The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

1 minute ago, Shaka said:

Now Ive had time to think about it, If the PCA at Ibrox is true, then it maybe does show the lad himself doesnt think he has what it takes to make it and is grabbing a buck while he can. There can be no other reason to go there! 

Rangers arent gonna offer him life changing money, maybe a couple grand more a week, but for that he gets shipped off to Accrington Stanley for a couple years before getting released and having to rebuild his career at a Partick or a Hamilton. If that is what the boy wants, he has made his bed in the pigsty, let the cunt sleep in it, and give players that want to be here a chance

A couple of grand a week IS life-changing money, if managed correctly.

I'd surmise that he'll be on £300 a week at Fir Park just now, we've probably offered to double that as hes now a 1st teamer...Rangers come along offer him a 3year deal on £3000 a week and a £50k signing on bonus. Thats a £500,000 contract and very much set up for life, if he isn't a halfwit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bert the Sailor said:

To be honest the club would do well to clarify the situation as soon as possible. If he has signed a PCA with Rangers, we’d be as well dropping him.

Two fold, players we need to give players like Frear a chance at consecutive games in a formation that finally suits his style of play. Even Cadden to an extent, can he take up that role.  See if they are worth the new contract etc. Also Jake is just gonna receive absolute venom from the stands until May from our supporters. I’m not gonna say that’s right, but the lad can’t be stupid into thinking our support is gonna somehow be happy with this decision. He hasn’t helped himself with all the media stuff where he’s said he knows this is the place to be and he wants to stay etc. Should make tomorrow’s game interesting to see what kind of reaction he gets....

So aye, if he has chosen to move elsewhere I actually think it’s the sensible move rather than the toys out the pram approach to leave him out for the remainder of the season (injuries and suspensions aside). 

Amidst all the hysteria on here, on P & B and Well fans 2 this is possibly the best and most sensible post.  As things stand we simply don't know the situation as tabloid reports may just be unfounded rumours. His agent has had plenty to say, anonymously and behind the scenes of course, so they should come out and clarify matters, if only to say there's nothing to comment upon. Failing that the club should take it upon itself to issue clarification again if only to say nothing has been decided.  The fans deserve better.   

2 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

suggestions on pie and bovril that the club don't rate Hastie as highly as we are led to believe? surely not the case? 

Hence Scott being offered more in wages

I'm just reading between the lines with my comment on P&B...from what I know (and its all 3rd and 4th hand stuff), I can't think of any other reason than we are more than happy to accept the development fee

• Like 1

According to the BBC website Stephen Robinson is quoted as saying that no decision has been made on Jake Hastie's future.  The club is giving him time to mull things over (25 minutes ago).  Credit to the club for clarifying that, providing that they themselves are in the know.  

I suspect he is off. Another player lured by the Old Firm and the money they can offer. No doubt he will be visiting Fir Park next season and scoring goals for fun in the blue of Rangers. Ah well, we move on. I would drop him for another player who will hopefully be with us next season. No point in keeping players sharp for the opposition to benefit. Thanks for the all too brief memories Jake. 

Let's be honest Hastie is an unproven player and if it wasn't for the last 2 months would anybody be bothered if he moves on? 

His recent form has shown he has potential but that needs to be realised, so he needs to decide where the best place to continue his development will be but with that also comes financial considerations, its his job so like anybody else the best wage on offer will be tempting.

So weighing up the footballing development and financial security will he be best served staying at Motherwell or moving on to Rangers, as a young player building his career I know where I would pick.

Whatever we think of the blue ugly sister if Hastie does go, he will get the chance to play with better players, more cup finals, more European games etc than he would staying at Fir Park so the best of luck to him if he does move, I think he has the potential for a good future in the game.

I think everyone just needs to wait and calm down. Given the headlines, then of course there is a very good chance that we lose him, and whilst it is disappointing, we have lost better players than Hastie before, and lets not forget, we have kept hold of Turnbull and he is the playmaker.

Also, before we all get our panties drenched, what are the chances that Rangers have offered him a contract and the tabloids automatically write it as Rangers set to sign Hastie??

