The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

McHugh strolled through this game. Not one pass went astray and he was fairly lobbing them about the pitch. He looked very relaxed and won every tackle and header. What a difference. Apart from that we took our goals well and sat back really in the 2nd half. Gorrin looks comfortable on the ball, with some nice touches and passes and was always looking for the ball. 

Very easy night for the boys. I thought we did decent in the first half and were pretty ruthless in front of goal. To be perfectly honest, Edinburgh were very bad. Even for League 2 level I thought they looked poor and unfit. End of the day though, you only need to look at the St Mirren result to see that it's not always that easy.

Main incentive of going last night for me was to see the new boys, only got bits and pieces and I appreciate it's still very early on but initial thoughts:

Gillespie - thought he looked assured enough minus the kick out which he appeared to botch?

Donnelly - looks like he is rugid enough and his passing was fine apart from a couple of moments

Rodriguez - pretty encouraged, looks to be technically gifted and quite slick on the ball like we hoped for. Appears to like a tackle too which i was pleasantly surprised about.

Sammon - looked to put himself about without doing loads.

Johnson - not really sure what kind of striker he is. Didn't appear to be that pacey, suspect he's more of a poacher but remains to be seen i guess.

From the original boys, I thought McHugh shone with his passing, reminiscent of his role in his first season. I think he looks a lot better at the back where he has a bit more time to pick his pass. Problem is there is 3 centre backs who will be ahead of him so I'm not sure where he will slot in. Not entirely sure where Cadden was playing, he seemed to in a middle role but then be all over the park with a more roaming role. Going to be interesting to see where he lines up this season but I'm still not convinced that through the middle is the best place for him. Prefer Cadds as a winger but obviously our system doesn't suit in that regard.

We actually seem like we are totallly overloaded with central midfield options with the likes of McHugh, Campbell, Rose, Bigi, Turnbull, Tanner, Cadden, Gorrin and Grimshaw all appearing to be there for the new season. My hope would be that we can move Bigi on and maybe get another attacking wide option with a bit of quality. We seem to be well covered now overall and the squad is in good shape depth wise.

Class performance from Frear btw, hoping Robinson can get that out him more often this season. All in all a good confidence boost.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, milo said:

Some queues to get in last night.

What was that all about?

Never saw much evidence of queues but will say that I had bought a ticket for the POD primarily to get registered and thought "print at home" was available, handy for me being 35 miles away. Also it appeared that cash and tickets were being taken at the same turnstile contrary to what i believed was to be the case.  Stub was removed from ticket. scanned by hand machine and initialled so I guess it wasn't any quicker which should have been one of the objectives. Early days tho.

4 hours ago, Lukemfc1 said:

Very easy night for the boys. I thought we did decent in the first half and were pretty ruthless in front of goal. To be perfectly honest, Edinburgh were very bad. Even for League 2 level I thought they looked poor and unfit. End of the day though, you only need to look at the St Mirren result to see that it's not always that easy.

Main incentive of going last night for me was to see the new boys, only got bits and pieces and I appreciate it's still very early on but initial thoughts:

Gillespie - thought he looked assured enough minus the kick out which he appeared to botch?

Donnelly - looks like he is rugid enough and his passing was fine apart from a couple of moments

Rodriguez - pretty encouraged, looks to be technically gifted and quite slick on the ball like we hoped for. Appears to like a tackle too which i was pleasantly surprised about.

Johnson - not really sure what kind of striker he is. Didn't appear to be that pacey, suspect he's more of a poacher but remains to be seen i guess.

From the original boys, I thought McHugh shone with his passing, reminiscent of his role in his first season. I think he looks a lot better at the back where he has a bit more time to pick his pass. Problem is there is 3 centre backs who will be ahead of him so I'm not sure where he will slot in. Not entirely sure where Cadden was playing, he seemed to in a middle role but then be all over the park with a more roaming role. Going to be interesting to see where he lines up this season but I'm still not convinced that through the middle is the best place for him. Prefer Cadds as a winger but obviously our system doesn't suit in that regard.

We actually seem like we are totallly overloaded with central midfield options with the likes of McHugh, Campbell, Rose, Bigi, Turnbull, Tanner, Cadden, Gorrin and Grimshaw all appearing to be there for the new season. My hope would be that we can move Bigi on and maybe get another attacking wide option with a bit of quality. We seem to be well covered now overall and the squad is in good shape depth wise.

Class performance from Frear btw, hoping Robinson can get that out him more often this season. All in all a good confidence boost.

Agree with most of that. Not impressed by Sammon signing and thirty minutes or so neither added or lessened that opinion. Thought Cadden and Frear were given more freedom to play their best attributes and popped up every where including defending when required. Tait I thought had a great first half, not so much second and perhaps Cadden absence was a factor. He reads a game well and makes himself available for a pass.  

2 hours ago, Villageman said:

Never saw much evidence of queues but will say that I had bought a ticket for the POD primarily to get registered and thought "print at home" was available, handy for me being 35 miles away. Also it appeared that cash and tickets were being taken at the same turnstile contrary to what i believed was to be the case.  Stub was removed from ticket. scanned by hand machine and initialled so I guess it wasn't any quicker which should have been one of the objectives. Early days tho.

They spent ages letting everyone through the same turnstiles before splitting those with tickets like me and those paying cash.

6 hours ago, Lukemfc1 said:

Rodriquez looked the most promising of the new players to me, nice touch and always looking for the ball, Donnelly very solid although poor opposition so time will tell. I would agree i’m not sure what Johnstone is going to offer in truth. Sammon strolled around looking half interested offering very little.

2 hours ago, milo said:

Some queues to get in last night.

What was that all about?

They had 2 queues going into 1 turnstile (#1), then somehow ended up having the 2 queues cross as they made turnstile #2 available to the furthest away of the 2 queues. Never seen anything like it. Then it required 2 folk to scan tickets, 1 to take the ticket and hold it, while the guy scanned it, then they scribbled on the edge that they then ripped off. Utterly bizarre. PATG is less hassle.

2 hours ago, Villageman said:

Tait I thought had a great first half, not so much second and perhaps Cadden absence was a factor.

Absolutely.  Without Cadden beside him, Tait wasn't nearly as effective. In the second half our right flank lacked attacking ability.

McHugh looked assured and distributed the ball really well. He never put a foot wrong and that was pleasing to see. Rodriguez seems fairly accomplished and that holds a bit of promise for the season ahead. Campbell and Cadden are none the worse for a shortened break. Frear would appear to have a renewed appetite and the hat-trick can only have given him a confidence boost.  Thought Sammon gave a decent effort - showed for a lot of passes that were never made - so I don’t think we should be writing him off so early into his loan. He ought to have a hunger to prove himself as his loan and Hearts contract are both over after this season. 

In all events last night was a very decent start and as hood a way to give Robinson the beginning of the momentum he sets store by.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, steelboy said:

6/4 today to win with a clean sheet looks a decent bet, especially if Carson, Hartley and Kipre come back in.

Really should be winning all four group games but Stranraer away could be tricky. I suspect it'll be a late winner for us.. 

As Robbo has said it'll be a balancing act between giving more players game time and getting the job done.  I expect that Kipre and Hartley will start,  with maybe Taylor-Sinclair, Johnson and Sammon getting more game time.  It may not be easy but we should do it without too much trouble, if we display a professional attitude.   

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

It may not be easy but we should do it without too much trouble, if we display a professional attitude.   

Under Robbo I can honestly say when it comes to games like this my thoughts have gone from "Should win" like it was previous managers to "Will win".