The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

With hartley short of fitness and dunne out injured,cedric is the last player we could be doing without but if the club feel the money is right and he goes to wigan then so be it but let's just hope robinson has a decent replacement lined up or we could be in a bit of trouble at the back.

Still nothing official other than a welcome to Wigan Cedric tweet from a Wigan related fan site. 

If it does happen then I would imagine it would leave us with only Les as a debtor as Boyle if I recall was owed circa £100k. We would still owe Les a singnificant chunk in the region of £500k+ but to get it down to this amount from nearly £2m would be a hell of an acheivement in such a short space of time. Then of course we still have saleable assets in Carson, Cadden, Campbell and even Dunne. One or more may still move in the next week or so. 

I am sure or certainly hope that it would be a case of anyone going out will be replaced, if not on a like for like basis then near as damn it. If Kipre is gone then I would only like to see one more moving on at most. Cadden with one year left seems an obvious one, but even if he stays and does not sign a new deal we should be due decent development fee along the lines of Erwin possibly more. 

Interesting times !

We brought in more defenders because we knew (presumably) Kipré was likely to move on in a window or two.

It's unfortunate Dunne is injured, but we have Tait, Taylor-Sinclair, Donnelly, Hartley, McGuire and McHugh to choose from. I'll be sorry to see Kipré leave, but there's no denying it's a cracking piece of business for many reasons.

First of all, for our business model, it's much needed cash in the bank/loan pay-off.

Secondly, we can use it as an example to other players want to sign - "Look at Cédric - wasn't even playing when we signed, and within a year he had 2 Cup Finals, international recognition and move to the Championship"

Thirdly - he's young. While I agree he looks like he has the potential to be great, he wouldn't be the first promising youngster that drifted into obscurity by the time they reach 23 or 24. 

• Like 2

Yes just like every club in Scotland we are a selling club, but, English football is awash with money and £1M is small beer to them so are we being dazzled or should I say diddled.  If we do sell Kipre, as seems likely now, surely we should be asking £1M cash money with add-ons and not £1M including add-ons. We continually under-value our best players and allow them to go for way less than they could.

• Like 1

To be fair, since Les took over and we revamped our business model, I don't think we have undervalued our players. We've been getting good money for guys like Heneghan, Moult (with 6 months left on his contract) etc. and knocking back bids for guys like Carson if our valuation isn't met.

8 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Yes just like every club in Scotland we are a selling club, but, English football is awash with money and £1M is small beer to them so are we being dazzled or should I say diddled.  If we do sell Kipre, as seems likely now, surely we should be asking £1M cash money with add-ons and not £1M including add-ons. We continually under-value our best players and allow them to go for way less than they could.

I tend to think there's been definite improvement in how we've handled transfers of our players.  It's not so very long we were in the position of being desperate to sell a player in the January window to help us through to the end of the season. We've come a good way since then and they generally go much closer to our terms these days.

It matters not a jot how rich English clubs. It matters what they are prepared to pay for our players.

From many of the reports it seems that there's a sensible balance between gaining a decent fee with clauses built in to generate additional returns further down the line. The commitment to players like Kipre, Moult, Heneghan and Johnson that you come to Motherwell, progress and get a step up has been honoured and the process begins again hopefully with whoever next comes in.

It's unfortunate timing but the transfer model has worked perfectly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, milo said:

No Dunne and Kipre means our ability to body teams has been drastically reduced. Disappointing.

Would be awful if we have to  revert to skill, timing and reading the game.

Although I doubt Hartley will be changing any time soon. 

I heard Cadden and Carson are doubtful and with Campbell suspended and Kipre possibly away. If we get anything from Sunday it could be a minor miracle.....

17 hours ago, milo said:

You and MJC should get together for a party......that would be a lot of fun.....

Maybe so but for the first time for ages I find myself aligning with their argument.

Knowing what we do now about how we are conducting our business, I feel confident we have players waiting in the wings, already identified, only waiting on the ink to be dry on a sale to have them snapped up. Issue with that is agents know this and I think we all know anything with the prefix "English" in it seems to demand a multiplyer. There is also no guarantee we won't be gazumped or some of our targets have been secured because it's taken other teams until now to progress their interest.

Repeating Andy_P's assessment, you would have thought with a strong track record from Moult, Heneghan, Marvin and now Cedric there may have been a few more courting us than us courting them. However we can only control our side of things and there is a proven track record of self improvement and using us as a stepping stone.

What is a fact, the players we have secured at present don't appear to be a real step up in quality or versatility. With the 2 cup runs and extra revenue I think we all expected a better base level of recruitment. We have been surprised in the past with some unfancied players who turned out revelations. We all appreciate that we have to find hidden gems, those with a point to prove or a player with a couple aspects of his game lacking. As a few have also pointed out, Dunne only started to look like a player in January and Higdon took till October so maybe Gorrin will be up for SPFL payer of the year by the winter break for all we know at present.

