The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

This is hardly news, I can't remember the last time we weren't looking to shift people out before we could afford to bring any in. Good to know he still considers "having to put more footballers in the team" to be a bad thing, though.

Based on the squads we have put out recently, the style of play/formations and the managers comments my guess is that the outgoings would be bigi and frear, and possibly Sammon if that’s a thing we can do.
If I was bigi I’d be banging down the door to get a move since he’s apparently the go to scapegoat for our losses.

I’d be curious to see if our loanees come back into the fold, and if we’ll loan out some more of the reserves in prep for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"We've had to tweak things, we haven't been quite as physical, we haven't had people that were rattling about, we have had to put more footballers in the team due to injuries and circumstances.

That's embarrassing from our manager. I don't think anyone but him was watching Grimshaw continually kick the ball out the park on Saturday thinking we had too many footballers.

The sooner we are shot of him the better.

• Like 1

At the same time there is an article about how much Robinson wants Turnbull (a footballer) to sign a new deal. Turnbull must really love the club, as there is no other reason an actual ball playing midfielder would want to stay.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Based on the squads we have put out recently, the style of play/formations and the managers comments my guess is that the outgoings would be bigi and frear, and possibly Sammon if that’s a thing we can do.
If I was bigi I’d be banging down the door to get a move since he’s apparently the go to scapegoat for our losses.

I’d be curious to see if our loanees come back into the fold, and if we’ll loan out some more of the reserves in prep for next season.

Bigi has already been made the fall guy this season and after robinsons comments after the livi game,i wouldn't be surprised if he's in for another spell on the bench.for a manager too say he's had to put to many footballers into the team is a ridiculous comment to make,that along with the back to the basics pish that we keep hearing.i hope we get shot of him sooner rather than later.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:17 PM, mfc said:

Bigi has already been made the fall guy this season and after robinsons comments after the livi game,i wouldn't be surprised if he's in for another spell on the bench.for a manager too say he's had to put to many footballers into the team is a ridiculous comment to make,that along with the back to the basics pish that we keep hearing.i hope we get shot of him sooner rather than later.

Football is also about tracking runners, you can be silky and work hard, they aren't mutually exclusive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfc said:

Have you watched Bigi in some of the highlights after poor defeats ? 

"We've had to tweak things, we haven't been quite as physical, we haven't had people that were rattling about, we have had to put more footballers in the team due to injuries and circumstances."

Awful words, I'm shocked at that tbh. Why would you even come out with that? Especially since the best "footballer" in the team that hes thrown in, Turnbull, has saved his job. And again on Saturday, he refers to having to play Maguire as a bad thing - he was one of our better players ffs!! It's HIS signings that are letting us down, and that's been the case all season.

Disappointing to read that. I hope its mis-quoted or we're misinterpreting it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Have you watched Bigi in some of the highlights after poor defeats ? 

Ive seen him plenty of times live this season and i would rather have him in the team,than us resorting back too having the likes of mchugh back in midfield but giving robinsons back to basics comment,you can be sure thats what's going too happen.

The manager likes a big, strong and hard running team. It's not a surprise to see comments along those lines...albeit not best put the way they were. 

I do think the mix wasn't right on Saturday  for facing a team like Livi mind you. So whilst I disagree with the takeaway headline of 'footballers' I do think there is an element of truth in there....up to the manager to find the right balance as there is no need to go the extreme hoof ball or search for the extreme total football. 

5 minutes ago, superward said:

The manager likes a big, strong and hard running team. It's not a surprise to see comments along those lines...albeit not best put the way they were. 

I do think the mix wasn't right on Saturday  for facing a team like Livi mind you. So whilst I disagree with the takeaway headline of 'footballers' I do think there is an element of truth in there....up to the manager to find the right balance as there is no need to go the extreme hoof ball or search for the extreme total football. 

Very fair comment I guess I am just getting fed up with his excuses and inability to find the balance. 

1 hour ago, superward said:

Robinson has pretty much made it clear from the start his teams play as you say “ big strong and hard running” football and that was never going to change. He tolerates ball players as long as they also do the dirty stuff which everyone needs to do if his type of football is to be effective. All our big performances have been when everyone has worked there socks off. As soon as that drops we look awful and sadly when a player like Bigi stops tracking back or loses his man he is done and that’s happened far too often this season.  I don’t think that’s  using Bigi as a scapegoat, that’s just him not doing his job. As posted elsewhere he can do both as many simular midfielders do. All our midfielders have been dropped at one time or another.

