The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

Just watched the highlights of the Hearts game and they're not quite what I expected.  Apart from Heart's 4th goal when we were chasing the game, the first 3 were characterised by very, very poor defending. Ok they were well taken.  The midfield sat far too deep and depsite that, Hearts found acres of space in and around our penalty box. Even at the first when Bigi messed up the organisation and general defending was shocking.  Not quite the individual blunder I previously thought. Probably the worst goal from a defensive point of view was the third - a good finish but again Hearts were given acres of room -  a classic lesson for every schoolboy on how not to defend.

No-one looked to be in charge or organising at the back.  Maybe we missed Hartley more than we thought. The defending looked so bad you wouldn't know where to start rectifying it.   

The one positive bit was Bowman's goal- an absolute cracker. 

I was really, really disappointed with our display on Wednesday night. Hearts were quicker, stronger, more physical, better organised than we were, and we just weren't at the races at all. If we had managed to sneak it into extra-time courtesy of Bowmans great goal, it would have been borderline criminal. We looked weak and vulnerable in defence with Donnelly looking like really poor, while we looked utterly clueless out wide and toothless up front. The midfield got completely bullied, with Bigi and Grimshaw in particular all over the place at times. The way Hearts dealt with us was, the way that the Old Firm usually deal with us away from home, and for me the result was a foregone conclusion as soon as Bigirimana fucked up just outside his own box.

I've been a big defender of the manager, and I generally like to see football managers given the benefit of the doubt and plenty of time to work with a team and/or redeem themselves for poor results and performances, but I'm getting to the stage where I'm struggling to make a case for Robinson based on our league form since Christmas. 

• Thanks 1