Hibs have started well but do ship goals, unless Robinson has decided to try and nullify their midfield .... I don't think we'll have the personnel to do on Sunday, I think it's an easy win for them and a naysayer frenzy for us.

You only need to go back as recently as this time last season, when folks were telling us how raw and naive Cedric was and how useless Dunne was, to see why the argument that new signings are "not a step up in quality" is pointless. 

We need to give ATS, Donnelly (and McGuire ) time to get up to speed and settle in.

I guarantee that everyone who complained about Dunne last August is gutted he is not playing this August.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weeyin said:

You only need to go back as recently as this time last season, when folks were telling us how raw and naive Cedric was and how useless Dunne was, to see why the argument that new signings are "not a step up in quality" is pointless. 

We need to give ATS, Donnelly (and McGuire ) time to get up to speed and settle in.

I guarantee that everyone who complained about Dunne last August is gutted he is not playing this August.

Off the back of Cup and financial success, the repeat evidence of our players moving on to bigger and better things then you'd expect the Base/Datum (call it what you will) level of recruitment to increase. So the step up on quality argument does have merit. Imagine Celtic didn't qualify for the champions league last year, they would have less money and less of  draw, therefore the quality of the player they could attract would be less.

People could see Cedric was naive and but could also see he had something about him. Dunne wasn't helped by his clumsiness that only dissipated come January. Bigi plays a couple of games near the end of the season and puts his foot on the ball in the Cup Final and people exclaim he's the solution to our midfield issues.

The difference is that Dunne and Kipre were obviously physically on a level above the vast majority of our league.

Taylor-Sinclair has had a bad injury and we don't know if he's capable of his Thistle performances. Donnelly is max 5 foot 11 and doesn't look particularly athletic. If we lose the ability to absorb pressure at the back we're fucked because we can't keep the ball.

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The difference is that Dunne and Kipre were obviously physically on a level above the vast majority of our league.

Taylor-Sinclair has had a bad injury and we don't know if he's capable of his Thistle performances. Donnelly is max 5 foot 11 and doesn't look particularly athletic. If we lose the ability to absorb pressure at the back we're fucked because we can't keep the ball.

Pretty sure Dunne will be the same size after he recovers and Hartley is still the same size now.

And while I'm a fan of both Dunne and Kipre - ball retention is not their forté.

If we want to find another big central defender, I'm sure there will be a few available down south. 

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/08/03/cedric-kipre-joins-wigan-athletic/

CÉDRIC KIPRÉ JOINS WIGAN ATHLETIC

15:52
Cédric Kipré joins Wigan Athletic

Defender Cédric Kipré has left the club to join English Championship side Wigan Atheltic.

The 21-year-old Parisian joined ‘Well in the summer of 2017 from Leicester City and made an immediate impression, following a string of impressive performances.

The youngster, who also played for Paris Saint-Germain, became a fan favourite and broke into the Ivory Coast international side, playing for their Under 23s in a 5-0 win against Togo.

He finished his rookie season having featured 49 times in claret and amber, playing more domestic minutes than any player in Scotland last term. He added a further three appearances in the Betfred Cup this season.

Kipré joins the Latics for a significant fee, with the club also potentially earning more should the player excel at the DW Stadium. He has signed a three-year contract with the club.

“Although it’s with a heavy heart that we lose Cédric, his progress over the last year has been remarkable and it’s little wonder English Championship clubs have been circling,” ‘Well boss Stephen Robinson said.

“He has the potential to go all the way to the top in my opinion and we very much wish him well in his future career. He will always be welcome back at Fir Park.

“We have been working on a potential replacement and hope to have something completed on that front as soon as possible.”

The 6ft 3in defender is not the first Motherwell player to head south for Wigan, with Lee McCulloch and Stevie McMillan following a similar path almost 20 years ago.

Kipré himself added: “I would like to thank everyone at Motherwell, especially the manager and the fans, for everything they have done for me.

“I loved it at the club and it was hard to leave, but this is a really big move for my family and I and we are excited by the challenge.

“Motherwell will always have a special place in my heart though and I will be cheering the team on wherever I am.”

Chief executive Alan Burrows said: “The model we have at the club is built and based around the development and trade of players, everyone gets that.

“That said, you always have mixed emotions at these times. Whilst you are happy for the player and share in the sense of pride at seeing someone develop and move up the ladder, it’s a wrench to see such a talented player leave for the last time.

“However, when the full balance of the fee is paid, it will go down as one of the most lucrative in Motherwell’s history, with the potential to be the most depending on how Cédric performs at Wigan.

“We believe that represents good business and we will be working with Stephen Robinson to try and find a replacement.”

Everyone at Motherwell FC would like to thank Cédric for his contribution whilst at Fir Park and wish him every success in his future career.

Weve probably taken 500 grand wi a % sell on, knowing if he has even a half decent season at Wigan, they will sell him for £9m plus next summer. Gutting how shitey Scottish Football is treated but money talks

• Like 1