The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

I think we just need to be patient, paper talk is paper talk, most of it means very little. A couple of posters have stated he is staying, I would not make that statement unless I was sure so I trust it’s correct.

We had the same nonsense with Turnbull. Hopefully we get the same result.

Id love to see a first team with Maguire Campbell Cadden Turnbull Hastie and Scott in it.

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'm hearing that Hastie is away

To be fair its all we deserve! We got lucky with Turnbull staying, but for a selling club, our "policy" when it comes to retaining young players is horrendous and amateurish at best. Stevie Wonder could see the 3 players from the 20's most likely to make an impact were Maguire, Turnbull & Hastie, so for the club to wait till the final 4 months of their contracts before bothering to offer a contract, (while sneaking through extensions for Shea Gordon & George Newell!) is laughable. 

1 hour ago, Shaka said:

To be fair its all we deserve! We got lucky with Turnbull staying, but for a selling club, our "policy" when it comes to retaining young players is horrendous and amateurish at best. Stevie Wonder could see the 3 players from the 20's most likely to make an impact were Maguire, Turnbull & Hastie, so for the club to wait till the final 4 months of their contracts before bothering to offer a contract, (while sneaking through extensions for Shea Gordon & George Newell!) is laughable. 

Disagree.  Hastie himself was as surprised as anyone when he came back from Alloa and made such an impact in the first team.  Maguire has been promising but nothing more.  Turnbull very talented but untried - maybe I'll give you that one.  You can't dish out long well paid contracts to every promising youngster in the youth ranks as we cimply can't afford it.  We're not the Dundee United of years ago who simply threw cash at their youth set up.  Look at the likes of Luke Watt and David Ferguson  and Dom Thomas to name but three.  If we did that our squad ranks would be filled with young 20 something players who weren't going to make it and a fair chunk of our budget would be used up.  

As Robbo has said recently its not all about talent its as much about attitude and you can only test that in first team football somewhere.  Dom Thomas and Paul Slane?  For older fans we had the likes of John Gray and Jim Beaton.  These guys had/have amazing, really amazing, talent but just couldn't do it on the park at a senior level.  Its a fine balancing act not always easy to get 100% right. 

I remember talking to Jim Leishman 5 or 6 years ago and he told me that its one of the hardest things in football to predict which talented youngsters would make it and which would not.  He said they were all talented otherwise they wouldn't have signed them in the first place.

• Like 1

Quite disappointing if Hastie is away considering all the chat he was giving in the press. Right place to develop, staying grounded, not getting ahead of himself, doesn't want to move on and two weeks later he's rumoured to be gone. Money does talk it would appear. Happy for him to go down south, if he ended up at another scottish club I would be quite disappointed.

3 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'm hearing that Hastie is away

Hearing the potential to be the same.

The amount of seriously interested clubs shot up so a proper decision to make now for Jake. Also we are quite restricted in what we can offer.

3 hours ago, Shaka said:

I'm sure the club would be delighted to hear how you make players sign contracts. 

There isn't a club on the planet that keeps 100% of their prospects, and given all we can really do is offer the chance to play first team football (sometimes), we are always at risk of losing out to teams with wads of cash to wave around.  

If he is leaving then good luck to him. He'll need it. Yes he has shown potential but in reality he's achieved the square root of f*ck-all. The road out of FP is not paved with gold.  It has been well-trodden by many before him and only a really very select few have ever gone on to so-called better things.  If he seriously thinks his future footballing career can be best served by joining any of the clubs that have allegedly shown interest in him, then he should crack on as soon as possible and make way for others. MFC won't crash and burn on the basis of him or anyone else leaving to go elsewhere.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'm sure the club would be delighted to hear how you make players sign contracts

This is it in a nutshell.

Can throw contracts about all you like, its ultimately the player's choice.

You could argue it should have been sooner, but as people have said its very hit and miss. Can't sign everyone.

Given that he’s played only 10 or so games for us, I’m quite surprised that so many clubs are interested. With the best will in the world to Jake, there have been a lot of boys who have come into the game, made a great impact and faded through a full season.

Of course, I hope I’m totally wrong and he is the real deal! 

It would be a shame if we lost him,  but as is echoed above, you can’t force people to sign contracts and our approach worked with Turnbull and Scott.

I assume that if we lose him for a development fee there’s no scope for negotiating a sell on? 

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'm sure the club would be delighted to hear how you make players sign contracts. 

There isn't a club on the planet that keeps 100% of their prospects, and given all we can really do is offer the chance to play first team football (sometimes), we are always at risk of losing out to teams with wads of cash to wave around.  

There must be clubs that tie their best talent up beyond the age of 19?

