The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

4 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Now confirmed by club undisclosed fee don’t like them makes you think he’s been sold cheaper than you think 

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Best of luck Cedric, seems like a great guy, hope he goes on to huge things.

I’m becoming more and more frustrated by this summer as it rolls on.

As I posted elsewhere on here, we’ve done nothing to capitalize  on the positivity of the club from last season in terms of positive recruitment.

I understand that the club has its model and it has worked here however I’d like to know what the contingency plan is?

We’re two days from the start of a new season, with a handful of injuries and some positivily mediocre cup displays.

It would be good if Robinson were to come out and actually state his intentions.

Are we bringing in like for like (ie. Spending a little -not all of - money to re-invest) or are we trying to bring in another lower league English player on the hope it’ll work.

i don’t see this in being any way long term conducive to a positive playing  future at the club...

Just broke the news to my 8yr old. He’s Ran upstairs crying, he’s just got over Moult leaving!! Disaster.

£1m for a punt 12 months ago, I find it hard to complain. He’s been a great player and by all accounts a great lad. He’s made a huge impact at the club in a very short time, I hope he goes on and gets success in the future. Good luck big man, you’ll be missed.

9 minutes ago, Kmac said:

I’m becoming more and more frustrated by this summer as it rolls on.

As I posted elsewhere on here, we’ve done nothing to capitalize  on the positivity of the club from last season in terms of positive recruitment.

I saw an interview with Burrows where he said the aim was to avoid relegation. If we can't try and push on after two cup finals with most of the squad under contract when will we?

Going by what he said in the paper we might as well change our name to Motherwell Accies.

• Like 1

All the best to Cedric, he clearly has the attributes to go far in the game. I think it was important for his own career progression, that he made the step up this summer.

If he hits the ground running at Wigan, he’ll be getting touted for a £5mil+ move next summer. 

As for Motherwell, we’ve probably known for some time that this transfer was coming. Here’s hoping we are ready to invest in enhancing the first 11.

One of the most lucrative certainly suggests a fair bit north of £500k. Add to that the fact that Borrows has said that it has the potential to be the most lucrative. Well, I don't think any add ons take a few from £500k to £1.75m easily. The club have shown recently a willingness to turn down a few if it's not right. On that basis, we have to trust them on this one. 

Definitely leaves us short handed with only four guys fit that can play centre half, with one of them suspended for Sunday. Would be fine if we didn't play three at the back.

As others have pointed out, the fact that Kipré came as an out of work trialist suggests that there are players out there...

Glad to hear that the club are looking to replace Cedric rather than just make do with the players we already have.

Its a big enough wrench seeing one of your better players go, regardless of the fee and business model, but if it weakens the squad its even more so.

Its impossible to say just now how good a player Liam Donnelly will turn out to be for us, but he doesnt have the physicality Cedric has. 

Hopefully we have another treat in store.

PS Wishing Cedric all the best. It has been a privelege to see him play in claret and amber and we can all look on like proud parents as he moves onto the next level of what will hopefully become a glittering career.

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

I saw an interview with Burrows where he said the aim was to avoid relegation. If we can't try and push on after two cup finals with most of the squad under contract when will we?

Going by what he said in the paper we might as well change our name to Motherwell Accies.

Our aim is always initially to avoid relegation, as it should be. The likes of Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Dundee United and Partick Thistle have all gone from mid table to relegation. You have to remember the size of club we are, we have no divine right to have been in the top division for over 30 seasons in a row. An ongoing record only bettered by Celtic and Aberdeen, by the way...

5 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

One of the most lucrative certainly suggests a fair bit north of £500k. Add to that the fact that Borrows has said that it has the potential to be the most lucrative. Well, I don't think any add ons take a few from £500k to £1.75m easily. The club have shown recently a willingness to turn down a few if it's not right. On that basis, we have to trust them on this one. 

Definitely leaves us short handed with only four guys fit that can play centre half, with one of them suspended for Sunday. Would be fine if we didn't play three at the back.

As others have pointed out, the fact that Kipré came as an out of work trialist suggests that there are players out there...

