The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

By Christ that was brutal for at least 75 minutes. The amount of stray passes and poor crosses.....

We started not too badly but the injury to McHugh seems to have a negative impact or it was around that time we turned to complete shit. Hartley is a worry. Had a big part in costing the 1st goal and nearly sold the jerseys again in the 2nd half. I hope the 7 months out has not impacted him that much. He needs match fitness and it is to be expected to take time. But we do not have that luxury sadly. 

Frear was MOM by a distance. I thought the subs did well. Gorrin grew into a game and Johnson knows where the goal is even if it takes him several attempts :-) 

Not great but a win coming from 1-0behind on another shite plastic pitch in a howling gale. Another game we could so easily have lost or drawn but did not. 

Big improvements needed for the upcoming league games or we will have a woeful start. 

All that said I will wait till that happens before going on the we are sh1te offensive like many on here do as default mode regardless. 

Not being seeded is a bummer as it is almost a certain we will end up with one of the 4 Euro participating sides and probably away ! Just the way it seems to go......

Mitigating factors : a strong tricky wind; a horrible artificial pitch; early loss of McHugh who had looked confident and composed; lack of match fitness in Hartley in particular.

Inexcusable features:  not using Bigi who has more football intelligence and guile than the midfield put together  - and especially when hooking off a really out of sorts Campbell early ; Main and Sammon playing so far off each other that they carried no threat until Clyde ran out of steam; keeping Rose on the pitch.

Promise: Sammon scoring again; Frear showing glimpses of confidence going past his man; Rodriguez putting his foot on the ball and picking his passes.

I would love to see Rodriguez and Bigi play in the same team - it would give Main, Frear, Camden and Sammon more to work with and pose more goal threat. But we would need a lot more solidity at the back to even contemplate this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

By Christ that was brutal for at least 75 minutes. The amount of stray passes and poor crosses.....

We started not too badly but the injury to McHugh seems to have a negative impact or it was around that time we turned to complete shit. Hartley is a worry. Had a big part in costing the 1st goal and nearly sold the jerseys again in the 2nd half. I hope the 7 months out has not impacted him that much. He needs match fitness and it is to be expected to take time. But we do not have that luxury sadly. 

Frear was MOM by a distance. I thought the subs did well. Gorrin grew into a game and Johnson knows where the goal is even if it takes him several attempts :-) 

Not great but a win coming from 1-0behind on another shite plastic pitch in a howling gale. Another game we could so easily have lost or drawn but did not. 

Big improvements needed for the upcoming league games or we will have a woeful start. 

All that said I will wait till that happens before going on the we are sh1te offensive like many on here do as default mode regardless. 

Not being seeded is a bummer as it is almost a certain we will end up with one of the 4 Euro participating sides and probably away ! Just the way it seems to go......

its maybe no bad thing we aint seeded , in the Cups last year we got SPL sides nearly all the way and by the evidence of our displays against so called minnows (Stranraer and Clyde) a team from the lower leagues will cause us more bother. 

31 minutes ago, daver said:

I assume quite a few that were there yesterday saw Bowman walking up to the ground wearing one of those protective  moon boots- anyone hear how serious his injury or how long he's likely to be out for?

They reckon Bowman will be touch and go to make the hibs game so it doesn't sound like he will be out for too long.

10 hours ago, Hope Springs said:

Mitigating factors : a strong tricky wind; a horrible artificial pitch; early loss of McHugh who had looked confident and composed; lack of match fitness in Hartley in particular.

Anyone expecting to see a good game of football on that pitch was deluded.  That immediately influenced our performance. With the wind it was alwatys a case of just getting the job done, which we did.  McHugh's injury was also a blow.  Hartley and Donnelly's lack of match fitness is more of a concern.  

Just like last year, the group stage of the League Cup will count for nothing once the league begins.  My concern ahead of next Saturday is fielding a solid secure defence. I didn't like the fact or the way we lost the goal yesterday, but our 3 goals were the textbook way to win against a packed defence on a shocking pitch.

We haven't been the only Premiership to struggle in the group stage.

We won, we qualified, unlike Accies,  and now move on.           

• Like 1

I agree about the pitch, but the conditions yesterday meant the best approach was to keep passes short and the ball on the deck. Hitting long balls that got caught in the wind and bounched away when they landed, was the opposite of wht was required.

I know it's a pipe dream, but the sooner we get rid of plastic in the top flight, the better - not looking forward to those games this season. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I know it's a pipe dream, but the sooner we get rid of plastic in the top flight, the better - not looking forward to those games this season. 

Sadly it’s never going to happen, especially in the lower leagues where every penny is a prisoner. However, I would ban it’s use in the premiership.

15 hours ago, weeyin said:

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put background muzak on the game highlights, but if you're reading this, PLEASE STOP.

Yep, it's awful. 

The new 'story of the match' videos are absolute quality though.

8 minutes ago, CoF said:

Yep, it's awful. 

The new 'story of the match' videos are absolute quality though.

Absolutely. I'm a big fan of the videos we produce. The highlights' muzak seems to be a new thing and not just unnecessary, but very grating.