The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

34 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

The only midfielder with any footballing ability is Bigi and he does not seem to figure in Robinson’s plans

That’s a good point , as for those who need to get up to fitness well robbo has to carry the can there as for our lack of width! 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Lose on Tuesday and we are out and nationally embarrassed on the TV on the Saturday.

9 points should see us through. 8 and we will be sweating.

Robinson's  policy of signing cloggers not looking great after two games.

We're on four points so to get to 8 or 9 will depend on how we get on in another penalty shootout. We can still get 10 points but Tuesday's game in particular is likely to be very tough. 

The cups run were good but we carried a lot of luck. The league performances were  mostly rotten.

Most people were expecting our issues in the final third to be addressed this summer and that hasn't happened yet. Robinson clearly sends the team out to punt long balls and without cup runs to keep the fans upbeat it'll get old very quickly. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Did we win something ,I must have missed that 

So the benchmark we have to meet is winning the league or a cup, get ready to be very dissapointed  just about every season for the next 30 years.

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Did we win something ,I must have missed that 

I know I shouldn’t bite, but honestly, how old are you? Are you really this much of a moron or are you much brighter than your post suggest and just a troll ?

The whole “we were by far the poorest team in the second half against Edinburgh” patter sums you up really. Shall we all just forget the 5 goals that were scored in the first half of that game? 

No getting away from today being a cause for frustration. We should’ve comfortably won. However, results like this in this tournament at this time of year are not at all unusual. I will not be shitting my pants just yet. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

The only midfielder with any footballing ability is Bigi and he does not seem to figure in Robinson’s plans

He was sitting in the main stand watching that. Two and a half hours driving down to Stranraer to get a rid neck. My god that was an embarrassing 2nd half. Hartley was being turned inside out by that centre forward and Kipre fared no better against him. What is it with us and only turning up in the first half of games?. The thing that worried me most was our guys getting out muscled all over the midfield by much much smaller players. If Main could concentrate on trying to score goals rather than embarrassingly trying to win fouls by constantly falling over would be a start. Anyway, its preseason and the quicker I forget about this game the better.

Edit: as for the hoofball today (again). Its getting too easily read now by every team and we need to play football on the deck. If I could read every single diagonal ball played from defence from the stands, the footballers on the park did so and mopped it up very easily

Bigi's days must be numbered,we're overloaded with midfielders and crying out for somebody that can make a pass but yet he can't get any real game time.i would like too see him or turnbull start against qos but I don't see it happening.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Well Well said:

He was sitting in the main stand watching that. Two and a half hours driving down to Stranraer to get a rid neck. My god that was an embarrassing 2nd half. Hartley was being turned inside out by that centre forward and Kipre fared no better against him. What is it with us and only turning up in the first half of games?. The thing that worried me most was our guys getting out muscled all over the midfield by much much smaller players. If Main could concentrate on trying to score goals rather than embarrassingly trying to win fouls by constantly falling over would be a start. Anyway, its preseason and the quicker I forget about this game the better.

Edit: as for the hoofball today (again). Its getting too easily read now by every team and we need to play football on the deck. If I could read every single diagonal ball played from defence from the stands, the footballers on the park did so and mopped it up very easily

Worrying that you say we got out muscled by a smaller team when it appears our game plan is to depend on being big and physical this season

you can argue that when given the opportunity bigi may not have grabbed it however in a midfield 3 of physical players with two wing backs I can’t see how given a run of games and the licence to be our attacking midfielder with 2 holding he wouldn’t thrive

personally I don’t think he has ever been given a long enough run and without him or the likes of turnbull getting an opportunity I can see myself get bored of watching the way we played last season

Hate to write players off before they have started but watching Connor sammon and Main all season gives me the fear

• Like 1

Drove down to the match today. 

Ach, it was a good laugh to be honest. Highlight was definitely Max Currie's saves after getting pelters from the 'well fans behind the goals the entire second half (some of quite funny, some of it just bawbaggery). 

Quite a few areas of concern today but I'll hold off judgement until after Tuesday. 

I still maintain these games are effectively glorified friendlies, however if we fail to progress from a group even the worst Motherwell teams should skoosh, along with the signing of Conor fucking Sammon, then my enthusiasm for the season ahead will have taken a massive hit before the it even begins in anger!

11 minutes ago, milo said:

I still maintain these games are effectively glorified friendlies, however if we fail to progress from a group even the worst Motherwell teams should skoosh, along with the signing of Conor fucking Sammon, then my enthusiasm for the season ahead will have taken a massive hit before the it even begins in anger!

I’d be amazed if we fail to progress. I’m expecting us to win the next two games.

I really don’t want to start over reacting to essentially what is a pre season poor showing. 

However I can only echo what others have said. The team is crying out for a ball player in midfielder. 

The thought of Robbo picking McHugh, Rose and Grimmy at the same time over the likes of Bigi, Turnbull and even Gorrin, in the limited time I have saw of him, to lump it to Connor Sammon is actually depressing the life out me. 

