The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

2 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Hopefully a right kick up the arse for them all. 

No amount of kicking is going to inject creativity into that group. Cadden is our only reliable creative option. Frear hasn't done it and Tanner is coming back from a very serious injury.

We need to sign a few players who can unlock a defence. Or play Bigi. Or not have put Hastie and Maclean out on loan.

The fact Sammon appears to be ahead of Johnston is terrifying.

Full strength team fails to score from open play v lower league opposition? It’s almost as if we have no creativity in the middle of the park and/or our strike force isn’t good enough.....

These were the areas everyone knew we had to strengthen yet it’s not been done!

Missing 4 penalties is shocking.

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The fact Sammon appears to be ahead of Johnston is terrifying.

The form of Curtis Main is more worrying, he seems to be going backwards fast. Spends more time grappling with defenders than he does actually shooting. He was lucky the goallie threw his shot in against Edinburgh City or else his entire pre-season would have been a blank so far. He’s been honking!

2 minutes ago, milo said:

Full strength team fails to score from open play v lower league opposition? It’s almost as if we have no creativity in the middle of the park and/or our strike force isn’t good enough.....

These were the areas everyone knew we had to strengthen yet it’s not been done!

Missing 4 penalties is shocking.

Never at full strength with Sammon starting. It is like handicapping a horse.

1 minute ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

The form of Curtis Main is more worrying, he seems to be going backwards fast. Spends more time grappling with defenders than he does actually shooting. He was lucky the goallie threw his shot in against Edinburgh City or else his entire pre-season would have been a blank so far. He’s been honking!

I think you could be to something there. Our striking options are a massive concern for me.

1 minute ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

I think you could be to something there. Our striking options are a massive concern for me.

1 minute ago, milo said:

We have to hope Johnson steps up to the plate, however we have seen it before with National League players; they tend to take 2-3 months to get up to Scottish Premiership pace, and some don’t manage the step up at all!

It's hard to imagine how bad Kipre and Hartley were if you weren't here. I hope with Hartley it's just fitness or even poor attitude and noting to do with his injury but he actually looked done today. Glaciers have moved faster.

The rest should be more familiar.

Prehistoric long ball tactics.

Non existent midfield sans Campbell

Atrocious youth development

Here comes the new season, same as the old season. I usually have people lining up to disagree with me but if the super fans were actually here today how can you disagree with any of the main points I've been making for a year now?

8 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's hard to imagine how bad Kipre and Hartley were if you weren't here. I hope with Hartley it's just fitness or even poor attitude and noting to do with his injury but he actually looked done today. Glaciers have moved faster.

Here comes the new season, same as the old season. I usually have people lining up to disagree with me but if the super fans were actually here today how can you disagree with any of the main points I've been making for a year now?

Great points ,the alarm bells were ringing on Tuesday night when Edinburgh City were the far better team in the second half 

9 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We sounded awful on the MFC radio broadcast. A lot of hard work to be done before the season starts in ernest.

20 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Because last season was a nightmare obviously.

Our penalty record (in all competitions) isn't as bad as I originally thought:

1986-87 Celtic Lost

1990-91 Morton Won

1995-96 Clydebank Won

1996-97 Alloa Lost

1997-98 Inverness Won

1999-2000 Raith Rovers Won

2003-04 Forfar Lost

2011-12 Hibs Lost

2014-15 Hamilton Lost

Still we had lost our previous 3 shootouts and so today's eventual outcome wasn't a surprise for me.

Not a great result or performance by the sound of things but its not the end of the world.  Hopefully lessons will have been learnt. To be fair Stranraer were probably ahead of us in terms of fitness. What does concern me is the lack of ammunition our strikers seem to be receiving - I assume that was the case today as it was for much of last Tuesday?  On a tight pitch today was always going to be lumping high balls to big strikers but it seems we couldn't achieve even that. 

Tuesday is a big match for us now and another slip up is unthinkable.  Write off today but Tuesday is a different matter. 

8 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Did we win something ,I must have missed that 

You won the moaning git contest so that is something. Mind it was a close call 

Not defending today however and agree with comments on Main. He has looked off the pace. Lucky to get £2 for Kipre based on last 2 games. 

But did not get too excited when we got to 2 cup finals last season so will not get too down before Tuesday and where we end up in the group.