The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

10 hours ago, mfc said:

According to today's sun,turnbull has said he wants to stay and a new deal should be signed soon.fingers crossed it happens as the boy is a class act.

Saw that - story and quotes in and Evening Time article by Graeme McGarry too. 

Fantastic news. Both from a current team perspective and also future potential transfer value.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47003490

Motherwell: Stephen Robinson 'confident' David Turnbull will sign new deal

By Scott Mullen

BBC Sport Scotland

Sharethis page

Watch: David Turnbull scores as Motherwell sink Hibernian

Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson is "confident" David Turnbull will sign a new deal at the club.

The attacking midfielder, 19, has become a key player for the Lanarkshire side after coming through the ranks.

The scorer of the winning goal against Hibernian on Wednesday, Turnbull's current contract is up in the summer.

"They are making progress on it. I think both parties want to get it done so the sooner the better," said Robinson.

"He just needs to concentrate on playing football and let other people worry about getting the right deal done."

Motherwell's victory over Hibs, which moves them to within five points of the Easter Road club in eighth, was largely down to Turnbull and his fellow academy graduates.

Jake Hastie was instrumental in the winning goal, while Allan Campbell was a formidable force in midfield.

Earlier this week former Rangers and Motherwell defender Maurice Ross took over as under-20s manager from Stephen Craigan, with Robinson underlining the importance of the role to the club to keep that young talent coming through.

"It's been a massive part of what we do," he said.

"It's up to him to develop them and it is then a handover process as we dip them in and out of training with the first team.

"I have seen Mo in training, he is top class. That's what we need, we have to coach players here."

If we can get Turnbull signed up it will be a fantastic bit of business. After that, anything else achieved in this transfer window would be a bonus. In terms of the squad, we would probably be looking at getting guys out, rather than bringing many more in.

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

A striker probably isn't going to make much difference to our season now.

I'd say we are better saving our money and getting quality in the summer.

Depends who is available I guess and if we feel we are already safe. 

Just now, steelboy said:

I say that because Robbo himself has said that he's looking at a left back and striker, budget permitting. Whilst its great to see midfielders chip in with goals I'd like to see our strikers do what they're supposed to do. We can't always rely on midfielders or indeed defendèrs.

We already have Main, Samson, Johnson, McCormack and Scott in terms of strikers. I can only see a new one being brought in if we move at least one of them on. I can see a case for Sammon going back to Hearts, Scott going out on loan for more experience and any offer for Main or Johnson being tempting to accept, but how likely are any of these scenarios?

9 minutes ago, The African said:

We already have Main, Samson, Johnson, McCormack and Scott in terms of strikers. I can only see a new one being brought in if we move at least one of them on. I can see a case for Sammon going back to Hearts, Scott going out on loan for more experience and any offer for Main or Johnson being tempting to accept, but how likely are any of these scenarios?

Probably unlikely in truth although I agree that Scott needs to be the next one sent out to get game time. McCormack looks well away from being the guy we need up front just now. The other three are all struggling in front of goal as we know. I like Main but i’m beginning to think he needs to move on.

Any additions will be contingent on someone leaving (with bigi, main and Sammon being the rumored ones), and you’ve got to wonder that if we were able to get a win tomorrow would the club decide that more signings aren’t necessary? Would the money we spend on a couple more new guys cancel out what we’d get if we finished 8th instead of 9th? 

On the other hand, we may not want to risk being complacent then Dundee and St Mirren pull a couple of big signings out the bag on the last day.

The next week is shaping up to be a very interesting one for the league, with so much still in play and plenty of banter to be had.

Just now, fizoxy said:

Any additions will be contingent on someone leaving (with bigi, main and Sammon being the rumored ones), and you’ve got to wonder that if we were able to get a win tomorrow would the club decide that more signings aren’t necessary? Would the money we spend on a couple more new guys cancel out what we’d get if we finished 8th instead of 9th? 

On the other hand, we may not want to risk being complacent then Dundee and St Mirren pull a couple of big signings out the bag on the last day.

Absolutely. Bringing in another striker will be dependent on moving on at least one player surplus to requirements.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

This actually makes a lot of sense if we save money for the summer and invest etc. I’d love to see McCormack up front but think we will play with him as a deep lying forward like how ojamaa played which is still essentially up front. I would probs say the best option for us is to buy some big cunt on loan either young or not getting games elsewhere n has a decent eye for goal, get Newell out and Main possibly and of course Sammon but that’s not possible from what I’ve heard and either have Scott on the bench and pushing for a place or send him on loan then in the summer buy someone on a free or small fee from what’s available.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely. Bringing in another striker will be dependent on moving on at least one player surplus to requirements.

Begs the question as to who is actually surplus to our requirements now. I’d say Newell, but he is probably injured, Sammon, but only with us onloan and would have gone back to Hearts already if they wanted him, Bigi and Frear, but who would want them,and sure as eggs is eggs, you can guarantee that we would pick up a couple of injuries before their taxi had left Lanarkshire. I reckon our business is pretty much done until the summer.

11 hours ago, weeyin said:

From what Robinson has been saying it sounds like Hastie only started because Frear wasn't fit. So I don't think he's surplus yet. 

That maybe . But he grabbed his chance with both hands. The manager would need to be very brave / mental to put Frear back in over Hastie now. I agree that Frear probably isnt surplus yet though,  as Ariybi is only on loan.

• Like 1

Main needs a goal. I would give him a half for the reserves if they had a fixture.
We said that about Main the last time he needed a goal. He got one but, obviously, the pickings have still been slim since. Beginning to wonder if maybe he's just shite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Have a feeling still that Sammon might go to St Mirren or Thistle and we bring in another target man , but maybe that’s just wishful thinking . Luton also saying even though no manager still hoping to bring players in this week so could Main be a possibility or is that just even more wishful thinking.