The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

20 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

My concern is we don't seem willing to give youth a chance. Hopefully that will change but not while Robbo is in charge. And no that is not me wanting rid of him as I really like him but the style of play is brutal to watch

Was it not Robinson that gave Allan Campbell a chance. I'm sure that if the young players are ready and good enough they will get a chance. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We clearly have a good amount of money after the cup finals and transfer fees received, the club has simply decided it’s going to be used in other areas.

Always need to have money left for transfers incase of your biggest assets leaving or injuries etc. and now at CB we have no depth with only McHugh, Donnelly and Hartley capable of playing there.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Robinson is in the papers saying we've no money for new players.

He also said Carson got a new contract which was news to me?

If you're looking to negotiate a loan or a fee for a player, I reckon it's a bad idea to advertise the fact that you have a fair bit of money to spend...

According to the good Captain on Pie & Bovril, Alan Burrows has tweeted that Cedric's down payment fee is the 3rd largest in the club's history.  So, on that basis it  must be roughly between £800k and £1.25m.  Also, we hope to sign more than one player shortly.  Hope I've read that correctly.  The English window closes on Thursday (very sensibly) so the next few days should be interesting.

Robinson is in the papers saying we've no money for new players.

He also said Carson got a new contract which was news to me?

Also, Robinson is not an idiot.

First of all, he's quoted yesterday as saying he has a replacement for Kipre lined up and hopes to do a deal soon (which implies the Board released some of the transfer fee)

Secondly, he'd be the biggest eejit on the planet if he flapped his gums to the media saying "we've got a ton of spare cash to spend on a new player - who can you sell us?"

Even under the new business model, we've always tried to replace players we sell. But just as our starting point for selling players should be "we don't need to sell, so you need to meet our valuation",  our starting point for negotiation when buying players should be "we're skint".

Pretty standard stuff whether you are wheeling and dealing in the transfer market or buying a car.

• Like 1

Self evident that we’re sorely missing quality. Let’s hope we’ve managed to bring in a couple of players by next week...

Badly needing another quality defender and Attacking midfielder/striker who can create.

3 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Self evident that we’re sorely missing quality. Let’s hope we’ve managed to bring in a couple of players by next week...

Badly needing another quality defender and Attacking midfielder/striker who can create.

We have attacking midfielders who can create, but it seems we'll need to wait on Tanner being fit before any of them are allowed to start.

Just watched the managers post match interview and he mentioned that he thought  Bigi wanted to head south but he’s now “back in the squad and going for it”.

Perhaps we’ll all get to see if he is the class act that so many on here want him to be and crave.

49 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

Just watched the managers post match interview and he mentioned that he thought  Bigi wanted to head south but he’s now “back in the squad and going for it”.

Perhaps we’ll all get to see if he is the class act that so many on here want him to be and crave.

If he starts, maybe. If his role is to chase lost causes, not so much. 

11 minutes ago, stv said:

Ma head hurts reading stuff on here. Im off to mumsnet.com. Now they can really bitch about nothing. Lookin forward to watching the game Saturday ,simple.

I think people on here have the right to bitch. We have some quality ball playing midfielders who when they do get a game show everyone that they can do it but get benched continually for the likes of Rose and Grimshaw. We need a ball winning midfielder in the team but not a whole midfield of them. Hibs pace totally negated the whole defensive midfield setup we had and they just passed the ball around them. When Frear and Bigi came on the difference was clear to everyone with half a brain cell. We were much more positive and actually took the game to hibs a lot more with Johnson's chances the result. Its bloody frustrating when the world can see these type of players improve the balance and creativity of the midfield but we chose not to play them for this god awful punt up the park style of play. I understand sometimes we need to park the bus against teams but when the approach is clearly not working it needs to change quickly not when the game is basically over 3-0 down.

• Like 1

Considering Johnson has come from National League and that was his first taste of Premiership opposition, I thought he done exceptionally well. 