• Like 1

. 'All our big performances have been when everyone has worked there socks off. As soon as that drops we look awful '

This is my biggest concern, I mentioned it last season. The amount of effort the players have to put in to win with this style of football is simply not sustainable. Hence a lot of injuries and our inability to 'kick on' after the occassional big performance. They are spent physically and mentally.

I'm desperate for Robbo to succeed and was cheered by the change of emphasis recently, but these comments worry the hell out of me. Really disappointing, just hope it is a misquote.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

. 'All our big performances have been when everyone has worked there socks off. As soon as that drops we look awful '

This is my biggest concern, I mentioned it last season. The amount of effort the players have to put in to win with this style of football is simply not sustainable. Hence a lot of injuries and our inability to 'kick on' after the occassional big performance. They are spent physically and mentally.

I'm desperate for Robbo to succeed and was cheered by the change of emphasis recently, but these comments worry the hell out of me. Really disappointing, just hope it is a misquote.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

That’s it in a nutshell for me.

Something doesn’t feel right about the whole season and hasn’t done since as early as the summer recruitment unfolded and the early defeat to Accies put the lid on it for me. God help us if St Mirren and Dundee somehow get their act together, but hey, profit margins are up, eh?!?!

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Robinson has pretty much made it clear from the start his teams play as you say “ big strong and hard running” football and that was never going to change. He tolerates ball players as long as they also do the dirty stuff which everyone needs to do if his type of football is to be effective. All our big performances have been when everyone has worked there socks off. As soon as that drops we look awful and sadly when a player like Bigi stops tracking back or loses his man he is done and that’s happened far too often this season.  I don’t think that’s  using Bigi as a scapegoat, that’s just him not doing his job. As posted elsewhere he can do both as many simular midfielders do. All our midfielders have been dropped at one time or another.

every single one of 'Robinsons' type of footballer in our 1st choice squad,  has fucked up as many times or more often than those like Bigi who are recognised to be able to look up and direct a pass to a team mate.

Robinson might not have 'meant' to deliver that message in the interview, it's easy for a journo to lift quotes, but the message and tone is coming out over and over again, from diffferent channels.

he is clearly coming up short in many areas of management, its difficult to tell if its his ego or a blind faith in his own limited ability thats is tripping him up. I trust the club are supporting him and steering the expectation and message that should be getting out, yet "too many footballers" and "clear out duds" , "dont deserve to play football" is the messsage being broadcast, and met with derision.

great guy etc, but he has been given resources he shouldn't have expected, when he signed on. and moved things backwards

we have plenty of players that can play football and work hard , the crazy talk about re-inventing players as wing backs ,right backs, classy midfielders etc is probably the most painful along with a failing formation setup that nearly every manager in the league can counter and topple with their own decisions.

The only entertainment and points gathered that Ive witnessed this season , is when we played with a couple of footballers in the middle and/or in a 4-4-2 , Livvy, Paisley and Dundee, I missed the Rangers game , seems like that day was when the work rate delivered , sadly the passion/drive in other games doesnt seem to be getting shown. EDIT: nearly forgot the Aberdeen game, wow, that day it worked, Mcinnes showed his own naivety and disrespect and thought he could roll us over, he went with 4 up top , absolutely suited us to a T,  no other manager is gonna do that , doubtfull if even Rodgers or the scouser will do it

seems to me the players are just not working  at 100% , argue all you want about that the fault lies with them, then reflect on what they are being asked to do , over and over again,

even guys like Tait are completely downtrodden,  Bigi a guy that 100% lives his entire life by his faith is getting told he's the failure, for mistakes at drills he's clearly not strong at, Cadden &  Campbell going backwards, even the nonsense of berating Bowman for celebrating a goal,  even his own signings have 'sensationally' failed youve got to wonder their mindset to the manager they committed to?

I still think the basics are there for a decent finish, but its been brutal far too often and just when a wee bit of hope is delivered, the manager rolls out the insanity card, going back to what has failed over and over again

Robbo has his faults for sure, but so do we all and all Managers for that matter. 

