The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

We need to see a reaction to Saturday's poor performance. Play our strongest available side, win the physical battle and, having done that, take advantage of the resulting control to create chances and score goals. I would expect more from Kipre and Hartley and would expect Campbell to make a difference. Main and Johnston up front and Frear to get a run at some stage. A win is the only acceptable result after dropping points at Stranraer. We can afford to experiment a little against Clyde, if we win on Tuesday.

8 hours ago, The African said:

We need to see a reaction to Saturday's poor performance. Play our strongest available side, win the physical battle and, having done that, take advantage of the resulting control to create chances and score goals. I would expect more from Kipre and Hartley and would expect Campbell to make a difference. Main and Johnston up front and Frear to get a run at some stage. A win is the only acceptable result after dropping points at Stranraer. We can afford to experiment a little against Clyde, if we win on Tuesday.

Agreed! No messing!

29 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Losing Dunne is a blow.

He looked as if he had put on a lot of muscle last week against Edinburgh which might not have been a good idea.

Thought that would've been good eye candy for you? It's an abductor muscle strain at any rate...

This is too important a game to take chances with team selection. Must put out the fittest, hungriest team and take the opportunities that we create. I thought McHugh in the back three was at his most effective for many a game and Campbell needs to be at his best in midfield. Bowman up front always puts in a shift and never hides so he should get the nod before Sammon. After that Carson, Tait and Camden should get their place. If Kipre is still carrying an injury vs Hartley needing game time I would prefer Hartley. Main then because he has a stronger understanding with Bowman although Curtis needs to find a bit more sharpness. Rose for his energy, Frear for width. And Turnbull on the bench with the promise of half an hour because he changes things in ways QoS might not expect. Bigi too if there is a plan B although many don’t believe so because of budget or philosophy! 

If there is an upside to Saturday it's that we that we are pretty much left with two must win games and should therefore anticipate two spectacles with much higher tempo and focus from the team than there ordinarily might have been. There should be no leisurely cantering through the final two fixtures now.

There may well have been some mitigating circumstances for the result on Saturday like Dunne's injury, or two players playing their first games in six months but the reality is if they are serious about progressing in this competition they threw away their "luxury" of being able use it to use as an opportunity to get minutes into legs as Robinson put it. There's a fair bit more pressure on them now than needed to be.

It's going to be an interesting night.

4 new signings on the bench. Can’t help but thinking one or two signings of real quality, straight into the team pedigree would have suited us better this year. 

Guess competition for places could bring out the best in the team?

However with a squad this big I struggle to see 2 things happening that I personally find enjoyable about supporting Motherwell.

1. Opportunities to see youth players break through.

2.  A close group of players all confident in each other’s ability and clear on their own role. 

Robinson mentioned on Saturday, Hartley was out for 7 months and isn't very close to match fitness - he alluded to dropping him for this game.

I think I read/heard Main picked up a knock too, but I don't remember where.