Lets not judge the lad until the deal is done. Maybe there is an element of creative journalism at work here, wouldn't be the first time.... or perhaps thats just the optimist in me.

Regardless, the boy has done exceptionally well in the last two months and it will be a shame to see him go anywhere so soon.

To be honest, I think the hysteria surrounding this is perfectly normal. One of the best players we have produced in some time pissing off to the Old Firm is as depressing as it gets. IF Hastie goes he will get pelters and rightly so. The boy is quoted as saying he wants to stay and will have done a u-turn. Obviously the fans are going to be raging at that. I think if it was down south we would be slightly less depressing but the fact it's them is a boot in the balls.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

So paying a wage to the most talented young players in our system is a risk? That's completely stupid.

If we can afford to pay the likes of Mbulu, Petravicius, Newell and Sammon and spend serious money on social media and marketing then we can afford to sign up our best youths to serious contracts.

I’m not sure making mistakes with other senior players means it’s ok to make further potential mistakes with younger players. The logic there should be reduce the poor decisions with those senior players.  Giving long term contracts to any player is a risk, old or young and each one should be judged on its own merit. As previously stated by other posters many young players don’t develop and if you give everyone that shows potential a three year contract that’s going to end end up costing the club a lot of money in the long run because the majority of them won’t make a successful step up to senior level, the stats bare that out.

I'm sure Jake and his advisors have looked at where he would be in the pecking order at Ibrox as l am sure he would be behind , Kent ( if he stays) Jordan Jones( irish internationalist ) Grezda ( Internationlist) ) Candeias, Middleton . Lets bide our time and see what happens and if he goes well it opens the door for an other of our prospects 

Some of the comments on here about Hastie are ridiculous, he's a young boy who's played a few games for the first team and he's being vilified on the basis of some paper talk. There might be a lot of truth in the reports, while they might be unsubstantiated rumours - it's unknown.

If Motherwell were trying to sign a player from another team in this situation we'd all be expecting the player to drop everything and sign, and to hell with his current employers. But when the shoe's potentially on the other foot it's unacceptable?

I have no idea who Jake Hastie supports, and quite frankly I don't really care, but if he's grown up as a Rangers fan and this chance is presented to him then of course it's going to appeal to him.

Until he's either signed a new deal, or signed with another club - whoever they may be - as it stands he's done absolutely nothing to deserve some of the comments on here...

• Like 1

When you're as old as me, seeing our good players move to the OF is pretty standard.

If he goes, he goes - and we move onto the next youngster. We've secured Scott, Turnbull, Campbell, Maguire and Cadden over the past few years, so our track record isn't terrible in that regard. We've also "acquired" youngsters from other teams (like Ben Hall) who we sold on for a nice fee. So we've the used the same system to our benefit in the past.

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

I suspect he is off. Another player lured by the Old Firm and the money they can offer. No doubt he will be visiting Fir Park next season and scoring goals for fun in the blue of Rangers. Ah well, we move on. I would drop him for another player who will hopefully be with us next season. No point in keeping players sharp for the opposition to benefit. Thanks for the all too brief memories Jake. 

“Scoring goals for fun” i’m Not that convinced in truth, he’s not the hardest player to work out if you watch him.

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

“Scoring goals for fun” i’m Not that convinced in truth, he’s not the hardest player to work out if you watch him.

It was slightly tongue in cheek. If he does go to Rangers I very much doubt he will have much impact, or game time in a Gerrard team trying to prevent Celtic from doing another clean sweep. He would be better off going down south to continue his development.

1 minute ago, underboyleheating said:

It was slightly tongue in cheek. If he does go to Rangers I very much doubt he will have much impact, or game time in a Gerrard team trying to prevent Celtic from doing another clean sweep. He would be better off going down south to continue his development.

I think he'd be better off staying with us to continue his development, but aye - if he is moving - that would likely be a better choice.

I still think if Murphy gets fit over the summer he's much more likely to be a starter than Hastie. He was one of their best players until he got injured and able to play on either wing. If the stories are to be believed, Celtic were after him too. Given that Lewis Morgan is a better player right now than Hastie is - and he can't get a game for them - it shows exactly how youngsters are treated by the OF.