I would read 'most lucrative ever' relating to a sell on where Cedric goes for a huge fee.

17 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Like for Like for Kipré would mean bringing in an out of work player who has never made a first team start.

Unfortunately, It doesn't.  

Like for like now means bringing in a physically strong centre half with a number of first team games under his belt at a decent age. 

I'm not interested in reverting back to square one all the time and neither should the club be, we have to move forward. 

2 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Like for like now means bringing in a physically strong centre half with a number of first team games under his belt at a decent age. 

I'm not interested in reverting back to square one all the time and neither should the club be, we have to move forward. 

Move forward to where exactly? We are where we are in the food chain. We don't sign young yet proven players. We as a club have to take risks. We took two obvious ones last summer. One worked out (Kipré), one didn't (Plummer). It was the one who had never played a first team game before that worked out. 

We can our scouting and look into a player's character, do all the due diligence we like, every player we sign will be to an extent a roll of the dice. Sure things sign for bigger clubs...

5 minutes ago, Kmac said:

So you want us to buy Championship level players and pay them Championship level wages?

We can't even afford development fees to sign players from the Scottish lower leagues.

Gutted that the big man is leaving as I believe that another year here and continued development  could have seen him going for mega bucks - I'm sure the club feels the same but have to respect and honour or commitment to the player.

Im assuming that when we sign players like Cedric, there is an understanding that if a bid of £xxx is made we will not stand in the way.  It appears Wigan were the only team to show an interest unfortunately so could to some extent call the shots. I'm sure the club has extracted the maximum amount of value that it could in the deal and maybe the smaller cash up front deal will lead to more in the long run.

as for the argument that we should be signing better class players, it's not just about improving what we have its about getting players willing to come to the club for the wages we can offer hence the reason we pick up players who are either unproven, trying to regain previous form or coming towards the end of their career.

Some people need to get a grip I think.

Selling Kipre will not be the difference between us staying up or going down just like the possibility of losing to Hibs on Sunday with a bit of a depleted squad will not relegate us.

There is a long season ahead with almost a month left to get players in.

It's very likely the 'football' on offer this season won't be great again but we're a long way off being relegation fodder.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

So you want us to buy Championship level players and pay them Championship level wages?

We can't even afford development fees to sign players from the Scottish lower leagues.

Why do you go out your way to be pedantic prick every time you post?

Of course he doesn't want us to do that. What he wants us to do is sign a decent physical defender in order to replace the decent physical defender we've just lost. I suspect you knew that though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Of course he doesn't want us to do that. What he wants us to do is sign a decent physical defender in order to replace the decent physical defender we've just lost. I suspect you knew that though.

No, he said that he wanted us to sign someone with a few games under his belt. Kipré wasn't that player when he signed. The point weeyin was making was a valid one...

2 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I'm not suggesting for 1 second we pay silly money for players. What I want is for us to be in a position whereby we can reasonably expect to compete each season in the league and improve as a side. If our model is to continually  sell our top players and replace with a standard  not anywhere near close to that of the player which just left us, all we are doing is going back to square one each time, whilst others around us build on successes and grow squads capable of competing regularly with the top sides in our league. 

2 minutes ago, Kmac said:

I'm not suggesting for 1 second we pay silly money for players. What I want is for us to be in a position whereby we can reasonably expect to compete each season in the league and improve as a side. If our model is to continually  sell our top players and replace with a standard  not anywhere near close to that of the player which just left us, all we are doing is going back to square one each time, whilst others around us build on successes and grow squads capable of competing regularly with the top sides in our league. 

You do realise that all clubs of our size (St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, St Mirren) and some clubs bigger than us all do the same thing? Sell their best players to keep the club running and bring in someone that they hope can develop to replace the player they sold or bring in someone that maybe needs a fresh start somewhere? Moult wasn't proven at any real level. Likewise Heneghan, Marvin Johnson or any number of players who have come in and done a job...

51 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I would say it’s going to be avoiding relegation every season with anything else  a bonus, so no real surprise. When the debt is paid off maybe a slightly bigger investment in the playing budget. With our crowds and playing budget we will never be challenging for top four with all the big guns back in the top flight.