As Shaka says extending Shea Gordon and Newell (and we all know why) rather than the actually talented players is criminal.

It's a situation where I can see both sides of the argument. 

At a recent home game I heard someone say that we should have had him tied down on a contract before we put him in the first team. Our history is filled with players who impressed at U20 level but who never made an impact at first team level. Think of Dom Thomas, Bob McHugh, Luke Watt in recent years. There have been guys who have made an initial impact and faded, like Forbes, Saunders and Carswell. We as a club have made some mistakes in offering some contracts and ending up with players here who weren't good enough at first team level. That being said, we seem to get more decisions right than wrong. That old chestnut about how many young players have we let go who have gone on to better things. 

If Hastie has faith in his ability, the two examples he should perhaps look at are Lee Erwin and Robbie Leitch. They moved early to big clubs and made a fair bit of money by doing so. What the stalling in their development has done for their earning potential for the rest of their careers would however make me wonder if in the long term they will really end up massively better off by the end of their careers? 

The club have made the best offer they can. As others have said, there's no point in worrying too much about it. Players have left over the years, others come in. We move on. Semple is a player that has been much talked about, pretty sure those who watch the U20s will know of others.

I would love him to stay but if Hastie leaves, then he leaves with my best wishes. He's given us some great moments and been a massive part in stopping what could have been a slide into a relegation battle...

Also on the subject of contract extensions, if Gorrin and Grimshaw are out of contract in the summer then that's an issue I'd be looking at right now. Gorrin in particular but if we keep striking out with left back signings then Grimshaw at right back and Tait on the left wouldn't be the worst option to go with...

13 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Grimshaw at right back and Tait on the left wouldn't be the worst option to go with...

It wouldn't be the worst option - we could bring back Joe Chalmers -  but it would still be incredibly stupid.

We need fullbacks who can distribute the ball. Tait can't do it on the left and Grimshaw can't pass to save his life.

• Like 1

Last summer the Club was on a high after reaching two Cup Finals. The feel good factor was there and things should have been looking rosy for younger players looking to break into the first team .  Craigen developed a youth/reserve team that was joy to watch, the players appeared to be having fun as well as learning required skills and attitude. Within that team there were at least four players with a much greater than average chance of making a very good career for themselves. To compare the likes of Turnbull , Hastie, Scott and McGuire to the likes of Watt and Thomas and even Erwin is just clouding the issue for justification purposes. Setting aside their undoubted greater ability,  the current crop's attitude alone makes them a grade or two above those three. There is no comparison.

The policy of utilising supposedly scarce funds on the likes of Sammon,, Taylor-Sinclair, Newell, Gordon was short sighted and whoever made those decisions blundered. I agree you cannot make players sign but does anyone honestly believe that last July those four youngsters would not have jumped at the chance of three year contracts and inclusion in the first team squad? And possibly on lesser terms than we recently extended to Turnbull and Scott. And the argument is also put forward that it was less risky financially to opt for Sammon etc. Well how exactly did that work out? 

Hopefully Hastie and McGuire do extend their contracts and the lack of belief/trust shown by the decision makers last summer acts as a lesson learned and does not hurt us too much financially. Or, from a fan perspective, on the pitch. Talent like Turnbull and Hastie does not come along that often and we cannot afford to lose it through our own inactivity and lack of foresight.

39 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Also on the subject of contract extensions, if Gorrin and Grimshaw are out of contract in the summer then that's an issue I'd be looking at right now. Gorrin in particular but if we keep striking out with left back signings then Grimshaw at right back and Tait on the left wouldn't be the worst option to go with...

Gorrin was saying in an interview towards the end of last year that he wanted to stay and that he has an automatic one year extension in his contract if he plays in a certain amount of games, but at the time of the article he stated he was quite far off reaching that target. Obviously he has been paramount in the recent form, it would be interesting to know how much games he needs to play.

The club is in a no win situation, no one knows for sure if Hastie will carry on improving, its very, very early days and he’s had a few decent games since returning from his loan move.  No club our size is going to retain every player, we’ve done pretty well overal. I think it’s frankly unfair to have a go at the club on this one and we might do well to remember that he could still sign. All this is, is paper talk, let’s wait and see before we make judgements.

• Like 2

It would be easier to name the clubs that have not reputedly been linked with Hastie. 

Why would they be interested. Because even if we get £300k compensation that is peanuts for most clubs. 

Shame if he leaves and tbh I thought as soon as he started banging in 30 yarders there was every chance he would. 

Of course he would like to stay. But there are probably now far too many options and lots of money on offer. 

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I do tend to agree that we ought to have seen enough to offer him a 1 year deal a while ago. As has been rightly mentioned we have offered some extensions that are bewildering. 

Time will tell but not looking overly positive......