The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Could they afford him??

Let's not be kidded here... other teams failed in a bid to land one of their latest recruits as he's on a six figure per annum salary! I'm comfortable with our sensible approach. Their budget last year was top 6 Premier League and secured investment to fund another promotion tilt that sounds as if it has similar foundations - quicksand. 

• Like 2

I don't where Dundee Utd are getting the money to make these offers. Their parachute payments have run out, their main source of funding pulled the plug and the auditor last year talked about a "material uncertainty which may cast significant doubt about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern, and therefore its ability to realise its assets and discharge its liabilities in the normal course of business.”

They made a loss of £1.55 million in 2016, a further loss of £1 million in 2017. Oh, and they are still in the Championship.

It can't all be funded from Andy Robertson's sell on clause.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I don't where Dundee Utd are getting the money to make these offers. Their parachute payments have run out, their main source of funding pulled the plug and the auditor last year talked about a "material uncertainty which may cast significant doubt about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern, and therefore its ability to realise its assets and discharge its liabilities in the normal course of business.”

They made a loss of £1.55 million in 2016, a further loss of £1 million in 2017. Oh, and they are still in the Championship.

Totally agree, hence, I am comfortable with our clubs' approach.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:10 PM, DEWELL said:

Ali Crawford would do for me. Cifti and Watt. Naw.

Players that have played at and beyond our level: no.

Player that will never reach our level: yes.

Okay.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

His sell on fee will probably go to pay off previous "investors" as has happened with their earlier big transfer fees. I'm happy with our approach to squad building and its worked quite well.

A wise decision and one that should be applauded. That said one wonders if it may have been made for him had he not done so himself. 

A fully firing McHugh back to his early from would be  permanent fixture in midfield, but not necessarily based on some of his form towards end of season.  

Time will tell whether it will work but I am fairly certain that Hartley will be much more vocal during games.  You don’t always need to shout and bawl but I felt his character was a bit reserved / quiet for the Captains role. 

23 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Was that what caused him to miss a fair chunk of last season. A pity if so, he's a cracking wee player.

If it was, playing and training on grass instead of plastic should help.

The news about the captaincy was fairly inevitable but McHugh and Robinson have dealt with it in the best fashion possible. It will be interesting to see how significant a role McHugh has to play this season. 

Regarding our pursuit of a forward, is there any possibility we could be in for Jai Quitongo? Out of contract at Morton but I assume compensation will be a barrier. 

I'm sure there is a degree of self awareness about him, he doesn't exist in a vacuum and knows himself his form dropped and despite what Robinson said (I guess for face saving) he did get extra minutes on the park than his form demanded.

As conveyed if he didn't jump he may have been pushed. This way the club and McHugh come out of it smelling of roses. I'm sure our polished and savvy media department managed this very well.

I've always favoured a defender as a captain as they tend to be facing the action for more of the game. No doubt Harley has the presence and charisma to carry the rest of the team with him.

With respect to the summer business. I know we still are 6-7 weeks away from the door closing but it's been a tad underwhelming for me so far. Maybe the players we have brought in will be revelations or the youth players promoted have something about them. I also appreciate Robinson has form of sourcing and bringing in unknowns and by an large more success' that disappointments. I appreciate signings may be dependant on some of our team leaving for pastures new and until that happens, then interest has cooled.

12 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Regarding our pursuit of a forward, is there any possibility we could be in for Jai Quitongo? Out of contract at Morton but I assume compensation will be a barrier. 

Think he’s a good player but I’ve a niggling doubt over him as I heard he was released by Hamilton for what was rumoured to be his attitude - maybe time in the 1st division has changed that . Morton fan at work rates him. 

Although ive not seen his, his brother is also supposed to be a good player and is still at Hamilton is he not? 

10 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

I'd say the overwhelming barrier to me would be that he's not good enough.

Scores a worldy once a season, but little else aside. He can't nail down a starting position, or stay fit, at a level below us, so I'd say asking him to do both at a higher level would be a struggle.

12 hours ago, stuwell said:

Think he’s a good player but I’ve a niggling doubt over him as I heard he was released by Hamilton for what was rumoured to be his attitude - maybe time in the 1st division has changed that . Morton fan at work rates him. 

Although ive not seen his, his brother is also supposed to be a good player and is still at Hamilton is he not? 

Currently on trial at livi and his brother is playing with hearts. 

• Thanks 1