You look at what Killie have done under Clark. It has been quite frankly sensational but yet according to recent article they pay their players on average 30% more in wages or at least basic wages. 

An average salary of £47k does not buy you many quality footballers. In fact almost every player we bring is a gamble. Some of which have paid off and handsomely - Moult, Johnson and Kipre. 

We have the lowest wages apart from Livingston, St Mirren and Hamilton. Finishing above them or above 3 teams is where our budget suggests we should be and actually exactly where we are right now. 

I am not saying we should stick with Robinson come what may, but I see all this criticism and I am not sure it is warranted nor am I sure we could find a replacement who could achieve a hell of a lot more with a similar budget.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Robbo has his faults for sure, but so do we all and all Managers for that matter. 

You look at what Killie have done under Clark. It has been quite frankly sensational but yet according to recent article they pay their players on average 30% more in wages or at least basic wages. 

An average salary of £47k does not buy you many quality footballers. In fact almost every player we bring is a gamble. Some of which have paid off and handsomely - Moult, Johnson and Kipre. 

We have the lowest wages apart from Livingston, St Mirren and Hamilton. Finishing above them or above 3 teams is where our budget suggests we should be and actually exactly where we are right now. 

I am not saying we should stick with Robinson come what may, but I see all this criticism and I am not sure it is warranted nor am I sure we could find a replacement who could achieve a hell of a lot more with a similar budget.  

And that’s it in a nutshell, it’s easy for the likes of Rodgers and Gerrard to look good with their budgets, not so easy paying wages most league one teams in England can beat. 

12 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Absolutely.  Whilst the headlines might be off putting I can't really disagree with much that he's said and am surprised at the reaction on here.  The only thing I'd take issue with though is his statement that he was forced to play footballers.  As I said on the weekend's matchday thread he did have other options, but as far as I can tell chose not to use them.   Now I like open expansive football on the deck as much as the next fan, but on our budget there are limits.  To allow the "footballers" to play their game you have to be physical enough to compete and win the ball first.  Its difficult to play exciting football if you don't have the ball.  On Saturday, Livingston, not us, dictated how the game would be played.  Not surprisingly they chose to play to their strengths.  Make no mistake the best teams are physically hard and robust when they need to be i.e. to gain possession.  My only concern is one which Clackscat raised above and one which I hadn't thought of before. To play a high pressing and physical game, as Robbo, promotes, it does put the players under a lot of physical strain and maybe that isn't sustainable.  We should watch Livingston with interest to see if they crack.

As far as Bigi is concerned you're spot on.  He's not the sole reason we're doing poorly this season but he is one of a good number of players who are either not good enough or are off form.   Seeing as his name has been raised specifcally though he is in the team to provide creativity and to be blunt has been very inconsistent  in that role (no player plays well every week).  When we're on top he plays well but when we're not he is anonymous.  Last Saturday for example, the type of game didn't suit him, nor did the pitch, but he did have several opportunities in the first 45 to provide a spark or create opening but he didn't or couldn't.  Defensively he's always been weak (tracking back and losing his man) and thats a consistent feature of his game ie against Aberdeen and again last weekend.  Now the question then arises is his attacking prowess so good that we should build a midfield around him and select players to specifically compensate for his deficiencies?   I just don't think so.   In short if he's picked to play he might create attacking opportunities once every 2/3/4 weeks but he'll cause defensive problems every week.  

Robbo also made comments about changing the squad in January and having to move players on to bring some in.  As there's very few of Mark McGhee's signings now left, that to me is an admission that he's got it a bit wrong so far, both in terms of last summer's signings and those before that.  I suppose an obvious one is Conor Sammon, although in his case it may be possible to terminate his loan prematurely. Hopefully budgets will allow us to recall Jake Hastie from Alloa to give him an overdue chance.

David Turnbull is an interesting one.  One or two had concerns about the club saying we were "hopeful" of extending his deal.   Robbo has now clarified that by saying the lad himself is keen to stay but his agents are not persuaded; so the question is what influence does he have over his agents?  Interesing too that our fans divided over him.  Some want him to stay others want him to leave.  For my part I think he he ought to give it another year or perhaps two at the most as he's still only 19.  He should look to the likes of Lee Erwin, Robbie Leitch, and Alan Martin to see where they ended up.