The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

4 hours ago, David said:

I think it's more of a case of some of us having lived through various players leave the club. Hastie leaving for Rangers is disappointing, but its hardly the end of world, even in a footballing sense.

4 hours ago, numpty said:

What makes you think it's a pretence? Some folk get upset, others don't. I can't remember the last time anything to do with football made me actually angry.

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s life, why get that upset about the potential transfer of a football player. Other things far more important looking at a bigger picture.

hipster pish

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

hipster pish

Two pieces of news for me today. My mother who still lives down in Yorkshire had a really bad seizure and Hastie might leave. Which do you think really matters the most to me in the bigger scheme of things ?

14 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Two pieces of news for me today. My mother who still lives down in Yorkshire had a really bad seizure and Hastie might leave. Which do you think really matters the most to me in the bigger scheme of things ?

I am sorry to hear that yer mother is unwell.

7 hours ago, GazzyB said:

By far and away the most sensible line in this entire thread. The hindsight from people on here who could allegedly see a guy who scored 3 goals in 50 appearances for Airdrie and fucking Alloa is next level.

Yeah I do see what You are saying Gaz, but have a different viewpoint personally. Its not all about end product in these loans, its about building experience.

I heard many reports when Hastie was at Airdrie that he was fantastic on the ball, direct, technically good etc but he had little end product. I was actually speaking to a Dundee United supporting mate who mentioned Hastie after the Utd v Alloa game in Dec saying you could see he was a level above Championship as he was technically good and looked bigger and fitter than his teammates.

Add those reports to our own U20 games and training that he will be doing, and I dont believe it would come as a shock for him to make an impact once in the first team, especially if he starts to provide more end product. Yes the level of impact is obviously above what most would have dreamed, but surely if the Manager is correct and Hastie was earmarked for promotion to the first team last summer and was first sent on loan to toughen up, then its not too much of a stretch for the club to offer him a 1 year extension last summer as insurance. As some have said, its less a Darren Smith, Marc Fitzpatrick, Dom Thomas situation, and more a Faddy,Pearo situation when it comes to perceived quality

22 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

On the Hastie/Rangers thing, I don't have a problem with the player.  I have a problem with the manager and the club who have allowed the two top players from a very good youth side to go into the last 6 months of their contracts without getting them tied up.

If Hastie had been given a contract a year ago, or 6 months ago, when everyone knew he was one of the two stand out players coming through our system, he'd have probably signed up and that would be that.

The way the club has conducted it's self over the last few years with regards to it's youth policy, it's (non existent) long term strategy of promoting youth and for giving youth players a clear path into the first team has been shamefully misguided and shambolic.

Robinson's volte-face of recent weeks doesn't cut it.  Horrendous mistakes and mismanagement have occurred under his, and his superiors, watch in this regard.

Whether Hastie stays or goes some arse's need kicked, a coherent and future proofed youth strategy needs to be put in place and the first team manager should be working under a specific remit to develop youth players within a first team context.

how do most of us not know that Hastie wasnt bang average a year ago and the club didnt feel he was worth an extension . How do most of us know that he still isnt just a bang average player. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. Everyone remember the knashing of teeth and annoyance when Robbie Leitch legged it.. someone remind me what has his career done? Hastie could be a big pile of pish in the long run, lets keep it all in perspective. If he goes we move on.

51 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

how do most of us not know that Hastie wasnt bang average a year ago and the club didnt feel he was worth an extension . How do most of us know that he still isnt just a bang average player. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. Everyone remember the knashing of teeth and annoyance when Robbie Leitch legged it.. someone remind me what has his career done? Hastie could be a big pile of pish in the long run, lets keep it all in perspective. If he goes we move on.

The guys a pro! He has a few goals and assists at lower league and smashing it in Prem.  Dont call a 19 year old pish! The fact he was annoyed at Robbo taking him off is quite promising that he may sign. If he was off to other club then why react to robbo?

2 hours ago, Shaka said:

if the Manager is correct and Hastie was earmarked for promotion to the first team last summer and was first sent on loan to toughen up

Craigan was a lot more blunt on tbe reason why he was sent out on loan to Airdrie and Alloa during the Hearts game.  

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Cos I saw him playing for the Under 20s and Hastie and Turnbull were the stand out players in a good team.  ANYONE that watches the Under 20s will tell you the same.

It's nothing to do with hindsight.  These guys have turned the season around, no one was expecting them to do this well and have the level of impact that they have but it remains a mystery as to why the two best youth prospects at the club went into the 2nd half of the season out of contract.

And the supporters that booed Hastie today need to take a long hard look at themselves.....especially as probably about half of them are fair weather guys.