Aye, he missed 3 excellent chances but the fact he got in those positions in the first place was more than had been done in the previous 75 minutes. He looked strong, took the ball in tight spaces and kept possession. A wee glimmer of hope from the summer signings. 

just back from mumsnet.com 

2 hours ago, Well Well said:

I think people on here have the right to bitch. We have some quality ball playing midfielders who when they do get a game show everyone that they can do it but get benched continually for the likes of Rose and Grimshaw. We need a ball winning midfielder in the team but not a whole midfield of them. Hibs pace totally negated the whole defensive midfield setup we had and they just passed the ball around them. When Frear and Bigi came on the difference was clear to everyone with half a brain cell. We were much more positive and actually took the game to hibs a lot more with Johnson's chances the result. Its bloody frustrating when the world can see these type of players improve the balance and creativity of the midfield but we chose not to play them for this god awful punt up the park style of play. I understand sometimes we need to park the bus against teams but when the approach is clearly not working it needs to change quickly not when the game is basically over 3-0 down.

Just back from mumsnet.com and even they cant believe that a manager who saved his team from relagation in his first two months in charge then  got his wee team to two national finals in his first full season . Brought in a 'free'signing and then sold him 12 months later for £1 million has suddenly not got a clue. All arter just one full leauge game.    I do dispair. I told them that footballs a funny old game but the fans are sometimes even funnier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stv said:

just back from mumsnet.com 

Just back from mumsnet.com and even they cant believe that a manager who saved his team from relagation in his first two months in charge then  got his wee team to two national finals in his first full season . Brought in a 'free'signing and then sold him 12 months later for £1 million has suddenly not got a clue. All arter just one full leauge game.    I do dispair. I told them that footballs a funny old game but the fans are sometimes even funnier.

you pissed or your spell checker on the blink...or more probably your brain cell

On 8/5/2018 at 10:07 AM, star sail said:

Was it not Robinson that gave Allan Campbell a chance. I'm sure that if the young players are ready and good enough they will get a chance. 

Bringing in one young player hardly an achievement. I just feel that it's becoming tougher for young lads to get a chance. And if they aren't good enough then we need to look at the youth set up we have.  On separate note all the negativity after one league game is crazy.  Jeez 3 months ago we were in a cup final.  COYW

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Bringing in one young player hardly an achievement. I just feel that it's becoming tougher for young lads to get a chance. And if they aren't good enough then we need to look at the youth set up we have.  On separate note all the negativity after one league game is crazy.  Jeez 3 months ago we were in a cup final.  COYW

I'm not that fussed about the youth team not getting a chance at the moment to be honest. We signed Kipré, Moult & Johnson and turned a huge profit on them, and it looks like we'll do the same with Carson.

I appreciate a few things:

Firstly, a lot of players were given improved terms last season so a fair bit of the budget this season will be going to retaining those players services however from the outside it may appear like the status quo.

Second, in the aftermath of the Gary Neville spat, its evident we had targets but were pipped at the final hurdle by being gazumped or not even in the ball park financially.

Third I expect there are players we have identified who we can only pursue once we had money in the bank from sales.

It is evident the midfield playmaker is perhaps the most rare of footballing talents as it seems they aren't as prevalent as the other positions. Therefore it carries a premium and every other team is courting these players. We have failed to source an adequate one for a good 5 years now.

Finally, I do think Robinson is the man for the job. He achieved a lot last year (and the half dozen games or so of 2016/17), mainly centred around creating a feel good factor and having players give that extra 5% for their mates. Yes he played to the strengths of the team he recruited and unfortunately Celtic didn't turn up to either Final the way Aberdeen or Rangers showed up to the semi's, we seemed to take that role.

It's evident he does have a plan B and C but due to personnel he is forced to stick to A. Now that gets the ire of the fans screaming for the introduction of a player. For whatever reason we tend to chase games rather than start off well and protect our position.

I've said before that a manager is often judged and job security based on his summer acquisitions. Last year we had a few coups with Carson, Hartley and Cedric. Dunne impressed form January on, Tanner's contribution seems to have drifted from the memory because he's been out for so long but he definitely brought something and Rose continues to be someone that splits opinion.  Aldred and Main were timely replacements for big players Hartley and Louis. Bigi hasn't featured as much as anyone thought, surprising due to his perceived pedigree so I can only imagine work ethic and commitment must be an issue.

I think to succeed when you have less quality players in this league you have to reinvent your style and tactics before you play each round of 11 games. That's why we did so well till October, but failed from then on till New Year. We got found out and exploited.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Taking this with a pinch of salt due to the source, however the Sun reporting that we are after Ross Callachan of Hearts.

Yes another central midfielder. Don’t believe we have enough of them at the moment......

Surely not? Even if we play McHugh at centre half, we still have no need for any more bodies in there. Unless someone leaves. Someone that the manager announced recently might want to go back down South...