The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

The club is in a no win situation, no one knows for sure if Hastie will carry on improving, its very, very early days and he’s had a few decent games since returning from his loan move.  No club our size is going to retain every player, we’ve done pretty well overal. I think it’s frankly unfair to have a go at the club on this one and we might do well to remember that he could still sign. All this is, is paper talk, let’s wait and see before we make judgements.
Absolutely....it strikes me that exciting as Jake is, (and I watched him also in the reserves), he has been something new for opposition to contend with. Now he has had exposure our opponents will no doubt be working on ways of nullifying him as Celtic and Killie did to a large extent. The acid test for him is coping with that greater exposure and opposition attention. Then we will know if we truly do have a star in the making.

As others have said the clubs record re young players shows far more rights than wrongs. IF we have got this wrong and Jake does move on for a development fee only, then sobeit, I certainly won't be critical towards those entrusted with these calls. Life (and football) ain't a game of perfect

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

And that is exactly how Kilmarnock and Celtic nullified him.

Answer could be more time on the left wing.

Or spending more time playing in the first team and gaining experience on how to deal with defenders doubling up on him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

Or spending more time playing in the first team and gaining experience on how to deal with defenders doubling up on him.

Yep, it’s very early days, when I started watching Motherwell Dom Thomas had just broken into the first team, looked a real talent. That’s why I have sympathy with the club regarding contracts, they have to be careful not to get too carried away too early.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Yep, it’s very early days, when I started watching Motherwell Dom Thomas had just broken into the first team, looked a real talent. That’s why I have sympathy with the club regarding contracts, they have to be careful not to get too carried away too early.

Agreed Yorky.  I'd been going to Fir Park for decades and, initially from what I saw of him, I'd rate him as being potentially one of our most talented youngsters in perhaps 30 years, if not more.  If it had been up to me I'd have given him  a 4 year contract without hesitation.  However, I began to have doubts when, much to the annoyance of quite a few fans, managers seemed reluctant to give him game time.   When he was given game time he looked fantastic but with little or no end product.  Thats why I'm not a football manager or coach.

I can recall during the dark days of administration Terry Butcher addressed a meeting of fans at Fir Park and was taking "polite" pelters, as you would with him, about why he preferred Paul Quinn to a seemingly far better and much more talented Willie Kinninburgh.  He replied that Quinn would go much further in the game than Kinninburgh and whilst Coach never hit the heights, big Terry was proved right.  

So, don't judge the club too harshly. Assessing young players is very difficult and there's much more to it than just possessing talent.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Surprisingly only for 1 year.

I've heard from a few different people that length of contract for all the youngsters has been the most difficult part of the negotiation (with the the club wanting longer deals and the players wanting shorter ones).

1 minute ago, mfc said:

Hastie is off to rangers according to tomorrow's sun.

Yip just saw that. Ridiculous move for the boy. And if true, I hope the cunt does not play another second for us,first team or reserves, this season, before he heads off to pick up his big paycheque and fade into obscurity

A lot of gullible people on these threads.

At the end of the day money talks. 

He has probably been offered anything up to 5+ times the money we have offered him. 

I understand the argument that no one knew the impact he was going to have, but I still feel we left it far too late and would it have been such a gamble to give him a 1 or 2 year contract earlier in the year. 

If this one goes ahead then I hope the club have learned a valuable lesson. 

I am not bitter but if this move is all but done I am firmly in the play someone else camp until the end of the season. Not in the huff but unless it affects our compensation payment time to move on......

• Like 1

This could have a similar effect on his career as Slane to Celtic. 

Pretty gutted about this news tbh. Not sure what chances he will have as they will have an abundance of wide players. Jones, Kent, Grezda, Middleton.

Probably follow the Docherty route with a loan to lower leagues in England. 

I understand the financial aspect but with his earlier comments about staying this would stick in the craw. 

3 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

This could have a similar effect on his career as Slane to Celtic. 

Pretty gutted about this news tbh. Not sure what chances he will have as they will have an abundance of wide players. Jones, Kent, Grezda, Middleton.

Probably follow the Docherty route with a loan to lower leagues in England. 

I understand the financial aspect but with his earlier comments about staying this would stick in the craw. 

Badly advised and will now fade into obscurity. But will make a decent wedge for 2 or 3 years. Middleton is twice the player Hastie is, Kent is light years ahead of him, they have signed Jordan Jones, then there is Grezda, Candeias, Murphy all still there. Career suicide, but his agent will be hapoy

Getting compensation out of sevco,might not be straight forward either,you just know they cunts will try and take the piss and offer too pay it off over the next 10 years.if he is indeed signing for them,then I hope we tell him not to set foot inside fir park for the rest of the season.

Pity if he’s off - paper only say Rangers are close to signing him - but I think he will get s game with Rangers. Kent loan deal ends so he should replace him. 

As for not playing for us again that’s stupid. His goals could be the difference between 1 or 2 league places. 

I suspect he is a lot more grounded than Slane. 

I also suspect if he has what it takes he will make it regardless of his next move. 

I don’t blame the lad if this is true and again I feel we have made a mess of not offering him a contact earlier whatever anyone says. 

Would I still play him. On current form hard to leave out, but I fear the fans may not take too it well...

I would never boo him or anything like that, but nor would I be too unhappy if he was left out.

still speculation of course but no smoke without fire as the saying goes.

Ah well. We still got exciting winger Mckinstray.. ahh no hes off to Leeds!

Still say club at fault on this for not sorting contract earlier. Apathy now for rest of season.

Pretty poor all round.  Loosing most promising players. He could end up making them fairly big sell on fee when he moves on to bigger club. 

Knew from time taken he was off. 

Maybe get a guy from conference in now to replace him.

When did we make our first offer to extend?

Still have no idea how you make them sign, but if anyone knows they should let the board know.

(We've also acquired youngsters from other clubs in the past, so hasn't been all one way).