The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

• 1 month later...

So we're off and running then.  Well not quite we exactly but you know what I mean...

Taking a nosey at the games in our group yesterday I see there were a couple of old foes involved in Gary Harkins at Queen of the South, who somehow seems to pop up against us season after season for some team or other and obviously there's Goodwillie at Clyde.

QOTS on the face of it would appear to be the biggest threat to finishing first so it might well have been handy had Stranraer not blown their two goal lead but I would like to think that we'll be meeting them with six points out of six, and our fitness and match sharpness tuned a bit more, before we meet whatever challenge they bring.

With Accies amusingly losing at Annan (again!) and with St Johnstone being taken to penalties by East Fife I suppose from the first round of games there's enough of a warning there to show what can happen in your first game back if you aren't quite on it.

Looking forward to Tuesday. It seems like it will be a team selection tailored around current levels of sharpness rather than perhaps a perceived first choice starting eleven but, as ever, it would be good to win and perhaps like at Hampden last season to get a few different scorers off the mark for the season.

Went to the QOS v Stranraer game was a lot of fun but think we should be able to beat both fairly comfortably! QOS had harkins as part of a two in the middle and Stranraer easily passed round him and any balls into the channels caused chaos at the back! 

Stranraer were decent on the ball and kept plugging away but with joe hammil at Center half we should cause them problems and should be able to deal with there forward who looks quick and strong for that level

29 minutes ago, Haggischomper said:

Surely Donnelly would get a start?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Only reason I didn't mention Donnelly is Robinson said the players that came from the English leagues were behind in their fitness (because they hadn't played for about 10 weeks). 

Cant speak for the Crusaders game but having watched games v Darlington and Dunfermline.  Am I correct in believing  Donnelly wasn't subbed. Would indicate a desire to get match fit to play. Team selection who knows. 352 or 442. Last years early rounds had some experiments player wise but this year not so many new faces to fit in.

Cant speak for the Crusaders game but having watched games v Darlington and Dunfermline.  Am I correct in believing  Donnelly wasn't subbed. Would indicate a desire to get match fit to play. Team selection who knows. 352 or 442. Last years early rounds had some experiments player wise but this year not so many new faces to fit in.
Donnelly subbed at ht v Dunfermline

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

No idea what kind of team we start tonight. We should be thinking about goal difference for a seeded spot and keeping the foot down for 90 minutes.

Frear set the tone for his season in Edinburgh 12 months ago. You would imagine given our dearth of creativty he'll get a chance to get a better start tonight.

23 minutes ago, steelboy said:

No idea what kind of team we start tonight. We should be thinking about goal difference for a seeded spot and keeping the foot down for 90 minutes.

Frear set the tone for his season in Edinburgh 12 months ago. You would imagine given our dearth of creativty he'll get a chance to get a better start tonight.

Elliot Fear as he's known further towards the back of the stand. Now I know you are at it...

3 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Did he not score the winner the last time we played them? I seem to remember most of the starters having a stroll until Edinburgh opened the scoring.

Scored the winner but was dire for 90 minutes before that. He was scared to run at a right back who had probably done a shift during the day.

47 minutes ago, Kat said:

Team for tonight:

Gillespie, Tait, McHugh, Dunne, Donnelly, Cadden, Campbell, Rose, Main, Frear, Bowman,

Subs: Morrison, Taylor-Sinclair, Gorrin, Grimshaw, Turnbull, Sammon, Johnson

442, I'm assuming? Or a 352 with a midfield three of Campbell, Rose and Cadden with Frear and Tait at wing back...