The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

A win was important last night and we got it but it would have been nice to get three and edge Queens out on goal difference; we'll just have to beat Clyde now.  

A decent overall team performance although the midfield looked very shaky in the opening 10 minutes or so.  Queens were also given acres of space on our left flank for much of the game and a better side would have made that count. Enough of the negatives though.  The defence looked reasonably solid with Kipre improving and McHugh playing well.  Midfield played played reasonably well but lacked a bit of creativity at times.   The pick of the bunch were Cadden and Campbell. Cadden had no right to survive the 90 minutes given the treatment that was dished out to him but he did and was one of our est players.  I thought Sammon was our best player  - just.  Not quite the player many have labelled him...a slow, ponderous, big target man.  He was surprisingly quick and has a deft touch as he showed with his goals.  An intelligent player in the Higdon mould who can bring other players into the game and create chances.   Johnson looked lively when he came on and ATS did ok.  

Queens were a very streetwise outfit who possessed a bit of pace, but other than in the first 6 minutes or so when they had 4 efforts on target didn't create very  much  with the exception of the attempt which brought out an amazing one handed save by Carson.   They were fortunate to have 11 men on the pitch at full time.

We played some decent football on the deck for example our first goal but overall lost out a bit in the air, moreso than I would have expected.  

A decent night's work in that players hade more game time and we won.  Some weaknesses to work on though.  Bring on Clyde.      

For as much as I wasn't overly excited about the Sammon signing having watched him regularly at Sheffield United (although acknowledging new club/fresh start...and he's proving that to be the right approach), I'd say anyone that had the opinion that he's slow has never actually watched or paid attention to him...or is just repeating rhetoric. He's absolutely rapid on a Charlie Dunne level, and always has been.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Katie said:

Highlight of the second half was the QotS goalkeeper kung-fu kicking the defender who had scythed down Bowman. 

I think that was the highlight for the boys on the Mixlr commentary too.

• Haha 2

First time back at FP in a while last night so obviously good to see a win.  All told, I thought we did what was required without ever really setting the heather on fire, however at this stage in the (pre) season I don't think we could expect much more.

I was very impressed with big Sammon though, I had always seen him as more in the Curtis Main style battering ram, however he was surprisingly good with the ball at his feet, looked to play others in several times and took his goals well.  It was a pity that we resorted to route-1 stuff in the last 20 minutes or so of the game as he looked more effective being played in.  Would have been interesting to see him with someone like Bigi as I think Sammon's strengths would work well with someone with more of an eye for a threaded pass.  

Cadden was the standout (as others have said), looked hungry and a lot more akin to the Cadden of a couple of years back when he first broke through.  Campbell was also solid, and Rose did his usual donkey work with aplomb.  At the back, Cedric looked a bit shaky although it was good to see him going on a few wanders up through the midfield.  McHugh was excellent I thought, the whole team looked more balanced with him in defence - it'll be interesting to see how we accommodate him and Hartley without sacrificing something from the midfield.  Ultimately if Cedric leaves then moving McHugh back permanently would be a no-brainer.

Elsewhere, Frear looked more dangerous in the second half when he remembered he can run, Liam Donnelly looked a bit of a bombscare and ATS showed a few nice touches when he came on. 

All things considered I'm quite positive for the season ahead providing that the new signings come on to a game.  It's clear that the focus of Robinson's recruitment so far has been to give us more strength in depth along very similar lines to what we already have, rather than trying to drastically change the way we play.  Assuming we don't lose anyone (although it wouldn't surprise me if a couple were away), our first XI is strong but the test will be when injuries and suspensions start to bite.  With any luck we won't have the same drop off in form that we saw in November/December.  As ever, so much will depend on how other teams around us have strengthened, although outwith what you'd probably think of as the top 4 no-one seems to have made huge strides.

Think ATS is a proper left back. Something we've been lacking. Donnelly looked nervous for the first 20 mins or so. McHugh really assured in central defence. Sammon took his goals superbly. Hope Bowman is ok. That was some dunt he got. He was playing well and looking sharp. Rose im sorry i just dont get it. I'd play Bigi or Rodriguez any day.

Well what can I say, I bought my first season ticket for six years ,and now that I’m 60 £175 is a great deal.  But do I really want to go along every other week and watch what you guys call “hoof ball “........sorry nah no really. 

I will give give it a few months though and if it’s still the same .......

3 minutes ago, postiejim said:

Well what can I say, I bought my first season ticket for six years ,and now that I’m 60 £175 is a great deal.  But do I really want to go along every other week and watch what you guys call “hoof ball “........sorry nah no really. 

Good story. Do let us know how you get on as the season progresses........

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, postiejim said:

Anyone who think's we play hoof football doesn't have a fucking clue what they're watching.  You know there is an inbetween tika-taka and hoof ball, and we fit in nicely between the two.  

1 minute ago, Wellfan1984 said:

Anyone who think's we play hoof football doesn't have a fucking clue what they're watching.  You know there is an inbetween tika-taka and hoof ball, and we fit in nicely between the two.  

............................ and clearly you do :P. It's been 'hoof ball' in the first 3 competitve matches of this season no matter how you want to dress it up and it's shit to watch into the bargain :dash2:.

• Thanks 1

There was some hoofball last night but thought there was plenty examples when we got it down and played, also recirculating the ball along the back line which then had some behind me moaning we weren't getting it forward quickly enough.......can't please all of the people all of the time I guess.....as long as we vary it and play it at the right time a quick long ball out of defence can be very effective, if we rely on it all the time then less so. From whst I have seen there was a bit more variation last night until the last 20 minutes when we went 4-5-1 to shut the game down, something which plenty on here moaned we hadn't done under previous regimes.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Wellfan1984 said:

:laugh::laugh: We play hoof ball and you need to open your eyes

6 hours ago, Al B said:

For as much as I wasn't overly excited about the Sammon signing having watched him regularly at Sheffield United (although acknowledging new club/fresh start...and he's proving that to be the right approach), I'd say anyone that had the opinion that he's slow has never actually watched or paid attention to him...or is just repeating rhetoric. He's absolutely rapid on a Charlie Dunne level, and always has been.

He’s not slow, but he can be extremely half arsed when not in the mood and never get up to speed. I don’t think it’s a lack of ability with him just attitude at times.

15 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

There was some hoofball last night but thought there was plenty examples when we got it down and played, also recirculating the ball along the back line which then had some behind me moaning we weren't getting it forward quickly enough.......can't please all of the people all of the time I guess.....as long as we vary it and play it at the right time a quick long ball out of defence can be very effective, if we rely on it all the time then less so. From whst I have seen there was a bit more variation last night until the last 20 minutes when we went 4-5-1 to shut the game down, something which plenty on here moaned we hadn't done under previous regimes.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

You need to stop posting here. Far too balanced and observant a remark. Hang your head in shame.

1 hour ago, DEWELL said:

Think ATS is a proper left back. Something we've been lacking. Donnelly looked nervous for the first 20 mins or so. McHugh really assured in central defence. Sammon took his goals superbly. Hope Bowman is ok. That was some dunt he got. He was playing well and looking sharp.

Rose im sorry i just dont get it. I'd play Bigi or Rodriguez any day.

It's great how people see things differently.  I thought Rose was excellent last night doing the job in front of the back three that McHugh did last season without being caught in possession  and giving the ball away regularly. 

• Like 1

Sammon is quick when he gets up to speed. He might be a decent signing but I think most fans were hoping that the final striker slot would be someone who adds a bit of variety to the attack and the potential to develop into a sellable asset.

Rose has done what is required in the two games but I don't he makes enough tackles to be our holding midfielder.

Dearly me, some people on here should support Aberdeen Just sheep, somebody throws in “ hoof ball” and everybody jumps on it what a lot of shite. 

Just my opinion mind you.

If you dislike the style of football that much, don’t fucking go. For me the results are more important than the style.

Sammon is a different option in as much as he's most effective when the ball's played to his feet. You watch his goals on youtube and 99% of the time he's taking a man on or being passed into a shooting chance.

If we plan to use him as another big target man for long, high balls, we won't get the best out of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soapy Soutar said:

Dearly me, some people on here should support Aberdeen Just sheep, somebody throws in “ hoof ball” and everybody jumps on it what a lot of shite. 

Just my opinion mind you.

If you dislike the style of football that much, don’t fucking go. For me the results are more important than the style.

Think the main point is that it is too bloody predictable and teams are reading it too easily now. We don't seem to have a plan B. Results preseason is fine but I am sure that if we continue to play this way then we may struggle as premiership teams are a bit more savvy to our style now. As for not going just because you don't like the style of football, deary me.

8 hours ago, Well Well said:

Think the main point is that it is too bloody predictable and teams are reading it too easily now. We don't seem to have a plan B. Results preseason is fine but I am sure that if we continue to play this way then we may struggle as premiership teams are a bit more savvy to our style now. As for not going just because you don't like the style of football, deary me.

But he's right, at least in part.  Mud sticks so easily in football that when the claim is made that we're just long  ball merchants some folk will accept it without a second thought. Like last season we were the dirtiest bastards in the league because Rangers lost to us and spat the dummy backed up by Brendan Rodgers seeing an opportunity to put ideas into referees heads and suddenly you've all and sundry wailing for non-existent fouls and arseholes like Neil Lennon screaming about protecting McGinn against us when the wee dick had spent the full game kicking anyone that moved in claret and amber.

Absolutely  there  are Motherwell fans out there who will genuinely believe our game is hoofball 100% of the time. Heard and seen it repeated often enough that every long ball they see just reinforces what they've come to believe is the case and are now becoming blind to what is actually the case.

Do we utilise the long ball?  Yes we do. Overly so at times when what is actually our primary tactic of getting the ball crossed in from wide areas isn't working.  And when done too often it is unquestionably to our detriment such as Saturday past. But some would have you believe this is our only tactic but that's just not the case.  How did we manage to score our first last night if we're just a long ball side?  That's not entirely uncommon, Cadden did much the same the previous week too.  How did we come to end up we having Frear, who missed however many games, being the player who put most crosses into the box last season if all we do is put long balls up the park? How does Tait seem to get as many assists if all we do is punt long balls?

Now you can certainly question the aesthetics of primarily wanting to get balls into the box from wide areas and you can perfectly justifiably make a claim that a quick tempo possession based style that moves the ball on the ground at speed can offer more entertainment value but If you genuinely believe that the only thing Motherwell offer is hoof-ball then I'd agree you're following a particular flock rather acknowledging we have more than a single way of playing the game.

• Like 7