The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

Think we all forget how influential Tait and how good Tait actually is at RB haven’t not seen much of that but anywhere he plays he’s consistent and rarely has a bad game. Just a classy footballer, yes with the odd fluffer but tbh Grimmy isn’t blessed technically but by god he’s got heart.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, supermarv said:

Think we all forget how influential Tait and how good Tait actually is at RB haven’t not seen much of that but anywhere he plays he’s consistent and rarely has a bad game. Just a classy footballer, yes with the odd fluffer but tbh Grimmy isn’t blessed technically but by god he’s got heart.

He's also a better LB than Graeme Shinnie. 

• Like 1

With us moving closer to the summer it will be interesting to see what players get tied up on new deals. I have a feeling that we could be seeing a fair number of players moving on and another rebuilding job similar to a couple of summers ago. Perhaps not to the same extent but similar in that a number of 'first team' players could be moving on. The post McGhee rebuild was a lot more vast but there could still be more than half our first team leaving on a free this summer.

Notable names:

Curtis Main - I would be surprised if he stayed despite Robinson being a big fan. He has done a job for us but for me he has proven himself to be not good enough in front of goal. When he came in his stats were there for all to see and he has followed that pattern since coming in despite a purple patch initially. I think he will want to go back down south, just a hunch.

Carl McHugh - I've been a fan of McHugh, hard wrap in my book but with him following out of favour I think he will be offski. He is still a good age and will want to be an established starter.

Chris Cadden - A difficult one. I'm really not sure what suitors Cadden would have down south now.  Hope Chris stays, would be great to see him back playing as an actual winger. The whole wingback thing really set him back IMO.

Tom Aldred - Would love to keep Tom, the no nonsense defender we need. I have heard suggestions that he is on 4k a week at Bury however so it might be difficult for us to compete with other suitors.

Jake Hastie - As sad as it makes me I think the boy is going to be away. Would really be gutted if he didnt stay for another year.

Alex Rodriguez Gorrin - I'm hopeful Alex will sign up, he has shown his worth the last few months and could really kick on with another season under his belt.

Elliot Frear - A lot of unfair critics of the guy and I think he has some talent but I'd honestly rather we moved him on and looked at other options. Physically he is lacking to compete regularly in the SPFL IMO

Craig Tanner - So unlucky with injuries and clearly talented if a bit too slow for my liking. No doubt an unpopular opinion but I would let him move on.  His injury record is problematic for me and I'd have genuine concerns whether we would ever see a return on our investment.

My thoughts:

Main - unless we've someone lined up I'd want to keep. As poor as his goal return has been, he does some great work that we'd struggle to replace. We're weak for options up top, so unless we think Scott is going to make a breakthrough next season we need something. Even then we'd need someone else in.

McHugh - Not a player who will want to sit on the bench, so thanks for the service but happy to move on.

Cadden - would love to see him stay but could see a team in England fancying a punt on him.

Aldred - would love to keep. Should be a priority.

Hastie - offers there, all up to him. Just hope he wants to play regular football.

Gorrin - keep.

Frear - flashes of brilliance but agree that he's not got the physicality to perform consistently. Happy to move on.

Tanner - would expect he'll be offered a years extension, and deserves that opportunity IMO.

Adding in:

Arriyibi - keep if possible! Love to watch this guy.

Mbulu - was signs of a player there. Interested to see how he develops if his injury wasn't too damning. 

Donnelly - (is his contract up?). Jury is out for me. We've a few centre halves of his standing who I'd play ahead of him. Unsure.

ATS, Newell, bigi, Gordon - surely will be away....? Maybe harsh on Gordon, been unlucky with injuries I guess?

I wonder how much of a role semple will play (providing he is offered and signs) a new deal. Obviously been given much more responsibility with the reserves, captaining them infront of much more experienced players. I take it he could benefit from a loan out similar to hastie?

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with recent posts about the squad overhaul in the summer.  Add to those names those of Conor Sammon, whose loan will be ending and perhaps those of Peter Hartley and Danny Johnson.  Hartley isn't getting a game and isn't getting any younger.  Johnson doesn't seem to fit Robbo's curent formation. So, a pretty substantial overhaul is in prospect.  We can also add to the above lists possible departures of Cadden, Hastie and Turnbull.  At the very least we're going to need some new strikers and maybe, just maybe some new midfielders. Time will tell. Hopefully Gorrin will sign a new deal to give us some stability. 

19 hours ago, mfc88 said:

ATS, Newell, bigi, Gordon - surely will be away....? Maybe harsh on Gordon, been unlucky with injuries I guess?

ATS and as mentioned Bigi are gone, Bigi was an actual transfer and ATS was told not to come back basically.

21 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Hastie agreed terms with sevco. On news today. Pretty disapointing and poor contract not sorted while at Alloa or before.

As long as we are compensated handsomely I have no problem with Hastie taking  Sevco deal, according to reports he has been offered £14,000 /week which we certainly could not even come close to match and is a no brainer for Hastie, especially for playing reserve games!!!

3 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

As long as we are compensated handsomely I have no problem with Hastie taking  Sevco deal, according to reports he has been offered £14,000 /week which we certainly could not even come close to match and is a no brainer for Hastie, especially for playing reserve games!!!

Still compensation may well be a fraction of what sevco could earn on sell on clause if he continues to impress.  I do understand money difference. Club still left it far too late. Must now identify someone of equal ability to come in for that role in team. MCkinstray would have been ideal but hes off too.

1 hour ago, robsterwood said:

Hastie agreed terms with sevco. On news today. Pretty disapointing and poor contract not sorted while at Alloa or before.

How do we make them sign?

People keep saying we "should have sorted it", but I have seen zero suggestions on how we could have made him put pen to paper.  We secured Turnbull, Scott and Maguire, and already held on to Campbell and Cadden in prior years. If there is a way to secure 100% of academy players on longer term deals, I'm sure every club would love to know the secret.

Hope they gave him a season ticket with a decent view so he pick up some tips from Jamie Murphy :ph34r: