The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

13 minutes ago, ScottW1886 said:

Some of the comments on here about Hastie are ridiculous, he's a young boy who's played a few games for the first team and he's being vilified on the basis of some paper talk. There might be a lot of truth in the reports, while they might be unsubstantiated rumours - it's unknown.

If Motherwell were trying to sign a player from another team in this situation we'd all be expecting the player to drop everything and sign, and to hell with his current employers. But when the shoe's potentially on the other foot it's unacceptable?

I have no idea who Jake Hastie supports, and quite frankly I don't really care, but if he's grown up as a Rangers fan and this chance is presented to him then of course it's going to appeal to him.

Until he's either signed a new deal, or signed with another club - whoever they may be - as it stands he's done absolutely nothing to deserve some of the comments on here...

I agree with the final paragraph. 

I don’t blame Hastie if he decides to leave. He appears to have a multitude of options after a purple patch and most if not all will offer more money and security. 

Even if he does decide to go as looks likely he does not deserve any vitriol. It would be disappointing as we have nurtured him over the past 10 years.  It is not bitterness but I simply would not play him. Play players that are coming through or in with a chance of being here next year. That in my humble opinion is more sensible option than what may end up being a bitter experience for both club and player. 

I have seen Robinson’s comments. So either the Sun has jumped the gun or someone is not telling him the whole truth. God knows which is true. Fun and games. 

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m not sure making mistakes with other senior players means it’s ok to make further potential mistakes with younger players. The logic there should be reduce the poor decisions with those senior players.  Giving long term contracts to any player is a risk, old or young and each one should be judged on its own merit. As previously stated by other posters many young players don’t develop and if you give everyone that shows potential a three year contract that’s going to end end up costing the club a lot of money in the long run because the majority of them won’t make a successful step up to senior level, the stats bare that out. 

If developing young players is a big part of our model then we should always have 20 and 21 year olds on the books.

I've seen people citing Dom Thomas and Luke Watt but so what.  It's as stupid as saying no more loans because of Connor Sammon or no more young English players because of Newell. There are always going to be more who fail than make it, that's the nature of the process. We sign plenty of total duds from outside the club to contracts, it's not the end of the world if youth development ends up with the players going to the lower leagues.

TBF, I don't see any vitriol on here. Mostly just folk who have seen promising youngsters disappear off the radar through lack of opportunity or lack talent their early showings promised. In recent times, Craig Moore, Bob McHugh, Lee Erwin, Dylan Mackin and Dom Thomas were the "ones for the future" - most of whom ended up as sold lower league players. 

When wee Tommy was the gaffer, Paul Tracey was the next big thing, making his debut as teenager.  

The reality is, almost none of the promising youngsters ever make it, so it's a risk for everyone involved, and tough decisions have to be made by the clubs in investing in the players and by the players trying to make the most of their careers.

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Dropping him means playing Elliot Frear who won't be here next season either.

We still have a chance of Top Six so i'd play him tomorrow and if he plays well keep him in the team until that's sorted.

You'd play Frear and Aryibi together on the left wing?

If he goes and at the moment and it's a big if,  I wonder if Jake  is not so confident of making the big time and wants to cash in before he is found out. I am not as sure of him as others  on here.  He needs to show  he can repeat his four or five game run over a longer period and perform  when opponents have  seemingly  worked him  out. Time will tell if he is a Stephen Pearson or a Dom Thomas. For me Turnbull is the real future star and he can be confident that the big offers will follow  in two years  time. For Jake I don't think the future is quite as clear and you can't blame him if he cashes  in now when his star is high. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Grew said:

I think the silence from FP speaks volumes on this.

Robinson literally said nothing was signed and he hopes to keep him this morning.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Well if he hasn't made up his mind and gets pelters from fans tomorrow then hee haw chance of him signing a new deal.   Lets cut the lad some slack for heavens sake.   

COYW!!!!!

There are 2 choices here and MFC should be supporting Hastie's development in either scenario!

Either he signs a new Deal, stays in our first team and continues to develop to a point where he goes down south for a good transfer fee and a far higher wage in a year or so, or he signs his PCA with them and we can prepare him for life at Ibrox by having him sit in the stand for the next 3 months, nowhere near the first team!

• Like 2

Tell you what, if half the shite I've read on here is accurate then we've dodged a bullet by not offering him a contract. Seems he's destined to go to Rangers and fade into obscurity, before heading to the lower reaches of the English game and being let go, only to return to Scotland with Thistle or Accies.