It also just shows you how badly we miss Campbell when he doesn’t play. He is our inspiration and our drive. 

14 minutes ago, milo said:

You see, this is what irritates me. Last year and this year, all we hear is how 'we'll be ready by the first league game' and these games are about getting fitness. This is a cup, one of only two trophies we can win, not a pre season tournament. 

We did well in the cups last year but even then I remember feeling the group games (for all we won them) had a sense of not  being treated like competitive games. When it's all about 'minutes in legs' results like today can happen...

48 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

You see, this is what irritates me. Last year and this year, all we hear is how 'we'll be ready by the first league game' and these games are about getting fitness. This is a cup, one of only two trophies we can win, not a pre season tournament. 

We did well in the cups last year but even then I remember feeling the group games (for all we won them) had a sense of not  being treated like competitive games. When it's all about 'minutes in legs' results like today can happen...

That's the problem with the new format, though.  There's no way for players to be up to full fitness after the summer break, and there's no other option for pre-season games before the league starts.

So what's the answer? 

For a squad our size, the only answer is to walk the tightrope between winning games and getting players minutes. I'm sure if there was a better way a lot of clubs would be delighted to hear it, as you can see from the group results, it's a common issue. Unless we do well enough to come in at a later stage of the competition, we are going to have the same problem every year. 

41 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'm not sure it's all about minutes in legs. The players went out to win today, we were just shite.

There is however always going to be an element of pre-season feeling about this stage of the competition. It's effectively replaced pre-season and I'd guess was only agreed because the big clubs "should" be able to build fitness / try shapes and change personnel, while the smaller clubs get a few extra cup game with a guarantee of playing a premiership side.

It's win-win. Except when we lose a penalty shoot out.  

"…….my enthusiasm for the season ahead will have taken a massive hit before the it even begins in anger!"

Milo: "enthusiasm"?  You're taking the piss, right?

I picture you shivering  in your 'Well FC SE pyjamas tonight, hugging a   hot water bottle to your head and  dreaming of Michael Higdon.

Stay loose till Tuesday, then howk out the pitchforks and torches as you wish.

With the exception of last year and 2005 (gubbed 5-1 in the final), our LG cup performances have been execrable since I began in 1962.

3 hours ago, supermarv said:

Perfect example of why we didn’t win today! 2 players just walking about without a care in the world.

E3AFB722-C798-4E05-A457-669D24662FF6.png

I have been a member of this website for many years, and I have read through a whole lot of shite in that time, but an isolated screenshot from the highlights showing two players temporarily not moving with a comment of "FUCK SAKE WHY AREN'T THEY RUNNING?!" has to be quite literally the worst post I've ever read in the history of SteelmenOnline.

Impressive.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Was at the match today and wuite honestly the team display was useless. To be beaten by a part time team, who also looked much fitter and faster than ours was deplorable. We carried a great support who had absolutely nothing to cheer about. The long ball play was hopeless, no midfield to speak about and forwards who haven't a clue where the goal is. Contrary to other views Connor Salmon was not the worst on view, he at least tried to play some football. I also thought the subs were wrong. McHugh was not the worst, Curtiss Main showed nothing except to fall about and foul. Kipre was awful too. A bit of football on the ground would have helped. Don't think the manager did much of a job with his picks. Can only hope that Tuesday night shows a great improvement. Read the team's comments on Twitter and they should be ashamed of themselves with their display.

Does nobody remember the EC away game last season, only late goals stopped us losing against a weaker team than Stranraer.We're still in a decent position to get through even with 4 points from these 2 games, everybody is giving QOS the big build up but they're a mid table first division team and one that we should be beating with even an average performance.

Disappointing but not surprising that the usual suspects plus 1 or 2 others seem to relish putting the boot in after a disappointing performance and result, but such is life.

It will be great to see as much enthusiastic banging of keyboards should we play well on Tuesday, but I won't hold my breath.

I have worries about the season ahead and our style of play at times, but try to be objective, good or bad.

Picking up on comments re Curtis Main, having watched him at Dunfermline and v Edinb City I agree he seems out of sorts, and we must hope he gets back on song soon. I share worries that Rodriquez Gorrin looks no better than Bigi thus far, but will be delighted if I am proved wrong. None of the new signings have over impressed me thus far but then neither did Louis Moult or Kipre for that matter so hopefully they will get time to settle in before being written off.

My fear for the season ahead is that our style of play will only be tolerated while we have decent results but jumped on when not. If wee Tommy was cut no slack when we hit a sticky spell after actually winning a trophy Robbo will suffer likewise if we are not producing results.

Having said all that bad as today sounds we are not the only SPL side to have a 'mare' against lower league opposition at this stage and won't be the last. It is only the 2nd competitive game of the season,

Negativity from the stands becomes a self fullfilling prophecy which helps no one so hopefully a good result in Tuesday will have everyone feeling a bit more positive

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1