The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

1 minute ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Listening to the enthusiastic Hartley on mixlr, I got the impression we had a right good go. Maybe not.

This was always going to be a tough season given the lack of quality recruited in the summer. Focus now has to steer away from a relegation battle. 

We're in one and at present we will be one of the main players.  As said previously, there's no cup run to mask our brutal league form which has to be addressed.

2 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Listening to the enthusiastic Hartley on mixlr, I got the impression we had a right good go. Maybe not.

This was always going to be a tough season given the lack of quality recruited in the summer. Focus now has to steer away from a relegation battle. 

In a way we did, but a lot of it was blood and snotters. We hadn't got to the point where we earned the right to try passing the ball....

1 minute ago, The African said:

3-5-2 is not the worst idea in the footballing world, but you do need the players capable of adapting to it. Some speed and mobility in the defensive 3 and wing backs who can contribute in both attacking and defending aspects of the role.

Yes, it works when you've got a Rab McKinnon and a Rab Shannon.

When you try to replace Rab McKinnon with Elliot Frear, it doesn't.

Signing an attacking left back has been a priority for a couple of years now.

We needed a sub after the goal to shore us up and we would have had a fourth for ET. 

We showed good character and effort but quality was badly lacking. The first 30 minutes of the second half was horrendous and a bad indictment of the manager. For all the supposed strengthening we are still looking to Grimshaw and Frear....

• Like 1

No real shape to the team and a lot of aimless kicking (Although Bigi could have used that) Considering how disjointed we are, we can still run the "top" teams pretty close, so I have got to think that a few changes from the manager and we could be alright. I think we have a few winnable games coming up so I'm willing to wait and see how we look after those.

I still think our only major F*** up has been against Accies but we have to make sure we minimize the number of F ups through the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We needed a sub after the goal to shore us up and we would have had a fourth for ET. 

We showed good character and effort but quality was badly lacking. The first 30 minutes of the second half was horrendous and a bad indictment of the manager. For all the supposed strengthening we are still looking to Grimshaw and Frear....

Absolutely spot on mate.

41 minutes ago, swami said:

I really like Stephen Robinson, but for him to suggest that Main and Bowman were excellent tonight leads me to believe that he may be on crack. 

Agreed. Penalty apart Main couldn’t strike a ball, sclaffed  everything. I genuinely believe Johnson in the first half would have scored one of the chances he had. 

Bigi’s mistake took all the pressure from Hearts and gave them the impetus at a killing time. 

Every game at the moment we make a mistake and get punished for it. 

• Like 1

Can someone tell me what happened in that horendous second half , first half was fine hustled them all time ,knocked them off their game ,full of effort and had some good chances .

Many theories for second half crap .Terrible halftime talk by manager, we were going for extra time and penalties, Hearts changed their formation, we were knackered, we changed our tactics , we never kept up the tempo and fell back deeper every  10 minutes .Worst 45 iv seen all season . Disappointed to say the least.

Immediate thoughts..

I don't really agree with Robinson and some others assessment of the match. This wasn't a brilliant performance by any means. We were decent in spells but quite disjointed.

We started well but Hearts quickly grow into the game after the penalty. Bigi's mistake was absolutely horrendous at this level. He had a shocker overall. 

From there Hearts had total control and had various chances. 2nd half we came out and managed to play even worse.

There was a 15 minute period where we actually didn't seem to win a single header or challenge. We sat deeperand deeper and to me Hearts could have had 2 or 3 easily. We had some decent blocks in there so credit where it's due for that I suppose.

It's just disappointing at the moment. I know Hearts are a much stronger team but I don't feel like we are playing to our full potential just now. The midfield balance looked off to me, I think we lacked Rose's legs in there.

In terms of positives I thought Cadden looked a lot better in spells than he has been recently. Bowman's overall performance, hold up play and goal were fantastic. He deserves his place in the team back. I actually thought Donnelly done well too, someone I hadn't been too sure about.

I don't think we should have any kneejerk reaction here but I think it's fair to question the current form and this constant chatter that 'decisions aren't going for us but we are playing well'.

Ultimately we have had a hard run of fixtures and I still have faith in the guys to beat the teams around us over the next month or so.

• Like 2

^ good post.

Looking at the teams we've had to play so far this season, it has been a particularly dreadful start, it's been "not great". 5 of the next 6 games you would class as "winnable", we'll know much more about our season when Rangers visit mid-November.

Would like to see us line up like this on Saturday...

Carson

Tait

Hartley

Aldred

ATS

Cadden

Campbell

Bigi

Frear

Johnson

Bowman

"Four, four, fucking two."

9 hours ago, prideoflanarkshire said:

Our shape is dreadful...every single week we allow teams to take their time and give them lots of space to cross balls in and it’s killing us. 

Said it over and over we have no pace in our team.

I wasn't there last night and so can't comment on the game but your points above could apply to almost any game this season.  Other sides with similar budgets like St Johnstone, Accies and Livingston make opposing sides work very hard indeed to cross balls or approach their penalty areas. We don't for some reason.  Is it down to lack of organisation or lack of effort when not in possession or wrong tactics or players? 

Our defence hasn't been great this season and I myself have criticised them on occasion but by god they receive no protection from our midfield.  Game after game they're left exposed and its no surprise that cracks appear and goals are lost.