The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

50 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

This could have a similar effect on his career as Slane to Celtic. 

Slane suffered a bad injury when at Celtic and his career never really recovered.  Nobody knows what sort of career he would have had without that injury which seemed to rob him of some of his pace.

Its been clear for a while,even at under 20s level,that both turnbull and hastie had the potential in time to come into our first team and make an impact,why we've waited until that's happened to try and get them both on new deals is a mystery.there was folk I would talk to at under 20s games last season,who were concerned even then that we didn't have turnbull on a longer term and that was way before he got into the team at the end of last season.I get that nobody could really have imagined that both would have made such an instant impact in our first team and the club probably thought they had more time to get them on new contracts but the fact that we put ourselves in the position where we could have lost arguably our two most talked about youngsters since faddy,is criminal.

20 minutes ago, johnstone said:

Can we trust The Sun?

I do hope not.

As for what it would mean if true, a poor return for us and talent probably wasted at a poisonous club.

The one thing that needs to be said though, if this comes to pass, is that all the usual suspects who will blame the Club need to be told to wind their heads in. Young players at our Club are offered an opportunity to improve themselves as players and then go on to make the most of their careers. We can offer no more than that. Ifyoung players do not see it as such and choose to move on, their is precious little we can do about it.

As I said before letting your best young players enter the final 6 months of their contract is criminal. The club is massively to blame for that. Giving out extra years to duds like Newell and Gordon but letting Turnbull and Hastie get close to expiry is poor and hopefully sparks a rethink by Burrows.

The issue isn't about whether they will make a career at this level or higher but whether or not they are the best we have to develop. 

I've got no problem with him playing as long as he is focused. We have had good performances from players who have signed PCAs in the past. As far as the move goes it's his career, as a club and fans we show no loyalty to players we release so it's hypocritical to expect too much from the likes of Hastie. No one is worried about where Kyle McDonald or Jordan Armstrong will be next season.

But of an overreaction in my view. I’m still on the fence to a degree on just how good a footballer Hastie will turn out to be. Yes he’s shot into the limelight in a short period of time and it’s certainly a blow IF he’s not signing ( it’s the sun folks). However the club has to have a balance when it comes to the length and size of any contracts offered, there are risks with any young player as everyone on here has seen in the past. I do not see why we would not play him regardless of who he signs for, that’s just cutting off our nose to spite our face. It’s football and players move, always been that way and always will be and every club loses out at times regardless.  I do think at times on here some posters just love to have a go at the club regardless of what they do.

23 minutes ago, steelboy said:

As I said before letting your best young players enter the final 6 months of their contract is criminal. The club is massively to blame for that. Giving out extra years to duds like Newell and Gordon but letting Turnbull and Hastie get close to expiry is poor and hopefully sparks a rethink by Burrows.

The issue isn't about whether they will make a career at this level or higher but whether or not they are the best we have to develop. 

I've got no problem with him playing as long as he is focused. We have had good performances from players who have signed PCAs in the past. As far as the move goes it's his career, as a club and fans we show no loyalty to players we release so it's hypocritical to expect too much from the likes of Hastie. No one is worried about where Kyle McDonald or Jordan Armstrong will be next season.

When did the club start transfer negotiations ? 

8 hours ago, Shaka said:

What happened to our "boys in the know" Assuring everyone he was re-signing? Talking pish like the rest of us perhaps?

He’s not actually signed for anyone yet, should we not just wait.

8 hours ago, Shaka said:

What happened to our "boys in the know" Assuring everyone he was re-signing? Talking pish like the rest of us perhaps?

He was definitely telling people he was going to sign after the Hearts game.

A meeting with Gerrard appears to have turned his head.

19 minutes ago, steelboy said:

In the case of Turbull and Hastie it was after they got into the first team.

There are no risks to contracting a boy to the age of 20/21 rather than 19/20.

Apart from the fact you are still paying them wages. Six months ago Hastie was playing for Alloa, there were issues about his fitness level and even Craigen has stated he’s surprised at his development. He may still go on to do nothing, he’s not even close to being on the same level as Turnbull.

So paying a wage to the most talented young players in our system is a risk? That's completely stupid.

If we can afford to pay the likes of Mbulu, Petravicius, Newell and Sammon and spend serious money on social media and marketing then we can afford to sign up our best youths to serious contracts.

• Like 2

To be honest the club would do well to clarify the situation as soon as possible. If he has signed a PCA with Rangers, we’d be as well dropping him.

Two fold, players we need to give players like Frear a chance at consecutive games in a formation that finally suits his style of play. Even Cadden to an extent, can he take up that role.  See if they are worth the new contract etc. Also Jake is just gonna receive absolute venom from the stands until May from our supporters. I’m not gonna say that’s right, but the lad can’t be stupid into thinking our support is gonna somehow be happy with this decision. He hasn’t helped himself with all the media stuff where he’s said he knows this is the place to be and he wants to stay etc. Should make tomorrow’s game interesting to see what kind of reaction he gets....

