The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

1 minute ago, DEWELL said:

Donnelly was dodgy again today and with Hartley playing as poor we need changes at the back . 

Do none of you remember that Dunney was crap first few weeks, but look how he turned out........players that come from the National League need time to adjust to the pace of the Scottish game. Same goes for Gorrin.

1 hour ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Cadden and Campbell have been equally as bad as rose but that’s not getting mentioned

Campbell was the worst of a dreadful midfield today but no one came out with any credit. An utterly woeful  performance with very little football against  let’s remember a league two team. Nothing in midfield with the defence all over the place, Hartley is simply not fit, that’s obvious to everyone. Donnelly looked shaky but it is early days for him and he could well improve, Kipre well below his usual standard. I’m still not a fan of Sammon i’m afraid. It was a windy day and and artificial pitch and i’m rarely this negative but came away today feeling pretty despondent.

First time I've seen us this season and it wasn't pretty. 

Back three looked iffy all day, marginally better with McHugh but given so much of last season's relative success was down do being hard to beat, it's a major concern. 

Midfield seemed to disappear for long periods, particularly in the first half. Gorrin definitely improved things. 

Main was dreadful. For me, he's done next to nothing since the semi final. If Bowman is unavailable, I'd be starting Johnson and Sammon.  

And finally a word on Elliot Frear. I know he frustrates the life out of people by being conservative and not always taking his man on. Problem is that you're judging him as a winger when he's playing at wing back and if he loses possession, there's no full back behind him to cover. Frustrating as he may be, he still set up two of our goals today...

Does anyone remember the McCall days when we used to go out of cups at the earliest opportunity ?

Then, people would say, never mind how we play, just win the fuckin' tie..........

• Like 2

Hartley and Main were rusty. Donnelly was shoehorned into that left side of the back 3 and wasn’t our worst defender. All three conspired to give away that goal, but Hartley is the main culprit. We’re going to miss Dunne.

Cadden was the only one who really showed he’s from a level above the opposition, the rest seemed to bring themselves down to Clyde’s level.

Gorrin got pushed around to start with, and looks like he’s going to need time to find his feet in the Scottish game.

Johnson looks like he’ll get his fair share of goals, and you can’t argue with Sammon’s return so far.

Overall I thought we did well to not panic and stick to what we thought would work, and it did. We simply had more in the tank in the last 15 minutes. It’s terrible to watch, but this is how it’s going to be as long as Robinson is in charge.

I can only assume Bigi is gone, damn shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, fizoxy said:

Hartley and Main were rusty. Donnelly was shoehorned into that left side of the back 3 and wasn’t our worst defender. All three conspired to give away that goal, but Hartley is the main culprit. We’re going to miss Dunne.

Cadden was the only one who really showed he’s from a level above the opposition, the rest seemed to bring themselves down to Clyde’s level.

Gorrin got pushed around to start with, and looks like he’s going to need time to find his feet in the Scottish game.

Johnson looks like he’ll get his fair share of goals, and you can’t argue with Sammon’s return so far.

Overall I thought we did well to not panic and stick to what we thought would work, and it did. We simply had more in the tank in the last 15 minutes. It’s terrible to watch, but this is how it’s going to be as long as Robinson is in charge.

I can only assume Bigi is gone, damn shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure why Bigi is even on the bench, if he could not get on today after the first half why is he even there ?

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Rodriguez was a waste of a sub. He hasn't lifted the pace at all.

Shows how we all see it differently..........I couldn’t disagree more, thought nearly everything good we did in the 2nd half came through him. Got on the ball, dictated play, picked the right passes and even put his foot in at times. Think he really showed up how poor Rose, Campbell and Cadden were. Not getting the chat that Cadden had a good game today, couple of good crosses in the 1st half, apart from that did nothing. Only Rodriguez, Frear, Carson and Johnson with pass marks for me.

• Like 3

Pretty poor performance today. There were plenty mitigating factors (wind, pitch, early injury to McHugh). Its clear a lot of our players are struggling for fitness, particularly Hartley. But the only way they will get fitter is playing games (Remember Hartley hasnt played for 7 months).

However, we really need to find a formula to try and maximise the performance levels from the squad. Once again today, our tactics were one dimensional and far too predictable against a team that were more than comfortable defending with the ball in front of them. All we had first half were long balls to Main and Sammon who play too far apart to support one another and balls out to Frear who either has no confidence at all or is being told not to risk leaving space in behind him.

