The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

15 minutes ago, The African said:

Ido think that anyone who thinks that a move to MLS shows a lack of ambition is living in the past. It isa global game with options now available worldwide. The fact is that America is now an interesting and not unattractive option for any young player who fancies a fresh challenge, and if the money is good, even better.

I understand that from a lifestyle and financial perspective, it is an attractive move and can totally understand an individual making that choice. I'm afraid I don't see the sporting merits of such a move. And I say that as someone who enjoys watching all standards of football. I must do, Motherwell can produce the full range in one season...

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Atlanta are the Dundee of the MLS Eastern Conference. 

At least two big differences off the top of my head.

Attendances of over 50.000 and Atlanta win Championships. Admittedly towards the bottom now after four games, but do you think they will remain there?

Think they now have Frank  De Boer as their new Manager

3 minutes ago, dennyc said:

At least two big differences off the top of my head.

Attendances of over 50.000 and Altlanta win Championships.

Think they now have Frank  De Boer as their new Manager

It's the MLS, though. It's all Conferences, play-offs and expansion franchises and salary caps - all engineered to try and maintain parity and give every team an equal chance of winning. 

I'd never tell a young player not to take a shot abroad, though, but not sure that would be his best move. 

And I think development fees are FIFA regulated - so we'd probably still be compensated.

The quality of player in the MLS is improving every year. South and Central Americans see it as a route to Europe so the technical ability within the teams is of a good quality. Certainly higher than here.  If, and it is an IF, Hastie does go there for a few years then he will have a great opportunity to develop further amongst quality players whilst enjoying a great lifestyle.  He is young enough to return to the UK in a few years, financially secure and with the liklihood of joining a decent side. If he does well, who knows where he could end up?  Newcastle's recent record signing came from Atlanta and has fitted in well to the EPL despite playing for a struggling team.

It is too good an opportunity to miss. And it's not Rangers.

10 hours ago, dennyc said:

Atlanta. Free to say now as revealed elsewhere. Seems a huge step to me, but that is what I was told

Funnily enough, I was told on Sunday that he was going to Atlanta and then being loaned back to Aberdeen. I completely disregarded the Atlanta bit and assumed that he was signing for Aberdeen outright.

I would hope Hastie would see sense and sign a new deal.   Has went off boil a little recently but that was to be expected as teams become familiar with his style of play.   I feel he should stay and learn his trade and become a better player.   However money talks unfortunately but here's hoping he stays and Cadden also signs a new deal.    If we can't keep Aribyi then Hastoe on Left and Cadds on right could be a great combination.  

I’d say that if he’s going off the boil it’s even more reason to sign a big deal somewhere ASAP or the chance may not come round again.

The Atlanta one is weird, but it would be a great move for him personally. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's the MLS, though. It's all Conferences, play-offs and expansion franchises and salary caps - all engineered to try and maintain parity and give every team an equal chance of winning. 

Still doesn't mean they're Dundee by any stretch. We're hardly talking Montreal Impact or Philadelphia Union here, are we? 

Atlanta reached the playoffs in their first season, then won the thing in their second. They also play to large crowds in what looks like a top class stadium. 

Any player from Europe could go there and spend an entire career in that league, coming out the other end of it with a very decent bank balance and having lived somewhere that isn't a bad place to be when you've got cash in your pocket.

For me it would be far more attractive than buggering off to the English Championship or League One.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Still doesn't mean they're Dundee by any stretch. We're hardly talking Montreal Impact or Philadelphia Union here, are we? 

Atlanta reached the playoffs in their first season, then won the thing in their second. They also play to large crowds in what looks like a top class stadium. 

Any player from Europe could go there and spend an entire career in that league, coming out the other end of it with a very decent bank balance and having lived somewhere that isn't a bad place to be when you've got cash in your pocket.

For me it would be far more attractive than buggering off to the English Championship or League One.

I would favour a move to the MLS much more than any championship team I reckon, purely from a lifestyle point of view. some of these cities look proper grim places to live, regardless of how much money you have. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

I would favour a move to the MLS much more than any championship team I reckon, purely from a lifestyle point of view. some of these cities look proper grim places to live, regardless of how much money you have. 

Can't understand at all why Hastie would rather live in LA or Atlanta when he could be living the high life in Doncaster or Blackburn.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I suppose it depends on how the management rate Rohan Ferguson. Don't know much about him at all.

Even if they see him as a worthy replacement, a backup would still be handy.

Just now, robsterwood said:

Unless he stays we are mediocre and will win nothing next season.

We've been mediocre and won nothing in pretty much every one of the 40-odd seasons I've witnessed. If that was all that mattered, I'd have given up long ago.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Main interest now is for Hastie to stay. Unless he stays we are mediocre and will win nothing next season.

We've lost better players than Hastie and improved the following season. 

45 minutes ago, numpty said:

We've been mediocre and won nothing in pretty much every one of the 40-odd seasons I've witnessed. If that was all that mattered, I'd have given up long ago.

Very true. Ive been there 40 seasons too. Should know better. Just want more than that.

7 hours ago, robsterwood said:

True. Just fed up loosing exciting players season after seadon. The life of well fan i suppose. Just want these prospects on longer contracts.

Without getting into the length of contract debate again, it is still heartening that we now have a number of young exciting players coming through and being given opportunity to prove themselves.

The frustration around the lack of youth development has been a recurring theme  on here for some time.

Hopefully the rather meaningless end to the season will give increased opportunity for those knocking at the door 

11 hours ago, 1991 said:

I wonder if we might see an emergency keeper signed  as PJ Morrison out on loan

Whilst I admit I haven't seen Ferguson play, would any goalkeeper available as a free agent be an upgrade? And how fit/sharp would any goalkeeper be?