So aye, if he has chosen to move elsewhere I actually think it’s the sensible move rather than the toys out the pram approach to leave him out for the remainder of the season (injuries and suspensions aside). 

I've noticed this a couple of times now. Why is Gordon suddenly in the dud bracket beside Newell etc? Last time I checked he was loaned out with the same view as Hastie but got a very bad injury and has been out 7 months. Prior to that had already contributed a couple of goals at Patrick....

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

I don't think anyone expected Hastie to make such an impact looking at his loans spells. At Airdrie he did well but not spectacular and at Alloa he was much the same. I have been shocked at his arrival and I'm sure I'm in the majority. It will be sad to see him go but someone else will take his place. One thing that should be highlighted is the commitment shown by David Turnbull I'm sure he had similar if not better. I know he isn't away but looks likely.

I have to agree about Gordon, he always popped up with a goal or two for the reserves for the midfield. got a few first team appearances, loaned to thistle for game time and scored a double on his debut and got a horrible injury that ended his season. definitely not a dud as people are saying.

21 minutes ago, superward said:

I've noticed this a couple of times now. Why is Gordon suddenly in the dud bracket beside Newell etc? Last time I checked he was loaned out with the same view as Hastie but got a very bad injury and has been out 7 months. Prior to that had already contributed a couple of goals at Patrick....

When is the last time you saw him play? He is never going to make it at Fir Park. Even last season he was behind Turnbull and Liam Brown.

I was one of the 'ones in the know', who has said he was a certainty to sign...even just listening to the boy in interviews gave that type of impression. I had it on very good authority that the lad, and his parents, felt that signing a two-year contract at Fir Park was their favoured course of action. 

What seemed to transpire though, is that, with Motherwell knowing there was interest in the player from half-a-dozen clubs, they offered him more than his current deal but less than what Turnbull and James Scott agreed to. Why would Motherwell do that, knowing that players talk to one another? Are they happy to take the development fee, for a player who has hit a purple patch over the past TWO MONTHS?  There are one or two other details of whats been going on, that lead me to believe that Motherwell don't rate him as much as some of the interested parties...I'm pretty certain our Club, know what they are doing with the player in that regard.

I'd continue to play the boy until he signs on the dotted line with another club...which he hasn't done yet.

12 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I was one of the 'ones in the know', who has said he was a certainty to sign...even just listening to the boy in interviews gave that type of impression. I had it on very good authority that the lad, and his parents, felt that signing a two-year contract at Fir Park was their favoured course of action. 

What seemed to transpire though, is that, with Motherwell knowing there was interest in the player from half-a-dozen clubs, they offered him more than his current deal but less than what Turnbull and James Scott agreed to. Why would Motherwell do that, knowing that players talk to one another? Are they happy to take the development fee, for a player who has hit a purple patch over the past TWO MONTHS?  There are one or two other details of whats been going on, that lead me to believe that Motherwell don't rate him as much as some of the interested parties...I'm pretty certain our Club, know what they are doing with the player in that regard.

I'd continue to play the boy until he signs on the dotted line with another club...which he hasn't done yet.

That is an interesting take on matters. Perhaps being bundled out of the cup in the 1st round has forced our hand. 

The other aspect about development fee is that our previous owners are technically not due a cut whereas if it was a transfer.....

It still seems v strange to me if the above is true.  Why would the club offer less to Hastie than James Scott. 

Plus the fact it is Rangers means will we see all money due ! 

If he does continue at same pace and it is a big if, he would have gone for £1-£2m whereas now we will be lucky to get £3-400k. 

All supposition and as if to add insult to injury I see he has just picked up player of the month award......

6 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

That is an interesting take on matters. Perhaps being bundled out of the cup in the 1st round has forced our hand. 

The other aspect about development fee is that our previous owners are technically not due a cut whereas if it was a transfer.....

It still seems v strange to me if the above is true.  Why would the club offer less to Hastie than James Scott. 

Plus the fact it is Rangers means will we see all money due ! 

If he does continue at same pace and it is a big if, he would have gone for £1-£2m whereas now we will be lucky to get £3-400k. 

All supposition and as if to add insult to injury I see he has just picked up player of the month award......

...because hes more highly rated, I believe

Offering Hastie less terms than Scott seems completely bizarre, of course i'm no position to judge this and those who are, are the ones offering the deals but surely Hastie is worth at the very least the same amount in wages that Scott is on, personally i'd have said more, but is Scott better rated than Hastie?

Now Ive had time to think about it, If the PCA at Ibrox is true, then it maybe does show the lad himself doesnt think he has what it takes to make it and is grabbing a buck while he can. There can be no other reason to go there! 

Rangers arent gonna offer him life changing money, maybe a couple grand more a week, but for that he gets shipped off to Accrington Stanley for a couple years before getting released and having to rebuild his career at a Partick or a Hamilton. If that is what the boy wants, he has made his bed in the pigsty, let the cunt sleep in it, and give players that want to be here a chance