Second half was a bit better. Gorrin looks comfortable on the ball and dictated the play better. This seemed to give Frear a bit more space and time on the ball, although the number of times we chose to punt long when he was in acres of space down the left was frustrating.

Good finishes from Johnson and Sammon for their goals. Good to get the job done but it wasnt pretty and still much work to be done if we are gonna get the best out of this squad and have another successful season.

Alarm bells ringing on the way out of a baltic Broadwood today. The defence, which was our key strength last season, is an utter shambles. Hartley shouldn’t have been given the captaincy if there were doubts over his recovery from injury. Fingers crossed McHugh’s injury isn’t a bad one.

Going forward, we have very little quality and absolutely no guile. Frear was the one bright spot. I’m hoping Main is one of these big strikers that takes time to get up to speed but I’m not convinced.

Meanwhile, none of the new signings look like they are ready to hit the ground running. Early days but there isn’t much to get optimistic about at present, particularly when reliable players like Campbell and Kipre look off the boil. 

I actually thought that Gorrin made a difference when he came on. Always showed for the ball and moved it on quickly. 

People are saying that Main is rusty. Given his previous career, I'm wondering if he's reverting to type and the second half of last season was an anomaly. Obviously I'm hoping not. 

Hartley, we can only hope that his sharpness will come back. Loss of our quickest centre back for a few months at the same time makes the problem worse as Dunne's pace could have covered for Hartley while he gets up to speed. 

With Tanner and Dunne out for a while yet, we have to hope that we find a solution without them, or we could end up in real trouble...

• Like 1

Same old pre-season.

Same old pre-season comments.

The only difference this time is how many people are gutted Dunne is out for a few months. This time last year they were writing him off as a hopeless duffer. 

• Like 3

That was a horrendous watch but, as the cliché goes, cup football is all about getting into the hat for the next round. We all know we need to do MUCH better but for now, let’s just say mission accomplished and move on. The real test of where we are will be next Sunday at Easter Road against a  more than decent Hibs team. We will need to raise our game but I think we have it in us to do just that. I bloody hope so, cos watching more of what was dished up today means it will be a long, hard season. 

Got to agree in relation to the comments on Gorrin. The first half our midfield were anonymous and it was crying out for someone to try and get on the ball and play some passes. I definitely think he offered this. 

Game itself was atrocious first 60mins. Utterly awful and we look lethargic, one dimensional and just turgid. 

Picked up second half however. Certainly the result was more important than the performance.

Sammon is clearly more effective when the ball is played to his feet. Good header for the goal tho. The 

Defensivley is a cause for concern, none of them look sharp. Maguire certainly doesn’t offer any less than Donnelly that’s for sure. 

Considering Robinson’s continual emphasis on cross balls our delivery into the box is actually utter shite. Gorrin again however improved this at corners at least. 

Anyone know when the draw is? 

We won and are in the next round but barely.  Why the Clyde boy didn't shot at 2-1 when he was straight through only he knows.

Otherwise an utterly honking performance.  We look slow, laboured, devoid of skill, devoid of ideas, devoid of effort.  Just didn't look anything like a professional football team.

Anyone looking forward to Martin Boyle vs Peter Hartley next week?  Should be a hoot!

47 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Alarm bells ringing on the way out of a baltic Broadwood today. The defence, which was our key strength last season, is an utter shambles. Hartley shouldn’t have been given the captaincy if there were doubts over his recovery from injury. Fingers crossed McHugh’s injury isn’t a bad one.

The whole thing is a little bit bizarre.

First of all McHugh is playing in the middle of the three - where you'd expect the captain to be while Hartley is on the periphery.

Secondly, especially evident last week at Stranraer when you could hear the players, it was McHugh that was giving all the instructions, egging the team, chastising, encouraging, telling players what to do.  It certainly wasn't Hartley.

Hartley's not leading by example or behaving like you'd expect a captain to do.  So far at least he's essentially been a model for an armband.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Back 4 next week? Tait, Kipré, McHugh and Taylor-Sinclair?

ATS won't have the fitness required to handle Boyle but then again who else do we have one thing for sure Hartley should be nowhere near the team . Would like to see us go 4-4-2 next week  3 at the back until we get everybody up to speed would be asking for trouble