The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

12 hours ago, Bart Verheul said:

Robbo saying we are 99.9% certain to sign a creative midfielder. Also says he has real stature, so fingers crossed its not ali crawford and is more like bigi on steroids.

‘Stature’ has two meanings:

1. A person’snatural height.

2. Importance or reputation gained by ability or achievement.

Knowing SR, it probably means the former, however I’d say Ali Crawford could fit into the latter.

6 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

‘Stature’ has two meanings:

1. A person’snatural height.

2. Importance or reputation gained by ability or achievement.

Knowing SR, it probably means the former, however I’d say Ali Crawford could fit into the latter.

In fairness I don’t think you could listen to many of the qualities Robinson is describing and draw Ali Crawford as a conclusion in terms of the player he’s talking about.

Aside from the “stature” comment he talks about the player being able to get about the park, offers a bit of composure and creativity and give us a bit of ownership of the ball. I’m paraphrasing there but IIRC that was the gist.

For me, that’s not an attacking midfielder or #10 like Crawford he’s talking about. That’s a central midfielder, a more deep lying or box to box type.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness I don’t think you could listen to many of the qualities Robinson is describing and draw Ali Crawford as a conclusion in terms of the player he’s talking about.

Aside from the “stature” comment he talks about the player being able to get about the park, offers a bit of composure and creativity and give us a bit of ownership of the ball. I’m paraphrasing there but IIRC that was the gist.

For me, that’s not an attacking midfielder or #10 like Crawford he’s talking about. That’s a central midfielder, a more deep lying or box to box type.

Fair enough, your probably right, but Ali Crawford on form is very good at retaining the ball. I’ve not watched him closely enough to judge him on getting about the Park. As I said, I fully expect a 6 foot plus player to come in, and as you say, be a box to box or quarterback type player.

Makes you wonder how SR is going to fit all his midfielders in. It definitely suggests that one or two may be shipped out. The big question is, will Carl McHugh keep getting picked regardless of form.

SR's statement of the creative midfielder's signing being 99.9% done suggests to me it's not Crawford. With Blackpool rumoured to be interested already, I think Crawford will still be considering his options - and ambitions.

Another media story I don't see happening anymore is Kenny Miller. With the signing of Johnson, and SR stating he is interested in a winger/striker, I don't see where Miller fits in the team. Also Aberdeen and His are likely to offer higher wages. Livingston could add in a manager's salary too.

For me, I'm anticipating two more unknowns to the squad.

2 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Fair enough, your probably right, but Ali Crawford on form is very good at retaining the ball. I’ve not watched him closely enough to judge him on getting about the Park. As I said, I fully expect a 6 foot plus player to come in, and as you say, be a box to box or quarterback type player.

Makes you wonder how SR is going to fit all his midfielders in. It definitely suggests that one or two may be shipped out. The big question is, will Carl McHugh keep getting picked regardless of form.

Funny you say that as on reflection the player Robinson seems to be describing sounds like McHugh’s role in the side.

Just picking a name who’s supposedly available it sounds more like an ICT era Greg Tansey-type than an Ali Crawford.

51 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Big guy from Patrick that we chased a couple of seasons ago Osman I think it is ,could it be him I wonder 

He was supposed to be pretty poor for Thistle last season although I don't think he was helped by injuries. 

1 hour ago, daver said:

He was supposed to be pretty poor for Thistle last season although I don't think he was helped by injuries. 

Pretty much. By all accounts he just downed tools and spent most of his time cutting about with the Pogbas and trying to punt his fashion line. Most Thistle fans were happy to see him chased.

Also, he doesn’t really fit the ‘adds creativity’ side of the profile Robinson is talking up.

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

My first reaction on hearing Robinson's description of the midfielder we're after was 'Bye Bigi'...

Alternatively, it might be "good news Bigi, we're going to play football through the middle this season instead of making you watch the ball fly over your head". Unlikely, I know, but Bowman getting a new contract was unlikely at the start of last season.

4 hours ago, Yodo said:

Big guy from Patrick that we chased a couple of seasons ago Osman I think it is ,could it be him I wonder 

God I hope not, saw him a few times last season and he was woeful. Can’t see that myself.

10 minutes ago, Suprawell said:

Forward thinking wide player...Let's just say Danny Johnson will have to get D.Johnson on the back of his strip next season...:ph34r: Loan deal....for a certain someone in the works...think Cammy Bell's worst nightmare

See if you're at it, I'm going to shite in your bovril every game of the season. 

Given the comments from Robinson and Craigan after he left (saying he downed tools and calling him unprofessional on national TV), either there's no chance, or he is grovelling on his knees all the way up  to Fir Park.

1 hour ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

It’s just a left field guess, but I wonder if the creative midfielder we are signing is Charlie Carter from Woking in the National League. Young, two footed, goal scoring midfielder. 

Will depend on what Robinson meant by a player of stature...

1 hour ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

It’s just a left field guess, but I wonder if the creative midfielder we are signing is Charlie Carter from Woking in the National League. Young, two footed, goal scoring midfielder. 

Seems semi-tall which may link to the stature part, who knows hope whoever it is is a good solid player 

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Will depend on what Robinson meant by a player of stature...

As others have said its a bit ambiguous.  However given his other comments I'll plump for a player who is known to us or is well known in the game ie a player of status as opposed to physically big.  That said he could be both.  

17 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

As others have said its a bit ambiguous.  However given his other comments I'll plump for a player who is known to us or is well known in the game ie a player of status as opposed to physically big.  That said he could be both.  

To me it’s someone well known in the game.