Sounds like he's pish, better spending our money elsewhere.

Sun says Rangers are close to signing Hastie (rumour) and we get 3 pages of opinions.

Just read in the Record that  Aldred wants to talk about staying - with direct quotes from him - and nothing said. I really hope that we can do a deal with him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steelboy said:

As I said before letting your best young players enter the final 6 months of their contract is criminal. The club is massively to blame for that. Giving out extra years to duds like Newell and Gordon but letting Turnbull and Hastie get close to expiry is poor and hopefully sparks a rethink by Burrows.

What's this Newell and Gordon chat? Did they get new deals or something?

26 minutes ago, stuwell said:

Just read in the Record that  Aldred wants to talk about staying - with direct quotes from him - and nothing said. I really hope that we can do a deal with him.  

That's great news.

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

What's this Newell and Gordon chat? Did they get new deals or something?

They both got extended last year despite not performing well. Neither of them will have played in the first team after being extended. Tens of thousands of pounds pissed away.

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

They both got extended last year despite not performing well. Neither of them will have played in the first team after being extended. Tens of thousands of pounds pissed away.

Ah right ok. They way you constantly referenced it I thought they had signed on again. As if there were some dirty deeds afoul

Pretty sure their contracts had all but run out so it's not as if they were favoured over Hastie or Turnbull. There was also 12 months of a difference in the expiry date. Infact I am not sure what the comparison is.

Some players will be shit/not good enough. It's the standard. I haven't really seen enough of either to know if they justified their 1 year deals. I was never impressed by either in the very small parts they played.

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

That's great news.

So the club are massively at fault in your opinion for not signing up young players, while at the same time being massively at fault for signing up young players?

Or does it boil down to the fact that the 2 players that were given contracts you don't happen to like? The coaches that work with them daily see something in them that maybe you don't...

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

TBF, I don't see any vitriol on here. Mostly just folk who have seen promising youngsters disappear off the radar through lack of opportunity or lack talent their early showings promised. In recent times, Craig Moore, Bob McHugh, Lee Erwin, Dylan Mackin and Dom Thomas were the "ones for the future" - most of whom ended up as sold lower league players. 

When wee Tommy was the gaffer, Paul Tracey was the next big thing, making his debut as teenager.  

The reality is, almost none of the promising youngsters ever make it, so it's a risk for everyone involved, and tough decisions have to be made by the clubs in investing in the players and by the players trying to make the most of their careers.

I've seen him referred to as a cunt twice at least...

I'm not offended by that, I just think it's a bit strong when the lad's not done anything wrong. We've got one newspaper rumour and the knives are out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ScottW1886 said:

So the club are massively at fault in your opinion for not signing up young players, while at the same time being massively at fault for signing up young players?

Or does it boil down to the fact that the 2 players that were given contracts you don't happen to like? The coaches that work with them daily see something in them that maybe you don't... 

Newell's dad is mates with Robinson. Gordon appears to be a favourite of Robinson and was absurdly played ahead of Ainsworth when we were deep in a relegation battle.

Our club has a tradition of nepotism and dodgy deals. It seems quite often that players from our youth system are held to a higher standard by the club and some fans than players we sign.

The way I look at it is as a parent, if my son was offered the chance to sign a contract that will ensure he has a secure financial start to life I would want him to do that. People seem to get hung up on players being loyal but it's a career tainted with risk ie injury. I also think people are more frustrated as it Rangers, if it was a team like Bournmouth I don't think people would be so annoyed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steelboy said:

In the case of Turbull and Hastie it was after they got into the first team.

There are no risks to contracting a boy to the age of 20/21 rather than 19/20.

Crap!   Yes there is no risks in  contracting  A ie one boy. Where does the risk start offering  contract to young boys ?  15 or 20  of them maybe ?  You would be the first to complain when a boy we  gave a contract to failed to make the grade.

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Newell's dad is mates with Robinson. Gordon appears to be a favourite of Robinson and was absurdly played ahead of Ainsworth when we were deep in a relegation battle.

Our club has a tradition of nepotism and dodgy deals. It seems quite often that players from our youth system are held to a higher standard by the club and some fans than players we sign.

I'm sure Robinson would be friendly with a number of players he played with, it doesn't automatically follow that it's the only reason George signed with us. 

We played 3 at the back at that stage and Ainsworth isn't the most defensively responsible winger you'll ever see so Gordon playing ahead of him wasn't that ridiculous. The fact that we stayed up suggests that the manager might have called it right...