• Like 1

I hadn’t read this thread for a couple of weeks so have had a fair bit of catching up to do. Fuck me, there’s some pish getting slavered.

To hear that some were booing Hastie today is an absolute joke.

He’s a 19 year old boy who would not have been prepared for and (by his own admission) never expected this level of attention. I would wager he’s not been media trained. I hope to christ he doesn’t go on this forum to read one of his own clubs fans twice calling the boy a cunt because of a speculative story in the most guttural of red tops.

True to form, there are those blaming the club for having not signed our hot talent up by now. Many of whom are the same people who blamed the club for not putting youth first. Even when they do.....apparently it’s a shambles. Even for you YaBezzer, that’s a belter. I’d love to see your stats to substantiate the claim . 

It may be lost on some that this is a critical point in a footballers career. They are leaving the Academy age groups and looking to push on, find their level and stake their claim for a short but hopefully fruitful career.

There are so many variables, why would anyone in that instance want to tie themselves to a long contract at the earliest instance?

A fans perspective is factually obscured and tainted by tribal emotions. A wee bit of objectivity goes a hell of a long way.

• Like 2

That's pretty sad if we had our own fans booing him. He has done nothing to merit that, in fact quite the opposite. He has helped pull us it of a hole and provided some much needed entertainment value. While everyone is entitled to their opinion it would be better all round, in this case, if their opinions were formed on the basis of some factual information.

It might also be worthwhile looking in the mirror and asking yourself what you would do in your work situation given a superior financial offer before jumping on someone's back for doing what you might probably do yourself. 

Let's suppose he does have an offer and he is considering his options, I would think he is more likely to stay if fans are making it obvious that he is really wanted here. I'm sure the booing will just make it even more likely that he will choose to move on. Why not make some banners and work on making him stay ?  Let him know how much we would like him to remain at Motherwell.  Show our appreciation, sing his name, applaud him. It's much harder to leave when you realise how much you are appreciated and wanted.

Whatever he does I wish him well.

6 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

That's pretty sad if we had our own fans booing him. He has done nothing to merit that, in fact quite the opposite. He has helped pull us it of a hole and provided some much needed entertainment value. While everyone is entitled to their opinion it would be better all round, in this case, if their opinions were formed on the basis of some factual information.

It might also be worthwhile looking in the mirror and asking yourself what you would do in your work situation given a superior financial offer before jumping on someone's back for doing what you might probably do yourself. 

Let's suppose he does have an offer and he is considering his options, I would think he is more likely to stay if fans are making it obvious that he is really wanted here. I'm sure the booing will just make it even more likely that he will choose to move on. Why not make some banners and work on making him stay ?  Let him know how much we would like him to remain at Motherwell.  Show our appreciation, sing his name, applaud him. It's much harder to leave when you realise how much you are appreciated and wanted.

Whatever he does I wish him well.

Have to be honest sitting in theCooper stand I did not hear any negativity towards Hastie yesterday, quite the opposite. But then i’m not getting any younger and my hearing is probably going.

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

Have to be honest sitting in theCooper stand I did not hear any negativity towards Hastie yesterday, quite the opposite. But then i’m not getting any younger and my hearing is probably going.

I was in the east stand and there were a few boos when the teams were being read out. I'm sure though there was a slight baws up with that and hastie was actually read out as number 28 and turnbull wasn't even mentioned.  (This may have been my middle aged ears playing tricks on me though) 

So I'm going to take an ultra positive view on it, that the fans who did boo were suffering from OCD and the fact that the team lines were read out wrong enraged them enough to react. 

Hastie was excellent again yesterday. The boy is going to be a top player. If he stays then great, if not then thats just football.

Few guys were saying that Crystal Palace are very interested in signing him, so I think the Rangers move might not be so clear cut.

I never heard any booing from my seat in the East Stand, albeit it is a few sections down from the Well Bois. That and when he was on the ball on the touch line nearest there were only chants of encouragement for the lad. 

It comes down to the fact if he goes to Rangers. Like it or not they are in my opinion a vile club. If he went down south it would still hurt but would make it more palatable. 

Of course he may be a Rangers fan and if I was offered 3 to 4 times money to play for Well I could imagine the pull. 

1 minute ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I never heard any booing from my seat in the East Stand, albeit it is a few sections down from the Well Bois. That and when he was on the ball on the touch line nearest there were only chants of encouragement for the lad. 

It comes down to the fact if he goes to Rangers. Like it or not they are in my opinion a vile club. If he went down south it would still hurt but would make it more palatable. 

Of course he may be a Rangers fan and if I was offered 3 to 4 times money to play for Well I could imagine the pull. 

He was booed when his name was read out in the team line up and then he was booed a second time later.

Wasn't hundreds of people but it wasn't one or two either.