The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Looking at the groups I don't think we'll be seeded. St Johnstone, Ross County, Kilmarnock and Ayr/Partick should get 11 or 12 points.

It looks like we will be unseeded but we should end with a better record than Killie

Carson had to make three saves in the first 8 minutes but after that we were fairly comfortable, our first goal took a lot of the wind out of their sails.

Decent first half performance.   Bowman and Sammon linked up well and there was noticeably fewer high balls being played.  Sammon is a better player with balls to his feet if tonight is anything to go by.

Sammon was pretty clinical in taking his goals (although he probably should have got his hat trick with a couple of chances in the 2nd half) but for me the star man was Chris Cadden.

Looked back to his best tonight although he did reasonably well in the group stages last season before falling away.  However if he can take his form from tonight into the Premiership we will have a decent player back.

2nd half wasn't quite up to the same standard and Carson pulled off another very good save from Dobbie but at 2-0 up and  fairly comfortable, with that one exception, you can live with that.

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Aye should have been Dunfermline and Livi rather than Killie.

Ayr away will do fine.

Take all but the ugly two at home home and away from home any of the lower league clubs or Livingston.

Even if we don't top the group as long as we do not lose to Clyde we should progress to Round 2

Didnt make the game tonight however one thing seems to come back again from all 3 games and that's the 2nd half performance. We seem to fall away at half time. Although from accounts on here it was a better performance tonight I still worry about how we are going to deal with the 2nd half of games. I don't want to be negative and hope that it will all be sorted out for our opening league game.

11 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Didnt make the game tonight however one thing seems to come back again from all 3 games and that's the 2nd half performance. We seem to fall away at half time. Although from accounts on here it was a better performance tonight I still worry about how we are going to deal with the 2nd half of games. I don't want to be negative and hope that it will all be sorted out for our opening league game.

Against Stranraer we were rotten from the start and got a 'little' better in the second, at least in terms of attacking and putting pressure on the opposition goal.  Edinburgh the game was won at half time and more often than not when a team scores that many in the first half they often switch off in the 2nd.  Tonight, we were 2-0 and fairly comfortable and at this stage in the season I don't see talking the foot off as a big problem.

One worry I would have though was defensively, against lower league teams, we've not looked great.  Stranraer should have scored at least three against us on Saturday and had other chances besides while tonight QoS started strongly and three decent chances in the opening minutes.  Once we took the lead they lost a lot of their puff but although we've only conceded 1 goal in the three games our defensive solidity would be the major concern for me at this point. 

Need to get the video analysis out and have a look at whats happening and how it can be stopped.

12 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Against Stranraer we were rotten from the start and got a 'little' better in the second, at least in terms of attacking and putting pressure on the opposition goal.  Edinburgh the game was won at half time and more often than not when a team scores that many in the first half they often switch off in the 2nd.  Tonight, we were 2-0 and fairly comfortable and at this stage in the season I don't see talking the foot off as a big problem.

One worry I would have though was defensively, against lower league teams, we've not looked great.  Stranraer should have scored at least three against us on Saturday and had other chances besides while tonight QoS started strongly and three decent chances in the opening minutes.  Once we took the lead they lost a lot of their puff but although we've only conceded 1 goal in the three games our defensive solidity would be the major concern for me at this point. 

Need to get the video analysis out and have a look at whats happening and how it can be stopped.

To be fair Edinburgh never troubled us and we’ve been without two of our first choice back three in two of the three games with Hartley and Kipre not fully fit. With all three back and up to speed they are more than capable with Carson behind them.

Some promise shown tonight with things starting to take shape which is what these games are for and finding the best eleven for the Hibs game.

For me the team looks better with McHugh out of the midfield and again had an assured performance at the back.

Cads and Campbell could have a tremendous season on tonight’s showing with Campbell being immense and Cads looking like his old self, Carson should never have got to the header in the second half it was absolutely word class.

Two final points first hat off to Gary Naismith who apologised right away to Robbo after his player assaulted Bowman and lastly was disguted with Robbo at his treatment of Kipre berated him repeatedly and the aimed a ball at him totally  out of order.

17 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Noticed that. He better hope Cedric doesn't do a Lionel.

It is callled tough love. To be honest I liked the fact that Robbo was going mental even when we were winning. He sets high standards and / or has high expectations - that is no bad thing. Too much and players may get pissed off, but I think he has the man Management skills to get them sorted off field. Better that than the Malpas frozen statue approach from the sidelines. 

Kudos to Sammon. 2 well taken goals and let’s hope he is up and running. Cannot challenge for a header for toffee, but I think he will do OK for us. 

Carson, Cadden and Sammon my MOM with very decent performances from Campbell and McHugh. On the latter he is just a better player in defence than midfield which may be his undoing when Hartley and Dunne are fit. 

The whole not being seeded is a worry. I do remember last year thinking (iirc) when Hibs were unseeded and ended up drawing someone like Dunfermline at home and us a a seeded team Ross County away - what advantage was that. But u can bet your house on us drawing the old firm away or the other 2 involved in Europe. Just the way it seems to work for us. 

We still need to beat Clyde first - hopefully another proefessional performance will achieve that. 

After the highs and lows of supporting Motherwell for 40 plus years i should know better than to complain after winning..

but...

the hoof ball tactics adopted tonight are truly depressing, long diagonal balls to the front two every time an angle to play them was on. Sammon i have to say was excellent at holding them up and laying them off.

The only role of the midfield appears to be to scrap for any loose ball headed back into the middle of the park. That is all they are there to do.

and woe betide any of the defence who didnt lump it up the park. At the first break in play Robinson would tear into them individually for not hoofing it.. Embarassing behaviour.

Hard to feel excited about what lies ahead. Even allowing for how fickle i’m willing to be when my team is winning, it should not be the way football is played

Decent enough performance. Fantastic to see Cadden at full steam and Sammon with two very well taken goals, particularly his second.  

I didn't think there was a great deal to get excited about beyond that, particularly from the new signings. Johnson had a few decent moments but that's the second time in 4 days I've watched Taylor Sinclair play and I've yet to see what attributes he brings to the team. 

I also have no problem with long ball tactics if it's effective, but that last 30 minutes of punting it up to Sammon was absolutely brutal. A complete gamble every time with a pretty low success rate. If ever there was a time to try and play some possession football surely it's 2-0 up against lower league opposition.  We did it in spells, then resorted to the punt - better teams will take advantage of that no bother.

The one good thing is that we know the core of last years team still have much more to offer so there's plenty of room for improvement. 

I agree in so far as we tend to hoof the ball up front far too often and when we try and play on the deck - either through the middle or down the sides we can play some nice stuff. 

But for all that this team and Manager and tactics have proven to be effective last season and even so far this. I have supported Motherwell for over 40years and plenty of sides I have watched would have made tonight a hell of a lot more uncomfortable and possibly even cocked it up !

I would love us to play like Barcelona or even remotely close but I think too many on here forget wha our budget is and what type of players that affords us.