHugh's history of concussions and being knocked unconscious today you sort of have to fear for his career prospects with us

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes he's been in the wars several times at least half a dozen times he's had bad head injuries and the fact he's not very good anyway means he will be moving on soon.

Do the reports that we’ve signed a centre back from Livi suggest we’re either selling Dunne or we’ve realised we won’t be able sign Aldred permanently?

Hope not but looks like good forward planning regardless. 

50 minutes ago, gee said:

Do the reports that we’ve signed a centre back from Livi suggest we’re either selling Dunne or we’ve realised we won’t be able sign Aldred permanently?

Hope not but looks like good forward planning regardless. 

Difficult to know, many thought Aldred would not return last summer, would he commit again ? I would say not impossible. I wonder if Hartley may actually move on, he’s not that suited to the style we play now.

I am sure someone mentioned Aldred being out of contract in the summer. I reckon he will however be on a fairly hefty wage, 3k a week maybe? would he be willing to take a pay cut? His performances will certainly have caught the attention of others who can pay much more than us.

The chat I had heard last summer was that he was on £3k a week at Bury, but had a 25% relegation wage drop clause, meaning he would now be on £2.25k a week, so he'd have to take a further pay cut to stay here you'd think.

Just now, robsterwood said:

Hastie linked with Milwall today and one story linking with Celtic and going back to Well on loan. That would be dissapointing. Any real news on new deal?

He's publicly stated that he wants to stay and thats good enough for me.

• Like 1